Thanks for a great event - Sunday 2/15

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for a great event - Sunday 2/15

I'd like to thank the admins and Steven and all the other Squad Leaders who stepped up today to make sure we had a smooth and successful event. Definately one of the prime examples of the TG ArmA Community, and am looking forward to next sunday's event! I know I'm not the only one who's thankful, so speak up! And see you all next week.

Post your screenshots, videos, recollections at the AAR thread here:

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-a...ml#post1214117

and sign up for the next event on Sunday, Feb 22nd here:

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-a...ary-event.html

| |

Re: Thanks for a great event - Sunday 2/15

absolute blast. I had a great time.
    Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton.

Comment

Fantastic event. Hope it's a frequent occurance. It's always great to have large scale operations. Cheers to admins and organisers.

Comment

Thanks to all at TG for running such an event for Spt-members and non-spt. It is always fun when I show up. Your missions are unique and diverse. And special mention to the admins for running a tight ship with out the bull-whip.

Comment

It's very pleasing and very rewarding for all of us admins to see you guys enjoying yourselves on the servers. It's a pleasure playing this game with you all and Sunday's mission was good fun. Great job leading SS and to be fair, also to BigC for altering his mission at short notice to give a different map to run on. Well done also to the other squad leaders, by all accounts, team members seem to have enjoyed themselves under your leadership.

Good job fellas!
          BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

Too bad (atleast for me) it looks like all events are set up for EST times , so I can't join at any time unless I get late shift the next day, call in sick or quit like after 2 hours (getting up at 4.30 GMT, I need my sleep).

Looks like you had some fun. I'm jealous :p .

Skychief/Icewind.123/Icewindo
            Stargate Mod / Random stuff

Comment

I have to say this has to be one of my worst events at TG, It was FAR from organised, communication was completely borken, no assigned tranport, leaders and players kept dropping due to crashes then not allowed back in.

planning was very disoragnised and mission objectives were not followed correctly. Every single town got clread when infact, we could have gone around them and done the mission in 1 hour rather than the 3 that it took.
              Like sam said, in baghdad you dont go clear every single village to get to the objective, you simply go around them.

I dont understand why teamspeak was not used, as it is crucial to keep squads organised and to keep ingame coms clear for other players, and im sure every one that was to take a SL position would have known how to use the application. Also using side chat voip to give orders to leaders was a bad idea, because it is very easy to miss any orders given to you, as there is so much chatter going on.

There was no assigned transport or if there was, it was very unclear to what any one was assigned too. By now my squad dropped down to 4 men since every one ells quit out of frustration from the lack of organisation and my squad ended up jumping from stryker to stryker as none of them seemed to have a clue to what was happening except for, shoot over there.

At best this event felt like evolution blue, with a cluster of bluefor, attacking town by town, to finanly get to the jackpot city and blow up all the antenas(airfield).
              This is not what TG is about, and i found that the event was very disapointing and had nothing tactical about it.
              Hopefuly future events will not turn out the way this one did.
              PR ingame name - |TG-Irr| SilverJohn

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan_the_bad View Post
                At best this event felt like evolution blue...
                Steady on now, no need for that foul language :)

Comment

I have to say this has to be one of my worst events at TG, It was FAR from organised, communication was completely borken, no assigned tranport, leaders and players kept dropping due to crashes then not allowed back in.

planning was very disoragnised and mission objectives were not followed correctly. Every single town got clread when infact, we could have gone around them and done the mission in 1 hour rather than the 3 that it took.
                  Like sam said, in baghdad you dont go clear every single village to get to the objective, you simply go around them.

I dont understand why teamspeak was not used, as it is crucial to keep squads organised and to keep ingame coms clear for other players, and im sure every one that was to take a SL position would have known how to use the application. Also using side chat voip to give orders to leaders was a bad idea, because it is very easy to miss any orders given to you, as there is so much chatter going on.

There was no assigned transport or if there was, it was very unclear to what any one was assigned too. By now my squad dropped down to 4 men since every one ells quit out of frustration from the lack of organisation and my squad ended up jumping from stryker to stryker as none of them seemed to have a clue to what was happening except for, shoot over there.

At best this event felt like evolution blue, with a cluster of bluefor, attacking town by town, to finanly get to the jackpot city and blow up all the antenas(airfield).
                  This is not what TG is about, and i found that the event was very disapointing and had nothing tactical about it.
                  Hopefuly future events will not turn out the way this one did.
                  Ivan which squad were you on?

I think everyone in Bravo, knew which vehicle they were getting in, which direction, position and formation they were to be in at all times. We avoided sweeping each town center but cleared the perimeter. Set up a successful OP on a checkpoint and co-ordinated inbound fire to that position followed by forward recce of the bridge islands and airfield before we had any losses.

As an SL, my comms were clear, I heard occasional instructions from my PCO as required and I simply used side channel to advise sit rep and contact report.

So, I believe your experience may have been unique to your group. I am pretty sure everyone in Bravo knew what they were doing, when, where and why, at all times through this mission.

As to complaints about people not being allowed in. Your simply wrong here as many people asked the admin channel to be let in and they were if they had started the game. As to observations about going around towns? I hope and pray you dont take this attitude when leading a squad. If you do not at least use your recon team to ensure there are no considerable threats in a position "BEHIND" your primary assault objective, you may get a very nasty surprise halfway through your engagement from the rear. Possibly bringing all vehicles through said towns was a mistake considering the IED threat, but to simply avoid them altogether and then pay the price later, could have been devastating to the entire platoon. So I disagree with your tactical analysis of the PCO's choice in general.

This obsession by some with regards comms, is becoming tiresome. It all comes down to discipline. My guys knew that if the side net opened with taffic, everyone stopped talking a it may have impact on our squad. Once traffic stopped we carried on talking. If you think comms in ArmA is bad, you wait until you experience it in the RL, if you ever do. Try picture in your minds eye a full assault, where you have people screaming all around you due to contact, inter squad radio comms, other unit radio chatter and mortar rounds exploding around you and bullets cracking off the surrounding terrain. You barely hear yourself think! Yet some here seem to think that using TS is in some way more realistic because its quieter???????? If you have any intention of going into the regular armed forces, I suggest you get used to NOISE, CONFUSION and more information than your brain can handle, if you intend not to get your head blown off.

It's a shame you dont feel you had the same experience from the very same game that we were playing, you do seem to be in the minority on that, but we will do all that we can to ensure you have a more pleasurable game next time.

BD1
                  Last edited by Blackdog1; 02-17-2009, 04:03 PM.
                  BlackDog1

Comment

Hey blackdog its true that the experience might have been only in my squad, or it might be that every one ells tolerated, or thought what was happening was normal. I completely understand that in real life there is a hella lot of noise, but in real life sound travels differently and you dont have to listen to the radio clutter if your not the radio man.

Now if teamspeak was used, 1 person in each squad could have been radio man, and the radio man could have passed on messeges to the SL and CO when the time was right.
                    This way the rest of the squad can communicate on direct without having any inturuptions, in critical moments when you hear CONTACT on direct then side channel comes on and you hear your co saying 'okay no squad b go wait there and secure the .... etc etc'. mean while your contact report was broken and you lost a person because voip got clutterd.

However though i appreciate the way you put your post forward politely, and hopefuly in the future things turn out better. :)

Comment

but in real life sound travels differently and you dont have to listen to the radio clutter if your not the radio man.
                      However though i appreciate the way you put your post forward politely, and hopefuly in the future things turn out better. :)
                      With regards to polite posts! But of couse! ;)

Heheh, I was a combat signalman with the Royal Signals Regiment and in my day in the early 90's, I was jonny on the spot for frontline battle comms. In GW1 our unit went from comms battle reports to laser designators with direct contact with air assets providing strike support as Forward Air Controllers/Target Designators. I agree that in that time,there was more reliance on one guy to do the comms.

Now...not so much. All units are pretty much wired up in some way shape or form and yes you do get to hear other "non-directed at you" radio chatter.

As to the game, it's not ideal, but just a personal opinion for what it's worth, I cannot stand using TS and VON at the same time. For me its either one or the other. With discipline, I can make the ingame VON work effectively enough.

Side channel is critical and ALL units should be listening to it period. Why? If for example PCO is in short burst contac with a squad "Moving from a to b as you suggested" that may be critical for you to know, as the hedge row you are currently looking at, suddenly moved and just as you are about to pull the trigger, you realise that this is group that just advised their movement position. You notice that around the IED town, I gave very clear and regular updates as to where Bravo was in the tree line to the PCO over side channel.

This was not to be annoying to others, but to save my guys from getting shot in the butt by a friendly that may be a little twitchy on the trigger. While some may find that inconvenient, my priority is keeping my squad alive and if that means I want everyone to know where we are in the AO, then so be it.

Direct Channel as a matter of principle should not be used for ANY substantial information relevant to the SL. Why? Critical information with regards contact must be sent in as clear and concise audible transfer as possible and that is GROUP channel. This affects only your squad members. So if it is important, it stays on GROUP, if not and is general chit-chat/questions to a nearby teammate as to "what's that over there", then that stays on direct. So in short.... YES...SIDE channel does and should take priority over your personal and squad comms.

I believe there is a "perception" by some as to what comms "should" be like. The reality is, Squad Leaders are simply not enforcing proper comms disciplne in their squads period, IMO. Certainly from what I have seen when taking a grunt position in some other squads.

An SL MUST keep a tight grip on his team and that means NO TALKING period in the AO, unless really needed. When not in the contact area, direct chat is good fun and adds the atmosphere of talking in the RL. But the sound quality, direction, audio change capability simply is not there in this game, to use Direct channel for any serious information to be conveyed.

