Fanatik's "Racers and Hunters" Mission

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fanatik's "Racers and Hunters" Mission

Fanatik has created a very fun TvT mission that involves the "Racers" (the OpFor team) trying to move from one point to another while the "Hunters" (the BlueFor team) try to prevent this from happening. The Racers can only move on foot or in ground vehicles, while the Hunters can move on foot, in ground vehicles, or in helicopters. Currently, Fanatik has the Racers' start point at Benoma (a small town northeast of Bagango on the North Island) and their finish point at the lighthouse south of Iguana (on the far southern tip of the South Island).

Fanatik's mission is currently running as a beta on our ArmA Coop server. Last night we played through several rounds as Fanatik made tweaks, and I thought it was a great time. This style of mission is much lighter fare than the typical Coop mission; it's meant to offer a fun, team-based, tactical alternative, and I think it succeeds. I know Fanatik has more tweaks in mind, and hopefully he'll have them ready soon. In the meantime, try out his beta mission (under "F" in the missions list on our Coop server) and give him some feedback!

Re: Fanatik's "Racers and Hunters" Mission

Yay - Go Fan!

We played this in its OFP variant and it's a blast on either side. It's great finding someone in a chopper and blowing the crap out of them as they desperately try to flee - equally it's great when that chopper turns up and hasn't realised your in a shilka lol
    Jex.

Comment

Very very Cool...

when someone said, a night or two ago, "do you want to go play Fanatik's racing game?"

I said "no thanks", thinking you were referring to a "car race mission" game, and left the server...

Little did I know... tried it just a few ago...very good, and a great idea... I first was alone and played a racer... FYI it takes 22 minutes to get from start to finish in a jeep on the main roads... I crashed and killed myself about 20 yards from the finish line, lol...

But playing alone gave to a fantastic view of the map/island... didn't realize how great and big it really is... also noticed quite a few number of locations for ambushes, and assualts...

Should be very interesting with a full server.
      Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

Originally posted by Magnum50 View Post
        ....gave to a fantastic view of the map/island... didn't realize how great and big it really is... also noticed quite a few number of locations for ambushes, and assualts...
        Yeah, as a Racer, I was taking alternative routes to avoid the patrolling choppers and explored several "new" areas (new to me, anyway) on both the North and South Islands.

Magnum, during one of the earlier rounds, I did exactly what you mentioned -- set up an ambush as a Hunter on the east side of Corazol. The choppers were reconnoitering further east, and it made for a nice team setup. So while this is a "lighter" type of mission, it still offers plenty of opportunities for tactical play. Fun stuff.

Fanatik mentioned that he might implement various times of day; I thought playing this at night would be intense.

Comment

Fanatik, a suggestion or two....

How hard would it be to set up several different start locations for the Racers (likely in the north/northeast/east areas of the North Island), and then have the mission randomly choose a single start location from that set at the beginning of each mission? This would mix things up a bit for both the Racers and the Hunters, helping to prevent either side from falling into predictable patterns.

Also, I wonder what adding an amphibious element would do. As in, add a Zodiac or two for the Racers on the coast up near Cabo Santa Lucia. This would give them the option of taking the long way around the islands in a boat(s), and it would force the Hunters to keep an eye on additional routes.

Comment

I appreciate all the helpful comments folks... I am working on it now as we speak... btw Strag, there are already boats in almost all of the coves along the coasts of the island already... I've actually been waiting to see if anyone would use them.. I am making notes of everything everyone is saying.. please be patient, I'm trying to accomodate everyone, but there are differing opinions already as to what is good (i.e. guided missles vs. no guided missles)... Some of the stuff I can figure out how to do, but some of it will take me time to figure out scripts to implement some of the features asked for. I think most will find that it gets better as the teams get bigger... it becomes really active ... and really adictive!! Also, I would be great if someone could come up with a teamspeak setup for channel switching and cross channel broadcasting... Comm plans are gonna be vital for this type of mission to be fun and successful, and it will also be vital for most modes of Arma in the future. This game is just gonna keep growing!!

Comment

Originally posted by Fanatik View Post
              ...btw Strag, there are already boats in almost all of the coves along the coasts of the island already... I've actually been waiting to see if anyone would use them..
              Cool! I should have looked before saying something. :)

Originally posted by Fanatik View Post
              Also, I would be great if someone could come up with a teamspeak setup for channel switching and cross channel broadcasting... Comm plans are gonna be vital for this type of mission to be fun and successful, and it will also be vital for most modes of Arma in the future.
              Will do. :icon14:

Looking forward to the next version, Fanatik!

