learning to edit, Q.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• learning to edit, Q.

OK...never been into making my own missions, or using the game editor for any game...but learning with Armed Assault... I have a desire to make some tactical training missions in the future.

Well I started this first mission.. it's a tutorial lesson meant to teach some basic squad size assualt... (more for me just to learn right now.)

I broke the squad down into three teams:

Command:
    Squad Leader
    Sniper
    Spotter (rifleman)

Alpha team:
    Team leader
    Grenadier
    Gunner
    AT Spec (replacing the rifleman)

Bravo team:
    team leader
    Grenadier
    Gunner
    AT Spec (replacing the rifleman)

I made them there own sections so each team leader could control there team, and the SL can control the sniper team.

I placed a marker where i want the sniper team to go to and set up, the SL would order them there and to wait for the fire command.

The SL then could give the orders for A and B teams to move out, maybe in a bounding overwatch towards the objective... once both teams come towards the object, they move into a line (maybe from 2 angles), then engage on the SL command.

Two objectives were placed in the town, each obj is a enemy squad (so 2 enemy squads), a medic truck, fuel truck, and ammo truck...kinda like a enemy forward base.

Q.
    1. How could i give the spotter binos?

2. How would I make the game know when the objectives are complete?

3. Since this is meant as a MP squad level training, I don't need to put waypoints down do I, thats up to the team leaders and SL, right?

4. how do you make briefings and instructions for the training notes.

5. and what is the deferents between the 4 types of saves?

6. how do I make the enemy take positions in the town, not just stand in formation like the pic?

thx in advance, heres some screens for visual purposes:

the squad, divided into 3 teams:

sniper team mark:

The enemy:

saving:

thx
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Re: learning to edit, Q.

actually, what I would really want done, but I guess i need the basics first... is for the squad to load up on a blackhawk, be flown low to the rally point, fast rope in then move in for the assault, lol, but maybe later. ;)
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

Originally posted by Magnum50 View Post
      Two objectives were placed in the town, each obj is a enemy squad (so 2 enemy squads), a medic truck, fuel truck, and ammo truck...kinda like a enemy forward base.

In the spotter's Init (double-click on him to edit his properties, and you'll see a box called "Init:"), put this line:

this addweapon "Binocular";

Well, if you want the elimination of each entire squad to be an objective, one way to do it should (:)) be:

Name each group (put nameofgroup = group this; in each group leader's Init, where nameofgroup is a unique name for each group).

Add a trigger for each group, making sure each is large enough to cover any area where the enemy squads may go. Set each trigger to OPFOR and Not Present.

Using the Group tool on the right-hand menu bar, link one of the group leaders to one of the triggers, and the other group leader to the other trigger.

Now double click on each trigger and choose Every member in group instead of Vehicle.

For one trigger, put "1" objstatus "done"; squad1dead = 1; in the Activ. line. For the other trigger, put "2" objstatus "done"; squad2dead = 1; in the Activ. line.

Make another (third) trigger. Set its type to End#1. Set its Cond. line to squad1dead == 1 AND squad2dead == 1;. This will cause the trigger to fire when all members of enemy squad 1 and enemy squad 2 are dead, and it will display the contents of the section called End1 in the briefing.html file. In that section, you'd want to say something like, "Mission complete. Your team has eliminated both enemy squads."

This should do what you want, although I haven't actually tested it in game. If nothing else, it should be close and give you a good start.

3. Since this is meant as a MP squad level training, I don't need to put waypoints down do I, thats up to the team leaders and SL, right?
      Well, I found out it's a good idea to include waypoints unless you're absolutely sure the mission will always be played with a human Squad Leader (and Fireteam Leaders, in the case of your mission). So, if that's the case, then no, you wouldn't need to include any waypoints.

Check out this link.

User mission is what you save to if you just want to save and preview. Save to multiplayer mission (or whatever the exact wording is) is what you'd want for use on a multiplayer server.

6. how do I make the enemy take positions in the town, not just stand in formation like the pic?
      Well, you could use MOVE & CYCLE waypoints to set up a patrol, or (better yet), you could use Kronzky's Urban Patrol Script, which does wonders for patrolling units. Everything needed to set up the script is included in its ReadMe file. It's very easy to use.

Now, if you want answers from the REAL experts, I'd recommend posting these questions over at the ArmA Editing section of the BI Forums. Someone there will certainly have a better way of handling the objective/end mission triggers, so that you don't have to kill ALL members of each squad (unless you really want to).

Comment

Q.

thx
        Welcome to the hilariously infuriating, yet rewarding world of Mission editing!

1 - add this to the unit's INIT line (Double click on the unit, and make sure the editor isn't on easy mode) This addweapon "Binocular"

2 - By the objectives, I'm assuming you mean the town being cleared of OPFOR. So, create a trigger, make it be large as the town the OPFOR is defending.

Make the Activation OPFOR, and then click NOT PRESENT. And then, near the bottom of the trigger menu window thingy, next to On Act., put hint "The town has been cleared!"

This will activate the script when there are no opfor inside the town, they could have fled, or been killed. When it activates, text will appear on the top left corner of the screen saying "The town has been cleared!"

3- You don't need to put down the waypoints, but you should at least put something down, maybe markers, and learn to create a breifing.

4-Oh. Ooops. Check out this tutorial. It tought me how to make brieifings.

go to ofpec.com and search for a brieifing tutorial. I'd link you directly, but I can't post links until I have 15 posts. Also, get used to going to OFPEC. it's a very nice mission depot and scriptor sanctuary

5- The 4 different types of saves basically just compress them and put them in different directories. Saving it as an MP mission puts it in the MPmissions folder ( I think. Not sure where it goes in ArmA.) Saving it as a SP mission puts it the SPmissions folder. Save as user mission saves it in mydocuments/ArmAprofies/yourname/user/missions, and allows you to put a briefing, scripts, and other jazz in there. the last save, Export by email is outdated and useless.

6- Unfortunately, you're going to have to hand place them. You can experiment by giving them different waypoints, and they might take cover, but I'm not too sure.

Hope this helps.

Edit: D'oh. beaten.

Comment

Originally posted by kevb0 View Post
          Welcome to the hilariously infuriating, yet rewarding world of Mission editing!
          This sums it up the best. Well said, kevb0. :)

Comment

thx...still alot to learn...exspecially those scripts and stuff.
            Magnum |TG-18th|

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X