• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Face tracking without TrackIR

Was looking at some of my fav. game sites and just saw this:

A peek (and head tilt) into the future: head-tracking in FPS games

He mentions a program called faceAPI, so I looked it up:

http://www.seeingmachines.com/product/faceapi/

Looks like they have a free demo version, and you can request a license for non commercial use.

Check out this really cool video:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P7I7DOJJB0[/media]

Question is, how can we get that to work with ARMA and ARMA2?

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Face tracking without TrackIR

I believe their software outputs the same controls as a standard TrackIR headset, so the two should be interchangeable, albeit with (probably) less sensitivity.

You can hack the same thing together with a wiimote and a spare USB slot, if I remember correctly. The problem isn't so much detecting the face as it is detecting the sensitivity of the movement.

Comment

It looks like they are only releasing their API. That means, you cannot use it with games immediately, you still have to make the software that does the interface between their API and the sdk of games.

But this API seems to be different from trackir and freetrack. While the previous ones rely in markers to give the position of your head, this software seems to use only your face. It's a good idea, let's hope that someone picks it up and makes a end user software, for gaming.

But you have already a free alternative to trackir, freetrack. Right now it isn't working with ArmA2, due to the fact that BI is refusing to incorporate a open sdk to all head tracking devises (a free sdk is available at freetrack site), let's hope they change their minds and make ArmA2 compatible with every head tracking software/devises.

It's like the joysticks, every game as a standard sdk that makes the interface between the joysticks of any brand (even home made) and the game itself. But in this case BI, only as incorporated trackir sdk, which is encoded, and they are refusing to implement a standard sdk, like the one they have for joysticks.

There is a petition ongoing to have a free sdk (freetrack compatibility) with ArmA2, you can sign it here: http://www.petitiononline.com/arma2pet/petition.html

PS:
      I have made a thread about my freetrack setup here at TG, you can read it here.

And you can learn more about freetrack here: http://www.free-track.net/english/
      sigpic

PR BF2 Alias: NewOrder_JoyDivision

Comment

Yeah, Jorge, I really liked your post, and have actually posted links to it in other forums.
        But what I liked about this is all you needed was a webcam, and if you watch one of the vids above, it is pretty senstive.

You can get a webcam for like $30, and if someone did make this into gaming software and sold if for $30 or so, it would make it a much cheaper option, and without the challenge of making your own setup with freetrack.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

*frantically digs up his old friends number who went to MIT*

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X