Random Military Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random Military Thread

Just using this forum for this since ArmA1 is practiclly dead anyways, but I saw the most interesting Taliban video I've seen yet on live leak today ( http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=319_1248806092 ) and it had me wondering for awhile.
    For all those who have actually been in Iraq/Afghanistan and on FOBs and all that how effective do you feel mortar fire actually is?
    I mean to me it seems like it'd be like 5% chance that the mortar will actually find its way to the target (also video contradicting myself http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=df5_1214926978), different terrain will of course change the chances but besides for the pros of blowing enemy cover and disorienting the enemy it just seems like a sniper or marksman would be much more efficient. Which brings me to my next question:
    How much do you feel that friendly snipers placed in FOBs helped prevent/deter attacks? Snipers are probably the biggest cause of morales drop for soldiers, there can't be anything that will set you into an adrenaline rush than going from talking with your buddy to a civillian to your buddys body going limp and brief chaos happening every couple of seconds.

Also I know there have been numerous times where insurgents have been hunted and killed when they were trying to plant IEDs but if IEDs are #1 killer of troops (dont know if true but either way IEDs gotta be accounting for a high percentage of the deaths) then why not set up either random sniper outposts looking over prime spots for places where IEDs would be planted or having UAVs indefinitely(ish) hovering over the vehicle pathways? Even though it might cost a lot of money in the end it would seem like it'd be worth it (blown humvees, less loss of life, less destroyed equipment) and that the IED setters would eventually change tactic due to natural selection..
    "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
    'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Re: Random Military Thread

I'm not a soldier, never seen combat.

I would think the psychological effect of not knowing when or where those mortar rounds will fall has got to be significant. Could it be the Taliban are banking on this to mess up morale. Just a thought.
    sigpic
    |TG-1st|Grunt
    ARMA Admin (retired)
    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

You are suggesting that every mile of road in the country should be constantly over watched?

Playername Sparks444 in BF2

Comment

Grunt: Yea, as Im guessing you know there are multiple jihadist forums/sites which show all only positive propaganda (for them)

Sparks: No only saying that spots like bridges, turn points on main roads and roads connected up to FOBs should be more heavily monitored. The CIA is pretty damn crazy, if they put up motion sensors in the hills overlooking roads and spots where IED planting would be expected that would be lives saved and in the long run money saved. Kind of ranting in a sleep deprived state but just saying theres gotta be a better way to avoid IEDs rather than hoping that the armor will hold up or the IED was planted too deep or that it wont go off (electromagnetic defensive measures are pretty neat too).
        "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
        'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

I catch morters like footballs.. so I hope they are very accurate.
          Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton.

Comment

Just throwing in more random ****e.... Thought this was funny enough to sign in and put up for whoever to see it: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uPbDaNGIHY[/media]

has a bit of language, and camel gore...

Comment

Originally posted by Fenian420 View Post
              Just throwing in more random ****e.... Thought this was funny enough to sign in and put up for whoever to see it: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uPbDaNGIHY[/media]

has a bit of language, and camel gore...
              A VERY sad reflection of the stupidity currently manning the phones for the British Army...

"er yeah...I think Iraq is part of the commonwealth" JESUS H CHRIST.....
              BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/click/...ghanistan.html

and another one use google translate this time
                http://zafganistanu.pl/

Comment

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeEgYUUMFwI[/media]

Comment

Speaking from experiance, IED's and Indirect Fire Attacks are mainly used to disrupt the normal operations of the soldiers as well as provide a means of propoganda to the insurgents. Indirect Fire also aims to kill medical personel/first responders. 9/10 times they launch a few rounds and wait for the medics then launch more at the same spot. Its all designed to make the soldiers lose the will to fight.

(I have deployed twice to Iraq as a medic in an Infantry Company)

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

No comments :)

Comment

lol! but actualy i know alot of armys that use ski's and snow shoes but that is still a pretty funny picture imagine trying to flank some one in a fire fight with those on xD
                        <17:33:30> "siR_miLLs": i will come back for you...
                        <17:33:35>"|TG| NoDebate": go
                        <17:33:35> "|TG| NoDebate": go
                        <17:33:35> "|TG| NoDebate": go
                        <17:33:36> "|TG| NoDebate" was banned for 3000 seconds from the server by Tactical Gamer - TeamSpeak 3.0 (Anti-Spam measure, you are able to reconnect in 00:01:26)
                        <17:33:36> "|TG-Ω|HeadShot": ROFL!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X