Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tactics: The Indian Sprint

Thought you guys might enjoy this.

In our last session (yesterday), we had an adversarial (player-vs-player) mission in which a small insurgent force had to ambush a larger BLUFOR patrol. The trick was that the BLUFOR guys were restricted to a narrow 300-400 meter path, so they had to engage from where they were and couldn't really pursue the enemy.

One tricky part of the patrol involved crossing a bridge - not once, but twice. Both times the BLUFOR squad I was in used an "indian sprint" technique to get across. This involved the last person running to the front of the formation, taking a position and looking outward, then the 'new' last person rushing up, taking a position, etc. With this method only one or two people are moving at any time, and good interval and fields of observation and fire are maintained, providing 360-degree security.

These first shots are from us going across the bridge for the first time. The other squad has already crossed and is holding the far side of the bridge.

Here we are providing security on the return trip as the other squad heads for the far side with their .50cal HMMWV.

Here's a video showing off the return crossing of the bridge, our 'indian sprint' movement, and even some contact with the enemy.
    http://ofp.umbr.net/videos/jan6_tact...an_sprints.wmv

This kind of technique should be easy to pull off even with people who haven't played together for that long. It can be put to great use in certain situations, especially when you're facing off against human opfor.

Re: Tactics: The Indian Sprint

That video is excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by Obi View Post
      That video is excellent.
      Yeah, that was pretty tight.

That seemed very realistic.

Thanks for sharing.
      (PO3) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Member
      (CPO) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Leader
      (LCDR) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Commander

Squad Member pledge to their SL:
      Squad Leader pledge to their team:
      Commander pledge to their SL:

Comment

Thanks for sharing Dslyecxi. A good discussion topic.

Here is a related topic by Steiner. Ignore the game (BF2) related parts of the discussion since ArmA is completely different than BF2 in many ways.

"Zipper-withdrawal"

Three points I'd like to discuss:

1) Due to the nature of the tactic, your squad seemed to spend a relatively longer time on the bridge. A place where you are very vulnerable and totally exposed. Wouldnt it be more suitable to use alternating bounding with fire teams which is the best tactical movement procedure to quickly pass threat zones like this?

2) When enemy fired on your squad, did SL consider to use smoke? Instead of engaging an enemy which has cover and advantage of elevation, wouldnt it be better to suppress/distract with a small fire element (one fire team maybe) and run to cover under smoke? By halting and engaging enemy, you give them a better opportunity to target from long range.

3) I consider Indian Sprint and Zipper Withdrawal type of procedures best applicable for situations where controlled retreat is necessary. Do you guys agree?
        Last edited by John CANavar; 01-08-2007, 11:35 PM.

Comment

I really do not know.

What I would like to get started is a sticky in the tactics thread (assuming it gets its own thread later on) were tactics are discussed.
          I for one, know very little about stuff like this. Bounding what?
          I do not know how easy it would be to get some fundamentals written down (column and line formation descriptions) and the more advanced stuff (pincher moves)

I believe something like this would do well, but modifeid to Armed Assault.
          Be good for myself and the new recruits to study over so they can perform these manuvers without confusion.

http://www.tacticalwiki.com/index.ph...ry#Squad_types

Comment

Related topic Rick: Tactical Movement: Bounding

Funny thing is the first sentence of the post is "Armed Assault is coming TG ! Lets refresh our "tactical" knowledge." :)

Comment

1) Due to the nature of the tactic, your squad seemed to spend a relatively longer time on the bridge. A place where you are very vulnerable and totally exposed. Wouldnt it be more suitable to use alternating bounding with fire teams which is the best tactical movement procedure to quickly pass threat zones like this?
              A few points..
              1. The platoon structure is not set up in that mission. It's an older one that hasn't been updated. I do not advocate color-coded fireteams, and even if I had been in command of the squad, I would not have used them.
              2. Due to the terrain, the bridge was actually extremely good cover once on it. The only vulnerability would be from someone at the far or near end of the bridge, firing down it, and since we had both ends secured by friendly forces, everything was kosher. The solid sides of the bridge were constant pieces of cover for the whole stretch of it, and they could protect us from fire from almost all of the likely ambush points. It's hard to tell due to the short duration of the video, and inability to really get a picture of the terrain from it, but we were a lot safer on the bridge than off of it. Thus, spending time crossing it - and potentially drawing fire while on it and best protected - was a valid tactic.
              3. We pretty much knew we were walking into an ambush by that point, so taking it slow and having the largest number of people scanning for threats at all times was the way to go.

