Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Script] Phase Manager (Allows teams to organize in-game)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Script] Phase Manager (Allows teams to organize in-game)

This is a little script I developed for my set of missions I'm working on. It isn't fancy but based on the discussion here: http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-a...-missions.html, I thought I would go ahead and share with other TGers that might want to include in their missions.

The script requires 1 trigger, and 2 commands in the init.sqf, but is otherwise self-sufficient. I currently have it setup to initiate PHASE 1: as a "preparation" phase where players are ordered to stay in the base and get ready. The script checks players for the distance from their base and warns them if they are >130 meters and kills them when they go >200 meters until PHASE 1 expires and the teams are ordered to begin the assault. This script is really basic and should be easy to modify for those single assault missions out there, allowing defenders time to get setup.

Instructions are included in the comments at the top, but let me know if you have any questions.
    Attached Files

Re: [Script] Phase Manager (Allows teams to organize in-game)

Bear in mind that this is not a critique of the work you've put into it, but is instead based off of what I have observed in countless adversarial games in the past in OFP.

What you are trying to address with this script is something that should be taken care of by mission design. It is unnecessary to force players to remain in a restricted area for a period of time before a mission. Instead, the wiser idea is to simply spawn the players further from their objective.

There are also other ways to accomplish similar delays - ie giving their transport helo no fuel and having it "Fuel up" a minute or two into the mission. Ditto with vehicles.

In short, there are ways to accomplish the same thing (give defenders time to set up) without forcing an arbitrary movement restriction on players. Better to have the attacking team in the field and maneuvering to the objective than have them sitting closer to the objective but restricted to a small area for a period of time.

That's my $0.02, at least.

Comment

I understand your idea.. all my missions require distance to travel. What I am addressing specifically is the desire to "RUSH" off at the beginning of the map. In your examples, just placing someone farther from the action or requiring them to "fill-up" doesn't reduce the natural instinct to load in and start charging at the enemy. I should also note that this is for TvT missions as noted in the thread I referenced, NOT co-op as clearly there is no need to rush in most co-op missions.

What we are specifically attempting to introduce is a phase that allows the teams to get organized without the "rush" to get to objectives the fastest. In BF2 you will see all our games have a 120 second or more start time. While pubbies are grumbling TG squads are using that time to get setup for the ensuing match. In ArmA we need time to get players assembled in their squads, clarify objectives, establish kit designs and load-outs from the supply crates and get a game plan established. Some of this COULD be done in the server start screen or out-of-game, but rarely does and it is far more effective to do it in-game.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiner View Post
        ...just placing someone farther from the action or requiring them to "fill-up" doesn't reduce the natural instinct to load in and start charging at the enemy.
        But by placing the attackers' start location (or having them fuel a chopper, or whatever) far away from the objective, doesn't that make it impossible for them to rush in? Remember, if handled correctly, we're talking about travel times of ten or fifteen minutes across Sahrani, and that's after everyone has loaded/fueled up and mounted vehicles. In the game world, that's sufficient time to set up a hasty defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Strag View Post
          But by placing the attackers' start location (or having them fuel a chopper, or whatever) far away from the objective, doesn't that make it impossible for them to rush in? Remember, if handled correctly, we're talking about travel times of ten or fifteen minutes across Sahrani, and that's after everyone has loaded/fueled up and mounted vehicles. In the game world, that's sufficient time to set up a hasty defense.
          First, the goal of the "prep" phase isn't to slow the attacker down, it isn't to force them to fuel choppers, it is to allow teams that want to get organized, to do so. Similar to how in BF2 we have a pre-start countdown where squad leaders are issuing kit selections and deployment orders. This IMO is an improved version of that.

Well I should explain why I created this because I'm not doing a good enough job :(. My mission is TvT with a number of objectives for each side to complete to earn points towards the win. Both sides are equal distance from the objects. What I'm trying to create is "prep-time" in-game (as in actually loaded into the game). Both sides know the round/match won't start for x minutes because of a titleText telling them so. During this time they can kit-out, decide what squad is doing what, purchase their vehicles and any ai backup they desire, all without the fear that they need to be racing forwards to the battle.

We know it is a natural instinct in these kind of pvp matches that an enemy putting less thought into the organization and prep but that rushes forward the fastest, still usually wins. I'm trying to STOP that behaviour by allowing both sides the time to get organized, thus encouraging better teamplay behaviour.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X