Server optimization

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server optimization

Been having some trouble latley connecting to server with lots of people on.

Also there has been tons of lag and crashes more often.

Server seems to be running at low FPS, i think new ACE patch has something to do with that, but i might be wrong.

Getting tired of shooting targets that teleport around the screen than fall down 30 seconds later after taking a full clip. So i decided to make this thread.

Here are few suggestions on server optimization:

- Enable Signature check (Only addons with key's allowed - less strain on the server)
    - Disable custom faces (Creates server lag when players are connecting since player has to download everyones face through the server)
    - Disable custom sounds (Creates server lag when players are connecting since player has to download everyones sounds through the server)

How this can be done:

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/A...don_Signatures
    http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/basic.cfg
    http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/server.cfg
    http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/A...dicated_Server

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bi...T;f=73;t=69038
    (DAnti-Cheat) Works great for limiting mods/addons certain custom files.

More commands for server optimization:
    http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bi...T;f=73;t=63934

Also a small suggestion:
    - Disable crosshairs.
    - Durgs veg fix (server side).

Re: Server optimization

yay I support this man.^

Comment

I honestly have seen an improvement in my FPS with the new ACE mod. I understand that many people are having more issues but I'm not sure too many people would be willing to give up there beloved Sound Mods.

As for the signature checks TG had enough problems trying to get everyones mod working and making sure people put them in correct places in the first time. With the requirement of the server keys for each mod you are now asking people, some technological savy and others not, to go back into there DL folders and move those keys. I can see that causing a slight issue.

Custom faces are no biggie and Im sure most would agree that if TG wants to disable them than we all would.

Overall I agree that the server has seemed to slow down a bit (only during connecting for ) and some changes may need to be optimized or we just go to ACE and demand a hotfix =P
      "Learn to obey before you command"
      - Solon of Athens
      "Ah! The generals! They are numerous but not good for much!"
      - Aristophanes

Comment

You guys in America have no idea how bad it is in england. Basically to shoot a target it goes like this
        1) which way is the target running, adjust aim too slightly in front
        2) is there any wind? if so counteract
        3) raise sites slightly for bullet drop
        4) shift your sights 0.2rad ( 12 degrees) in any random direction and hope that your bullet lands in the right place for when it finally reaches the server
        Obviously there is a little hyperbole there, but not that much. haha
        Before you judge a man, try walking a mile in their shoes first. That way your a mile away and you have their shoes.

Comment

Glad that you brought this back up.
          Also disabling custom faces disables cheats (some).

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Originally posted by Medipilot View Post
            - Disable custom sounds (Creates server lag when players are connecting since player has to download everyones sounds through the server)
            Heh, no. Disabling that would not be a wise idea, VOP is the BEST thing to happen to arma since ace.
            |TG|Ghost02
            TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

I agree with no custom sounds, they CTD people often. Custom faces are awsome and I would miss mine but if it helps the server dramatically then I would give it up. Signed addons can be harsh at times like if people are using older versions of a mod or an incompatible mod. I have to disagree with Danti cheat because it has to scan people every so often which creates very bad lag spikes.
              |TG-73rd|Socomseal
              |TG-73rd Member| Former TG Irregular ArmA Platoon Leader| Former TG ArmA Admin XO| TG Pathfinder - Spartan 1 |TGU ArmA Instructor |Former TG-18th Member| |Former TG-1st Member|

"Its easy to argue about issues from afar. But until you have experienced the issue first hand, you have not seen all the facts."

Carver you will be cut off for a long time before reinforcements can reach you "I am the reinforcements the main force is only coming to bring me body bags and to clean up the mess Im about to make" - General Carver

Comment

Originally posted by socomseal93 View Post
                Signed addons can be harsh at times like if people are using older versions of a mod or an incompatible mod.
                These two cases are exactly why I'd like to have signing switched on. None wins if people are indeed using old or otherwise incompatible mods.

Server-wise I would completely understand enforcing signed addons given how much trouble mp-incompatible addons can potentially cause. An extreme example would be ACE on a non-Ace server: You'll crash it in no time at all, at least that was the case with older versions of ACE. Other mods(for example XAM) may very well do this on an ACE-server. Personally I'd be very disappointed if signing is switched on, since I have LOTS of "personalization mods" running besides the TG required ones. These include replacement models for several weapons and units, Instantviewdistance, PROPER plants, PROPER world, personalized UI, VOP Sounds etc... As far as I know these have no ill effects on the server in multiplay, and I'd have a hard time giving them up. Should TG decide to enforce "signed TG-mods only" I'd be a bit dissapointed because from the player's perspective incompatible mods haven't been causing that much trouble on the server. At the same time I'd fully understand why the admins decided to go ahead with it.