2) When enemy fired on your squad, did SL consider to use smoke? Instead of engaging an enemy which has cover and advantage of elevation, wouldnt it be better to suppress/distract with a small fire element (one fire team maybe) and run to cover under smoke? By halting and engaging enemy, you give them a better opportunity to target from long range.
              WGL smoke isn't terribly useful in such a situation. There are too many rapid elevation changes, the smoke covers too small of an area, and it's basically more hassle to deploy than it's worth. That's assuming that anyone has smoke to begin with.

The mission was also restricted in movement for our side. We could do nothing fancy - there was literally a 2-300 yard lane in which we could manuever. That particular video doesn't show off much of the fight anyway.

3) I consider Indian Sprint and Zipper Withdrawal type of procedures best applicable for situations where controlled retreat is necessary. Do you guys agree?
              I don't really see us coming into situations where we need to retreat all that often in-game. If ever we do need to retreat, the teams are typically attrited enough to where a tactic like this would be less effective than simply doing paired bounds backwards. If you really need to get out of there in a hurry, doing indian sprints is just going to make you vulnerable at a time when everyone should focusing more on getting clear as quickly and as safely as feasible.

Comment

It does most certainly look like a safe way to cross the bridge in terms of observation and fire support. How ever, and an other idea in terms of tactics, is to treat the bridge as a street while crossing it. Given that any squad/group is exposed on a bridge, especially a bridge of such length as the one used in the example [where it would be difficult to provide effective fire support from one side of the river during the crossing] so should focus lay on getting the squad/group across as quick as possible. Although, as mentioned, the “Indian Sprint” is valid, would it not be better to always have the entire squad/moving forward and cutting the time exposed on the bridge.

One idea would be to place one half of the squad/group on the left side of the bridge, and the other half on the right side of the bridge [diagonal from each other] and move forward/across at the same time. One can keep more or less the same amount of observation moving forward like this (and have different fields of observation). If the team is fired upon is it easy to take a knee or get down on the ground in order to return fire. There is also an advantage with that, which is that all soldiers basically have a field of fire and that none need to move to take up a firing position.

Partially. I would say that both Indian Sprint and Zipper withdrawal can be used for a controlled rereat/disengage from the enemy while under fire. There is though an other side to the two of them as I can see it, and that would be that they can be used for offensive movements and while closing in on an enemy while under fire. With Indian Sprint so will there always be X number of rifles towards the enemy while two men is running for new positions. While also advancing in that form and coming under fire, it will be very easy for the team to take up a line-formation [with the rear of both columns swinging like doors]. There is also an advantage that Indian Sprint have over the Zipper, and that is that the Indian Sprint can be used when advancing forward in more or less a double column formation, and to move side ways [in a sort of dual lines Zipper]. Disadvantage with that is that the fire teams at the back will have difficulties finding a clear shot.

As for the Zipper. That is a method that can be used while attacking as well and when trying to move around to a new position for the squad, i.e. engaging the target straight ahead from the beginning but later starting to move around the left or right flank of the enemy.

And two point to sum up with:
                1) I have to get this game.
                2) My girlfreind while knife me in the shower if I do that.
                sigpic
                The Royal Lifeguards

Comment

The only thing I can bring to the table is that perhaps a scout should have been first set out and reconed the other side of the bridge, and then have everyone else follow. If the scout gets put down, the enemy blows the ambush.

Granted I did not see any any enemy on the video. The enemy were clearly too far away to cause casualties.

What do you all think on haveing a scout go across and check things out?

Would take longer, but would be safer if the two squads had good cover on the side of the bridge they were coming from. Judeging from the ecosystem, there was not wardly any cover.

BTW. With regards to having a tactics forum.

Seeing how the game is a sim, we could just cut and paste real life tactics from another website, and give proper work citiations. That would be simple and effective.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement