Automatic addon download

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatic addon download

So, Armed Assault downloads the mission from the server. That's cool. But what about addons.

As part of the my learning process, I'm building a pretty complex mission, and what I want to do goes beyond what is possible in just a mission- I want to create an addon to create a few new static objects. Can Armed Assault automatically download any necessary addons too, or would my mission be restricted to people who have manually installed the addon?

Re: Automatic addon download

Originally posted by jepzilla View Post
    So, Armed Assault downloads the mission from the server. That's cool. But what about addons.

As part of the my learning process, I'm building a pretty complex mission, and what I want to do goes beyond what is possible in just a mission- I want to create an addon to create a few new static objects. Can Armed Assault automatically download any necessary addons too, or would my mission be restricted to people who have manually installed the addon?
    I don't think they changed anything regarding this yet, so I'm guessing it acts exactly like OFP - in which case, yes, people will need to get the addon manually.

Comment

I suppose automatically downloading models and textures would be difficult, because you don't want to join a game and have your pc automatically downloading a gigabyte or whatever. Downloading just a map, or just the mission info for the the map you already have sounds to be the limit of what can/should be done automatically. Even if a server can handle such large downloads (by using a different server for the uploads), you wouldn't be getting a mirror that suits you.

Comment

From what I heard, OFPWatch will also work with Armed Assault. OFPWatch is a really fantastic tool that auto-downloads all appropriate add-ons required by the server. Clients are required to use the tool to launch the game, but it was insanely popular with OFP because it made things quite simple to connect to servers without having to figure out what add-ons needed to be downloaded.
        Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

I can't get OFPWatch to work. Probably just doing something wrong though.

Comment

I just went to the OFPWatch website and as I scrolled down one of the pics that is used to describe OFPWatch has an OFP TG server in the pic!! LOL

Chappie

Comment

Hehe. Yep, we used it extensively with our OFP servers.

It won't work right now, as we're not running the AutoAddon server for ArmA. I actually need to do some intensive testing/tweaking to see if it does indeed work.

Comment

Well, I've figured out how to write a manual guidance system for missiles without doing an addon, so I don't need to do an addon anymore. :^)

Comment

I take it from the previous posts that these "add ons" are usually quite small, because I can't see how you could automatically download a 1gb mod. Is this assumption correct?

Comment

No, they are not necessarily small. I've never seen a 1gb mod, but I have had to download 250+MB worth of add-on files to play on various OFP servers in the past. Granted, that was all done automatically through OFPWatch.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X