Again, much of the above is purely personal opinion, much of which based on past experience and is no way shape or form policy here per se, but I believe less "chat" in general in the contact area other than team leaders or contact reports, is good battlefield discipline anyway.

AS a final point of note.... The biggest issue I had personally in game was not being able to concentratefully on my comms with my squad due to all the "server unlock" requests that we were getting on TS!!!!!!!!!!!! ;) But then the duties of admin are not all paved in gold! ;) You simply deal with it and do the best you can!

BD1
                      BlackDog1

Comment

one thing I don't think many people realize, is how much more insanely difficult it is to keep a respawn/JIP game under controlled command... I've only done PltCO about ... twice, one night at TG, and I guess I got reasonable praise for a job well done afterwards both times, but one of them was a JIP map and I think that alone multiplied the confusion for me by 1.5x... as for total Respawn missions, sometimes they are just impossible to keep organized. It's not the mission designer's fault or the commander's -- it's just difficult for the already-stressed PltCO to keep track of all the extra "tiny problems" it brings him.

I've said this elsewhere on this forum, but humans simply cannot keep track of too many things at the same time...

All things considered the event was good, Segal did a great job and I'm wondering why I haven't posted in the signup thread for next Sunday yet! (And why YOU haven't! heh.)

edit:
                        Originally posted by Blackdog
                        You notice that around the IED town, I gave very clear and regular updates as to where Bravo was in the tree line to the PCO over side channel.
                        And that is why you didn't get blasted by this lad's M2 :D

Comment

IVAN... your like the only one complaining... everyone else seems to be talking about having a good time. That says something bro. : )

and one more point... Its easy to critique in hind sight. If someone feels they can lead a mission better.. you guys need to be stepping up to the plate. All of you know, even on our server, there is often a shortage of volunteers for leadership positions. Good leadership can come from view others mistakes, so for the sake of successful mission, organization and a fun time, by all means start volunteering if you think you can organize things better. People will listen.
                          Last edited by GeneralCarver; 02-17-2009, 07:44 PM. Reason: And one more thing..
                          Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton.

Comment

Im not complaining, but simply pointing out facts, that i thought went wrong with the games on the 15th. I think the only reason no one ells is saying any thing negative is becasue things i pointed out are becoming the norm on the server, thus every one thinks, thats how things are done.

The things i pointed out 'did' happen and im going to stick by my point that the event did not go well.
                            It does seem Teamspeak is slowly being ruled off the books, and i wouldnt be surprised if it goes completely now.

It just seems weird to me, to have every person on the team hear irrelevant things on side when the messege can be told in private on ts to the person it concers(SL). Is it really so hard to get onto Teamspeak, get all the leaders into 1 channel to communicate orders, and all the players only use direct and group ingame, coms issue solved.
                            It is very bizzare that you guys dont see TS as a useful tool and almost seems like your too lazy too use it, but thats just my opinion.

Comment

Im not complaining, but simply pointing out facts, that i thought went wrong with the games on the 15th. I think the only reason no one ells is saying any thing negative is becasue things i pointed out are becoming the norm on the server, thus every one thinks, thats how things are done.
                              The things i pointed out 'did' happen and im going to stick by my point that the event did not go well.
                              It does seem Teamspeak is slowly being ruled off the books, and i wouldnt be surprised if it goes completely now.
                              It just seems weird to me, to have every person on the team hear irrelevant things on side when the messege can be told in private on ts to the person it concers(SL). Is it really so hard to get onto Teamspeak, get all the leaders into 1 channel to communicate orders, and all the players only use direct and group ingame, coms issue solved.
                              It is very bizzare that you guys dont see TS as a useful tool and almost seems like your too lazy too use it, but thats just my opinion.
                              Ivan,

Mature discussion is running the risk of disappearing out of the window here and I encourage you to reread your post and edit as required. You have already admitted that your experience may have been squad related as many other squad members have noted their enjoyment of the game. Comments like "Irrelevant things" on side channel and then calling people lazy, is not going to advance anyone's thoughts of you personally.

The mission itself was a success and completed therefore in my personal opinion the event went well.

As to the other comments about teamspeak not being used at all, general standards on the server, ect etc etc. Again I encourage you to sit back and rethink these comments. There are more current and former serving armed forces personnel than you can shake a stick at here at TG, who will all gladly teach you a little more about what you "think" you know.

If you want to discuss this further then give BigC, myself or any of the other admins a shout on TS, we are always on and we can discuss this is a more constructive manner.

Just because somone chose to do something one way, that might not have been your way, does not make it wrong.

I expect more from you than the post above and if you wish to be part of this community then learning how to deliver your thoughts in a constructive manner will become key, if you wish to remain here.

BD1
                              BlackDog1

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse