Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi All! Where do I start?

Hi All,
    I'm new to ArmA but would like to play with individuals who want to work to real life tactics. I think this is what TG is all about.

My question is how do I get started. I'm not new to FPS' but haven't played many in recent years beyond Americas Army.

I'm a reserve in the British Army so do have some experience with fireteam/squad/platoon operations.

Any pointers at to where I should start reading/what I should start doing

Pete.

Re: Hi All! Where do I start?

To play on the TG servers, you need to install some add-ons - see the "getting started with ArmA at TG" thread here, I can't post links yet. After that, it's pretty much just a question of jumping on. You might want to familiarize yourself with ACE before playing, but in general if you just play as a grunt and follow orders nobody will really pick on you for doing things wrong. I'm also really new to actual tactical play and so far it's been all fun.

Comment

Welcome and enjoy:

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-a...cal-gamer.html

Comment

Originally posted by cctoide View Post
        To play on the TG servers, you need to install some add-ons - see the "getting started with ArmA at TG" thread here, I can't post links yet. After that, it's pretty much just a question of jumping on. You might want to familiarize yourself with ACE before playing, but in general if you just play as a grunt and follow orders nobody will really pick on you for doing things wrong. I'm also really new to actual tactical play and so far it's been all fun.
        Thanks..I see...so it's just a matter of joining the server. I assumed that eventson that server would be pre-arranged. Since that's not the case I'll give it a go.

Comment

Currently there's pre-arranged events on Friday and Sunday evenings. These tend to have more players and be more organized than normal TG gameplay, with more experienced TG-members leading, but your average evening on the server won't be a let-down by any means. Normally the action is pretty organized, and playercounts can easily be equal to or better than at the events :icon14:

edit: Actually it seems like there's no Sunday event thread at the moment, which means there probably will be no public Sunday event either this week.
          Last edited by Fincuan; 05-29-2009, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Welcome aboard. As the previous poster stated read up a bit then just jump in. Expect to follow orders and work as a team and you'll do fine.

Tactical Gamer ARMA servers foster development and leadership. Get your ears wet for a few days or weeksand don't be shy about leading even if you are new. The old hands will be your best soldiers and allies.
            sigpic
            |TG-1st|Grunt
            ARMA Admin (retired)
            Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Welcome,

At this stage I would say fimilarize yourself with the ingame basics and then you will be good to go for ARMA 2 next month.

Comment

Thanks for your advice and expect to see me on the server soon :)

Comment

Welcome to the community! Hope to see you around! If you have any more questions or need anything, feel free to ask around!

IN GAME ARMA: |TG-Irr| Lq.Snake

Comment

Glad to have seen you on the server this weekend. Teamplay was a bit spotty but there were people coming and going and there wasn't a good deal of leadership or organization. Keep coming back though and soon enough you'll run into a session you won't forget.
                    sigpic
                    |TG-1st|Grunt
                    ARMA Admin (retired)
                    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Originally posted by Grunt 70 View Post
                      Glad to have seen you on the server this weekend. Teamplay was a bit spotty but there were people coming and going and there wasn't a good deal of leadership or organization. Keep coming back though and soon enough you'll run into a session you won't forget.
                      I did enjoy it, I totally agree it was a little disorganised, but one thing that was very refreshing was the general sensibillity of people on the server. People were at least trying to work as a team which was fantastic.

Comment

Welcome. It's nice that there are two servers running here. Usually one is a bit less drawn out than the other at times when you don't want to wait 45 minutes for a game to start. Hope you have fun.

Comment

If you are new...well you might want to stay away from BD. I heard he eats babies...

Nah seriously. Welcome to TG and ArmA. Hope you found a new family and place to call a home like so many of us did. If you have any more questions be it here on the forums or ingame, feel free to send a PM my way. Always willing to help out new comers. Hey! We've all been new at some point.

As for ingame, as long as you follow the rules and SOPs and dont act like a total twat, i think you're set to have some good time on the servers. Dont be affraid to make some mistakes, we always learn from them. I think that's the most important thing in ArmA...never think that you can't do it.

-- I always wanted TG to be different than anyone else out there. We need to be unique in what we offer and how we play, if not we are simply competing with everyone else. --
                          The BigC

Comment

Originally posted by Xmaster View Post
                            If you are new...well you might want to stay away from BD. I heard he eats babies...

Nah seriously. Welcome to TG and ArmA. Hope you found a new family and place to call a home like so many of us did. If you have any more questions be it here on the forums or ingame, feel free to send a PM my way. Always willing to help out new comers. Hey! We've all been new at some point.

As for ingame, as long as you follow the rules and SOPs and dont act like a total twat, i think you're set to have some good time on the servers. Dont be affraid to make some mistakes, we always learn from them. I think that's the most important thing in ArmA...never think that you can't do it.
                            Thanks for that! Enjoying things so far. The main difficulty is translating the training I have had into the ArmA world. Also the US Army does things quite differently to the British. From looking at the training docs I'd say that the training on paper appears to be a lot better (don't know how that translates into ACTUAL training done though).

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X