As far as custom faces and sounds go: If it improves things then hell yeah, get rid of them. Custom faces are already somewhat of a pita because some faces in .jpg-format cause a 0.5 second stutter, a complete pause, every time the wearer of that face enters or exits your field of view. It seems that the face doesn't even have to be very big, because when asking people about this I've heard their face is usually something like 50 kb in size, which isn't that big. AFAIK faces in .paa-format(the "natural" texture format of Arma's engine) do not cause this, but there's also seems to be no way to enforce .paa-only faces. Another thing to look at: non-power-of two sized faces and squad logos, images whose dimensions are not 2^something(128x128,256x256,etc), cause a CTD on many Ati-users. What this means in practice is when the player wearing such face or logo enters your vision BANG, instant ctd. This seems to be a problem between Ati and the Arma engine, and I'm not positive at all there's anything a server admin can do about it. Just ranting here :)

For a finishing touch, important information for all custom-face users. How to make sure your face or squad-logo doesn't cause trouble to other players:
                1) Make it as small as possible. No absolute size here, the smaller the better. Mine is a 256x256 .paa
                2) Make sure it's in .paa format. Among other problems .jpgs look way too bright on Ati-cards.
                3) Make sure it's in power-of-two dimensions.
                Last edited by Fincuan; 04-25-2009, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Were these problems with latency/FPS/whatever occurring before the recent ACE patch? If not, then maybe the best course of action would be to contact the ACE team to investigate this issue.

Maybe the combination of the recent 1.16 beta patch and the recent ACE patch are causing conflicts?

Answer those two questions before throwing around hand-holding measures such as signed TG mods and denial of custom sounds/custom faces.

Comment

Personally I have not had any more trouble after the patches than before them. The measures suggested have been common on many other Arma servers to increase overall performance and stability even before these came out. Whether they're successful or not only a server admin could really answer, but it's a known fact that for example some mods aren't very healthy for server stability. The TG servers crash once in a while too, and not all crashes seem to be related to any particular mission.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost02 View Post
                      Heh, no. Disabling that would not be a wise idea, VOP is the BEST thing to happen to arma since ace.
                      I'm pretty sure that custom sounds != VON.
                      Custom sounds are the sounds you can activate via your radio, and Socom is right about the CTD problems. All of these are good ideas and should be implemented.

Also, just like to report zero conflicts/problems with ACE 1.07 or beta 1.16 or any mods I run.

Comment

The server and the performance is great for me, even with custom faces and sounds. NON signed addons is a big advantage on our server, because besides ACE, i use a widescreen UI fix (i hate those big letters and big UI).

Oh and custom faces are great for recognizing your teammates, gives it a personal note, even though im not a fan of spiderman faces or flagfaces.

Comment

I agree with Rocco :)

Custom sounds and custom faces made ARMA a bit more special then it already was. God i hate the stock sounds...

Im not having any of the problems mentioned by the players above.
                          A day of battle is a day harvest for the devil

Comment

ArmA Sound mods (compatible with ACE)= Yes
                            Players custom sounds (via radio)= WRONG!
                            Players custom faces...I'm sittin' on the fence.

Nuff said.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Today I monitored the server with the "#monitor" command. Its shows the ram used, server "frame rate" (a measurement of server performance) and data downloaded/sent.

We were playing one of my missions on an ACE island with about 30 people. The server was reading 11-20 FPS. This is very bad. Anything under 30 is not good.

I know my mission should be good, it has a low view distance and hardly any scripts at all, save the BASf framework, which has proven to be good.

I will note that Server 1 was running domination with about 6 people connected. It was running at about 30-40 fps. So, clearly, more CPU is being routed to server #1 as far as I can tell.

To really max out the server performance, mission need to have as few scripts running as necessary, low server side view distance and probably be the only server running on the machine. I know TG wants two servers, but unless we sort out the CPU sharing better, I think we might have to limit the scope, scale, and extent of what is done in large player count cooperative missions.

Thats my take at the moment. I'm still getting a feel for these servers. Just when I think I can predict their behavior, something like today happens. So tomorrow I could change my mind.
                              Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X