Comment

Off to give this a go. Thanks for the effort Fanatik
                sigpic
                | |
                TG ArmA Pathfinder
                One pass haul ass - Greed kills

Comment

Fanatik's been great about the input/ideas to change things long since I would have told all of us to go #$%# ourselves. lol Thanks for the effort.

Bucc, its really best with about 7 or more trying it out alone might seem dull. Hope ya can meet up with us. Seems 8-11PM eastern time is a popular time for higher numbers at least from the last few nights. It is tuesday I should be able to log in hopefully there will be a good turn out.

Adv

Comment

Our Coop server has been updated with the latest version(s) of Fanatik's mission. Thanks, Fanatik!

Comment

Originally posted by Strag View Post
                      Fanatik, a suggestion or two....

How hard would it be to set up several different start locations for the Racers (likely in the north/northeast/east areas of the North Island), and then have the mission randomly choose a single start location from that set at the beginning of each mission? This would mix things up a bit for both the Racers and the Hunters, helping to prevent either side from falling into predictable patterns.
                      Well done on making a good mission Fanatik.

You know you have made a great mission when someone asks you for variations. That will be some good longivity if done so.

My idea was to have variations at the end of the regular coop missions for best replay.

But with the set-up of this mission, the best replay will come from variations in the beginning of the map. I never thought of that.
                      This game has so many options.

With regards to teamspeak. I suppose the producer of the mission would need to make up a teamspeak layout.
                      This way when a missions is going to be played by a group of people, the admin can change the teamspeak set-up for the coop channel.

I think it should be SOP for producers of missions to make a teamspeak set-up for best results.

I have worked on a teamplate for the CTI channel. It is under TG+CTI= 1 thread.
                      (PO3) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Member
                      (CPO) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Leader
                      (LCDR) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Commander

Squad Member pledge to their SL:
                      Squad Leader pledge to their team:
                      Commander pledge to their SL:

Comment

Thanks for the feedback all... it's really helpful to have so much input... As Strag mentioned, I've complete v3 with the following changes and additions:

1. The start point for the Hunters have been moved from the far north island to an island in the south that is midway between the large and small part of the island... it cuts travel time to the action by half and is much more central to everything.

2. There are now Civilians driving randomly around the islands... will add a bit of confusion to the hunters. Most civilian cars are different colors tho as opposed to the racers which are the white sedans, or the Machine Gun Jeeps...

3. I have replaced the slow boats with very fast (but unarmed) speed rafts for travel across the water. They are located on almost all shorelines, primarily near coves and bays... you won't have trouble finding them.

4. There are now more ammo and weapon crates scattered throughout the island... you will find them in virtually every town and city, usually near the center of town near intersections.

5. There are many more vehicles of different variety scattered around most of the roads on both islands so transportation should always be readily available.

6. There is also a night version of this same mission now available.

7. Other bug fixes and suble changes have also been implemented... it seems for every fix tho, two new problems pop up, so let me know.

Upcoming additions include multiple starts for the Racers, different variations on weapons loadout and availability, Ammo and weapon trucks additions for refueling and rearming and whatever else you guys come up with.... enjoy!!

Chek6.... Fanatik

Comment

Originally posted by Vitriol View Post
                          Bucc, its really best with about 7 or more trying it out alone might seem dull. Hope ya can meet up with us. Seems 8-11PM eastern time is a popular time for higher numbers at least from the last few nights. It is tuesday I should be able to log in hopefully there will be a good turn out.

Adv
                          Thanks for the heads up Vitriol. Trouble is, 2000 Eastern, is 0100 here in the UK. To late in the week for me I'm afraid, especially when duty the next day! But thanks for the invite. If I get some time off in the week, will join in. Cheers.
                          sigpic
                          | |
                          TG ArmA Pathfinder
                          One pass haul ass - Greed kills

Comment

I only have one comment. Release the game in the U.S to we can ALL race! I'm not up for all the patching right now.

If these races are anything like the kind of fun we all had with Fanatik's missions in OFP, it's going to be a blast with a bunch of us.

:)
                            sigpic
                            I run my $#@! new school style with old school roots...

Comment

Originally posted by Riyker View Post
                              I only have one comment. Release the game in the U.S to we can ALL race! I'm not up for all the patching right now.

If these races are anything like the kind of fun we all had with Fanatik's missions in OFP, it's going to be a blast with a bunch of us.

:)

All the patching? After install, there are two patches. Its completely painless..
                              TG Regular
                              TGU Staff
                              ShackTac FNG

TGU Rotary Wing Instructors
                              Evil Koala
                              LeftSkidLow

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement