Sunday Feb 15th Event missions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunday Feb 15th Event missions?

Hey guys, do we have any idea what missions we might be playing this upcoming Sunday? I think it would be nice to have one or two decided before we start so we don't spend too much time arguing over what to play that night? From the looks of things, we will probably have at least 60+ people (assuming everyone shows up). What missions are available that take advantage of that many people and are currently updated for ACE 1.02?

Re: Sunday Feb 15th Event missions?

Patience is a virtue...... We will let you all know before we all start.
    "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Tradionally, expect a 75% turnout at the event, meaning if 100 sign up, 75 will show up. Its a good rule of thumb, although you hope for 100% attendance, this never happens...

I will do my best to get some good players to sign up for the event, hoping to see how ArmA with ACE handles 64+ players...

Comment

It would be very intesrting to have a 64 player tvt mission. Beta was talking about creating a mission where you build FOB's on the island and the opposite team has to find and take them out, or at least something along those lines, we need a wide area engagement map to really put the way arma was made to be played at the test.
        PR ingame name - |TG-Irr| SilverJohn

Comment

Well if it's TVT I'm dropping out I don't really enjoy TVT at all
          "Gentlemen you can't fight in here this is the war room!"

Comment

Warning warning danger danger

Says the Robot from Lost in Space...

Hey, we are getting A LOT of people.. we might consider splitting up and using two different servers playing the same map??? Maybe we could have a kinda unofficial race to see who does better and faster?

Just a thought, because you know there's rarely a coop. map which could withstand the processing and bandwidth requirements for 45 people.
            Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton.

Comment

Re: Warning warning danger danger

Originally posted by GeneralCarver View Post
              Says the Robot from Lost in Space...

Hey, we are getting A LOT of people.. we might consider splitting up and using two different servers playing the same map??? Maybe we could have a kinda unofficial race to see who does better and faster?

Just a thought, because you know there's rarely a coop. map which could withstand the processing and bandwidth requirements for 45 people.
              I'm really opposed to this idea. The whole point of Sunday events (IMHO) is getting a larger than normal amount of people to play in the server at the same time in order to fully take advantage of ArmA's ability for 60+ player games.

Comment

We will have everyone on one server. At the moment I am shying away from a TvT simply because we do have a lot of people with varying skill levels attending. This is our first event in a while so I am inclined to make it a well organized CoOp with solid leadership so everyone gets the hang of it before we try and progress into something a bit harder.

As far as missions, we have have several options, but we want to retest them to make sure they fit the bill for you all this weekend. We will announce it once we play test them again.
                "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

A good TVT can be just as organized as a coop in my opinion. And the fact that the enemy shoots back makes for some nerve wrecking games.

Playername Sparks444 in BF2

Comment

TvT is fine in arma, just the right missions need to be created. Armed assault is not a CQB game, It was made for long range engaments 200meters + and thats what the maps need to be orientated around when playing TvT
                    PR ingame name - |TG-Irr| SilverJohn

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigC View Post
                      We will announce it once we play test them again.
                      In the odd chance you need players for said playtesting feel free to PM me (or post here). Really hope this goes well...

[edit] offtopic, but TheBigC I was curious if you knew the bandwidth limitations of the server? if I knew this I could hopefully test my maps privately with less players and do some math to predict the bandwidth usage at full capacity. (I guess I'd also need to know some of the server.cfg settings you use too, though)
                      Last edited by Homer Johnston; 02-11-2009, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Trust me, bandwidth is never a issue on the server. It is a dedicated gaming server that TG runs and can handle any game (or even combination there of) out there. Resource wise it is also fine. The issue comes into play when there is JIP, that chokes out the current server instance and is what is perceived as a resource or bandwidth issue, but like I said it is not.

Originally posted by Ivan_the_bad View Post
                        TvT is fine in arma, just the right missions need to be created. Armed assault is not a CQB game, It was made for long range engaments 200meters + and thats what the maps need to be orientated around when playing TvT
                        I agree ArmA excels at being able to have epic battles over large masses, but smaller engagements are fine too. All of it is contingent of how the mission maker lays out the battle over said area. The issue simply with TvT is more of a organization thing and is kind of daunting for newer players. Not to say that after a event or two we cannot get into some awesome TvT, it is simply a night mare first time out the door for a lot of people who so far has signed up. I would like to see one of the subsequent events be a TvT.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigC View Post
                          Trust me, bandwidth is never a issue on the server. It is a dedicated gaming server that TG runs and can handle any game (or even combination there of) out there. Resource wise it is also fine. The issue comes into play when there is JIP, that chokes out the current server instance and is what is perceived as a resource or bandwidth issue, but like I said it is not.
                          alright, thanks muchly. the one or two times I have actually seen it bog down not due to JIP's, I will guess was likely a little CPU bottleneck then -- a mission with 400+ AI, and 40 players ... ArmA can only use one CPU, after all! Just something to keep in mind when designing big missions...

I'd also agree about coop being more "forgiving" to our newer players, an important point, it'd be nice not to scare 5-20% of the potential future-playerbase away.

Comment

work called, ill be working until 430pm EST... hopefully ill be back for tail end of the first mission.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X