Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An interesting look at VBS1

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBYmb9PN-Yc[/media]
    Quite interesting, shows just how versatile the OFP engine is. The Army still use it for training...

Re: An interesting look at VBS1

Heck yeah! Canadian Forces!

-- I always wanted TG to be different than anyone else out there. We need to be unique in what we offer and how we play, if not we are simply competing with everyone else. --
    The BigC

Comment

Lol, yeah. At first I was wondering why the French were wearing Marpat :P

Silly me :)

Comment

Originally posted by Harpo245 View Post
        Lol, yeah. At first I was wondering why the French were wearing Marpat
        CADPAT not marpat :(

Comment

Wish I had a video of some of the stuff I've been involved with recently re: VBS2 and how it's used by the Army (they just got an enterprise license for it) and their sim training. It's pretty incredible. I'd love to see what a group of ArmA players would think if they had a chance to go to one of the Army's sim centers and play with the various training incarnations of it.

Comment

Very interesting stuff and go Canada!

As long as there is man there will be wars-Albert Einstein

No man,No problem-Josef Stalin

Comment

Originally posted by Oakley View Post
              CADPAT not marpat :(
              CADPAT is made full of win.

-- I always wanted TG to be different than anyone else out there. We need to be unique in what we offer and how we play, if not we are simply competing with everyone else. --
              The BigC

Comment

I am terribly sorry, CADPAT then... Please don't ban me :(

Here's another video I remember watching a while back, it's a 30 minute preview of VBS2. Shows some of the interesting features. Does this video do it justice, Dslyecxi?
                http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=vbs2&emb=0&aq=f#

Comment

Originally posted by Harpo245 View Post
                  I am terribly sorry, CADPAT then... Please don't ban me :(

Here's another video I remember watching a while back, it's a 30 minute preview of VBS2. Shows some of the interesting features. Does this video do it justice, Dslyecxi?
                  http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=vbs2&emb=0&aq=f#
                  I made that video... I may be biased. ;)

There is a more recent one here, also mine:
                  [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgVU8WljP1k[/media]

The problem with both of them is simply that they shows what some of the features are, but don't really convey how cool it all is when you have 30 people training on desktop systems, linked in with 30 training on surround-screen HMMWV trainers, who are then linked in with several helo crews flying in actual helo sims, which are then interfaced with VBS2 via HLA/DIS, and then all of that is operating in a much larger context as well, and everyone can be all over the country, yet participating in the same operation, etc etc etc.

Definitely recommend checking out their official site for more news/info/etc:
                  http://www.vbs2.com

Comment

....I want

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
                    So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

The national leader school here has been using Battlefield 2 as a support to existing courses. The instructors dream is of course VBS2, and we may get it within 2010/2011.

Leopard/CV-90 armored personnel has had simulators in addition to field-training for a long time, so why not infantry? We have a long way to go to keep up with the US army/marines in their integration of web/technology though.

Playername Sparks444 in BF2

Comment

Very impressive, Dslyecxi. I didn't realise it was that deep, what with the flight sims, HMMWV console and even international VBS2 centres all interlinked. The video I linked is a bad example, only realised now that it is 2 years old (not saying the video's bad :)).

I suppose a lot of recruits/soldiers can learn from VBS2, it would be great to see more countries adopt the system (if they can get by the price-tag), can help put the theory into perspective for recruits, help support BIS and also to help cooperation between the different armies in the case of worst case scenario.

Also, I hope that BIS realise someday that if they take many elements and features from VBS, they can create a proper Military Sim, for sure ArmA hasn't lived up to that promise. It's as if they were talking about VBS2 in the interviews and previews prior to the games release. I'm sure I'm not the only person who thinks this...

Then again, the VBS Team could just take a tour bus around the world and let people play it for a few bucks :P

Sparks, was VBS1 not considered? The price of that has dropped since VBS2, and I'm sure it's still supported :)

Comment

Still is considered, I would be surprised if they went for an older piece of software at this point though, seeing as the system would have to last a good while. Computers are cheap anyhow, considering the value of equipment being used/misused in training.

I wish the same in regards to Arma. But frankly I doubt BI has the heart for it. Its the best we have anyhow. Like someone said on BI forums:

Its not that arma is so good, its just that everything else out there is crap

Playername Sparks444 in BF2

Comment

Originally posted by sparks50 View Post
                            Its not that arma is so good, its just that everything else out there is crap
                            And that's the sad truth :(

Comment

Why do they have to look so cool! You know if you wanted to play though, a person could just join the military right?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X