Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training, BDs and SOPs?

Hi,
    having a lot of fun on the TG servers since starting with ArmA.

I'm wondering if TG has any scheduled times where people can practice Battle Drills and SOPs?

My main observation on the servers is people want to be professional but often there isn't the building blocks of BDs and SOPs (and even common tasks) to rely on to get missions done?

I appreciate that the servers are public and many of the players may be 'passing through' but there are new regulars like myself.

P.S.: I've been reviewing a lot of the US Army training documentation, looks like you really can 'self study' in preparation for training in the US Army. This is something that is tragically missing from British Army training.

Re: Training, BDs and SOPs?

TG offers TGU classes ( http://www.tacticalgamer.com/tactical-gamer-university/ ) that cover what you are requesting. Read through some of the info in that sub-forum and you should be able to find what you need. Also, the SOP information can be found at: http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-a...ncements-sops/
    |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Hi,
      Thanks for the link. It looks like joining an IHS may be the way to go, train together.

I was referring to Army SOPs (react to contact, etc)

Comment

Hello kneecaps,

First of all, Welcome to TG. You've made the right choice.
        I, like you have decided to become a regular on this server since TG style of play is what I was after much like you.
        Professionalism, and maturity with a good measure of fun included.

As for the TGU, I believe you can request that in the appropriate forum.

As for particular drills, there arent any that I'm aware of in the open public here at TG.

But there are some out there that are experienced and if they aren't too tired, could tickle your need for realism needs.
        Also, feel free to lead. It will get some experience for you.
        Start from low to high; Fireteam lead, Squad Lead/Section lead, Plt lead etc.

Looking forward to seeing you on the server.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Kneecaps was teaching me a little of Bounding yesterday. Was pretty fun actually.

"Start from low to high" ha ha, 2 weeks playing the game and I was leading a platoon for a few missions yesterday, err well trying to, seeing as how nobody else would even attempt. I think I did ok as a Fireteam and Squad lead though. I'm still way new to the game.

I don't remember who it was from TG, but they were teaching me and another guy how to call artillery on a map that was 5v5 all forward observers. It's intended to try and take out the other team with Artillery but seemed like a great artillery training map.
          Last edited by Snoopyowns; 06-09-2009, 08:04 PM. Reason: Addition
          ArmA
          Ingame: Snoopy
          Job: Mule

Comment

I am in the midst (and have been for a few months) of creating a TG template for TGU classs.

The idea being that each class will form part of the "TGU ArmA Guide" where you will be able to read a "class" and then different instructors can host the classes. Many here have expressed interest to help and I hope to make the announcement for the first class very shortly.

The first class will be:

"TG Mission Leading"

Ths will be an introduction class on what is expected of TG squad Leaders, Commanders and team leaders. It will cover some real basics of squad formation, positioning, reporting and movement. It will also cover mission review, resource selection and target designation.

This is not specifically "the way to move across a field" and we will not be teaching exact tactics and every country has a different approach to similar drills, but what we WILL be teaching is the "TG" way.

It may not be what is taught or run elsewhere, but it will be how we will be running and operating things here.

I expect to have a JULY date for this first TGU class.... further detail soon.

Oh...and welcome to TG! :D

Regards
            BD1
            BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

Originally posted by Blackdog1-22 Reg.SAS View Post

This is not specifically "the way to move across a field" and we will not be teaching exact tactics and every country has a different approach to similar drills, but what we WILL be teaching is the "TG" way.

Regards
              BD1
              Sounds good, I beleive there is lots of value in teaching when and where (roughly) to use movement techniques though (and other basics).

Basic fireteam formations and responsibilities, for example I often see the AR simply using the M249 as his personal M16 rather than the fireteam/squads supression weapon.

I won't go into any more specifics but these fundamentals are what builds buddy teams into fireteams, fireteams into squads (and so forth).

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by kneecaps View Post
                Sounds good, I beleive there is lots of value in teaching when and where (roughly) to use movement techniques though (and other basics).

Basic fireteam formations and responsibilities, for example I often see the AR simply using the M249 as his personal M16 rather than the fireteam/squads supression weapon.

I won't go into any more specifics but these fundamentals are what builds buddy teams into fireteams, fireteams into squads (and so forth).

Pete

All good points Pete to be sure. I think the difficulty lies in the nature of our join in progress type of servers and community. Drills take time, commitment and practice to become second nature. There isn't a lot of that now in our own TG ARMA community. That's not a bad thing it just is what it is.

I think the answer, at least in the short term, lies in the leadership in the field at the FT level. So much of the quality of play in ARMA is derived from quality leadership. Much more so than in a game like BF2 for instance.

Given clear concise orders TG players (generally) will do as told. "Column formation, 10 m seperation, walking pace...etc etc." "Saw gunner--your job is to suppress for advance. Don't go in front of the advanced assault team"."Bradley, stay behind the infantry by 30 meters"...specifics like that go along way.

So...to sum up...we're always looking for new players to step up and show that leadership.

See you in Schmalfelden.
                sigpic
                |TG-1st|Grunt
                ARMA Admin (retired)
                Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse