Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any modders interested in a TG add-on and mission pack?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any modders interested in a TG add-on and mission pack?

I wanted to gauge the interest levels to see if we have enough folks to create a TG add-on and mission pack?
    |TG-12th| asch
    sigpic

Re: Any modders interested in a TG add-on and mission pack?

Oh how I wish I could! The more I look at ArmA the more worthless my almost-complete GR map feels.
    [volun]

Comment

Mission packs aren't really that necessary, since ArmA will send any missions to clients who don't have them. If you keep your missions of a reasonable size, it won't ever pose a problem. By "reasonable size" I mean that you don't throw in stupid, unnecessary things like soundtracks for each mission.

As to the addon aspect of things, the best way to do that is to do it in moderation, and only update it every two months or so. Constantly throwing in new addons will only cause havoc as people try to stay up to date with the latest versions of everything. Addon compilations may be great at the start of ArmA's existence, but as time wears on you're likely to find the big mods to provide a more consistent and enjoyable experience. Also, I would recommend that you keep your eyes peeled for the Wargames League mod when it comes to ArmA - it should be right up TG's alley.

Comment

I'm interested in the aspects around monitoring and admining of the game(technical part). From what I gather there is no externally available tools to follow the game, change maps view chat etc, that would, from my experience from BF series, be a valuable addition.
        --
        VI VI VI - the number of the beast

Comment

Originally posted by PanzerHans View Post
          I'm interested in the aspects around monitoring and admining of the game(technical part). From what I gather there is no externally available tools to follow the game, change maps view chat etc, that would, from my experience from BF series, be a valuable addition.
          Something like this would be valuable. Let's talk... when are you getting the game?
          |TG-12th| asch
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dslyecxi View Post
            Mission packs aren't really that necessary, since ArmA will send any missions to clients who don't have them. If you keep your missions of a reasonable size, it won't ever pose a problem. By "reasonable size" I mean that you don't throw in stupid, unnecessary things like soundtracks for each mission.

As to the addon aspect of things, the best way to do that is to do it in moderation, and only update it every two months or so. Constantly throwing in new addons will only cause havoc as people try to stay up to date with the latest versions of everything. Addon compilations may be great at the start of ArmA's existence, but as time wears on you're likely to find the big mods to provide a more consistent and enjoyable experience. Also, I would recommend that you keep your eyes peeled for the Wargames League mod when it comes to ArmA - it should be right up TG's alley.
            So how would you propose we distribute missions to the greater ArmA community and external servers if we don't package them? A mission pack is certainly necessary.

I appreciate your input, but I think you need to realize that not everyone here is new to the OFP/ArmA world, running servers for said games, mission development OR mod development. We've got a pretty long history with OFP and ran several servers for quite a long time. Tactical Gamer has produced mods and extensive mission packs for several games over the many many years we've been in existence.

This thread isn't to shoot down or detract from the ArmA add-on/mission pack, it's to promote and develop it.
            Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

What I think he's saying is what I believe also...

1.) At the moment, keep add-ons to a minimum, use what the game gave...already I join servers and can't because there using a certain add-on I don't have. it's OFP all over again. Now is not the time for add-ons, the game is still in development...kinda.

2.) If I host a server and you join, but you don't have my mission...it will automatically download. So I believe he's saying you don't need to make a pack, upload it and have others download and install it.

That said, do what you want.
              Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

I would be interested in making some missions, I will be getting the game this Friday.

You would have to make a mission pack so other servers could run the maps, right?

Comment

Originally posted by asch View Post
                  Something like this would be valuable. Let's talk... when are you getting the game?
                  I have had it for a few days already....
                  --
                  VI VI VI - the number of the beast

Comment

Originally posted by Magnum50 View Post
                    What I think he's saying is what I believe also...

1.) At the moment, keep add-ons to a minimum, use what the game gave...already I join servers and can't because there using a certain add-on I don't have. it's OFP all over again. Now is not the time for add-ons, the game is still in development...kinda.

2.) If I host a server and you join, but you don't have my mission...it will automatically download. So I believe he's saying you don't need to make a pack, upload it and have others download and install it.

That said, do what you want.
                    I agree with #1. At the moment, coming out with a ton of add-ons would be a pain in the ass. But they also take development time, so nothing would be coming out "at the moment" anyway. But considering things take development time, you may be looking 6+ months down the road. Who's going to go tell Mike to stop working on MFCTI for ArmA because they don't want to download add-ons? If you want to see things like MFCTI available within the next two to three quarters, the development needs to start EARLY. That said, I certainly have no desire to create any additional barriers to entry before the game is even released in the US.

As for #2. If TG develops missions like we did for GR, we still need a way to distribute them. Expecting other server operators to come play on our servers to be able to auto-download the missions so they can copy them up to their server is just silly. Not to mention folks that may want to try them out in single player. Mission packs have been an accepted form of distribution for OFP since time began, so I don't understand the comment that mission packs are "unnecessary". That makes zero sense to me. And yes, I understand the auto-download of missions.

I'd really like to see this thread get back on-track. It's purposes was to see if we have modders out there interested in TG add-on and mission development. Not to try and crush people's motivation. If you're not interested in the above, just pass on posting in the thread.
                    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Asch, I don't have ArmaA yet, but if the script engine is similar to OFP I loved making scripted maps that challenge.

Comment

asch, see my private message per our discussions in the past. ;)
                        It is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God - not by works, so that no one can boast. Ephesians 2:8-9/NIV

Comment

Asch,

I have a few ideas for small sided missions...covert insertions...etc....I'm sure none of my ideas are unique, but I'm going to try and start this weekend a bit. I haven't used the editor yet, except to take a flight in the Camel, so I'm sure I have much to learn.

Chappie

Comment

I am thinking the same thing Chappie. Covert insertions into a town, destroy something and fight your way out as all hell breaks loose.

Comment

My idea is this, not completely fleshed out, but you will get the idea...

If persistent campaigns are possible with follow-up missions based on the result of the objectives of the last mission, that'd be the best way to do this. However if not I'd like to see an online campaign. With the following features:

a) Mission results would determine the next mission in the series. The mission could change depending on the status of certain objectives, including secondary objectives completed or not completed; like a story-mode, choose your own adventure campaign.

b) If the game can't automatically select the next mission based on (a), there would be a flow chart which would tell you the next mission you needed to load.

c) The ability to have the missions be Players vs AI or Player vs Player where each side received specific instructions on the mission but if there were 'secret' objectives the 'other' team would not know what that objective was unless they figure it out by watch the players.
                              It is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God - not by works, so that no one can boast. Ephesians 2:8-9/NIV

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X