Movement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movement

Was just wondering about something. In ArmA you regularly have occasions where your situational awareness is limited. For instance when checking the map, acquiring gear, using scope/binocs or covering certain directions especially the rear. Because of this reduced awareness I sometimes get behind with the rest of the squad. Am I the only one sometimes having trouble keeping up and do I just need to learn to adapt better by checking with the rest of the squad more often or is this a communication thing?

Re: Movement

Just as a heads up, when checking the map your movement keys still work. Generally if I'm on foot I'm still running full speed while getting my bearings.

As to other situations, it's up to the fire team leader to set the pace. When I'm leading, I try to keep everyone together and moving at a speed that is dictated by the hostility of the environment.

Comment

Originally posted by BHack View Post
      Just as a heads up, when checking the map your movement keys still work. Generally if I'm on foot I'm still running full speed while getting my bearings.
      Yep, that's what I do as well (too bad the esc key doesn't work the same way). Sometimes takes a while though to pan and zoom to take a look at the (hostile/target) areas ahead, since I always like to have a good idea of where we're heading and what it looks like.

Originally posted by BHack View Post
      As to other situations, it's up to the fire team leader to set the pace. When I'm leading, I try to keep everyone together and moving at a speed that is dictated by the hostility of the environment.
      I see, so best thing for a squad member to do is also keep that hostility in mind and only do things that reduce your situational awareness when the level of hostility and squad pace allows for it.

Comment

GPS is great in these situations, I think all missions should have it.

Comment

JMO...and only an opinion...

1. Squad/team members don't check maps unless ordered...the fire team leader or squad leader calls a halt, everyone gets into a defense position, while the leader checks the map and directions... he should be doing this every 5 mins or so, before cresting a hill or moving into a unknown area, or crossing a danger area.

2. Formations... most of the movement formations have you heading in a direction, where you have been is cleared, so except for an occasional check to the rear, or if your assigned rear security in a stop, you shouldn't be losing sight of your team leader... remember, your team leader is always in your sight with all movement formations.

3. yes the fireteam leader sets the pace, but you only go as fast as the slowest member of the team. If the TL has you in the rear watching the rear for some reason then movement will naturally be slower due to real possibility of enemies in the area.
          Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

Ok, let me ask some question about your reply:

Originally posted by Magnum50 View Post
            1. Squad/team members don't check maps unless ordered...the fire team leader or squad leader calls a halt, everyone gets into a defense position, while the leader checks the map and directions... he should be doing this every 5 mins or so, before cresting a hill or moving into a unknown area, or crossing a danger area.
            I can understand your reasoning why squad/team members don't check map unless ordered, but do you agree it is a good idea to make sure that at least before entering hostile terrain everyone has a chance to make himself familiar with the terrain ahead (at a suitable time and place)?

1 Isn't it benificial to everyones combat effectivness if they have very good understanding of the area they are about to enter?

2 What if the squad/fireteam leader dies, if the other members have insufficient knowledge of the map, will it sometimes not take to long before the next inline will pick up where they left off? Hindering for instance a coordinated attack with a different squad/fireteam?

2. Formations... most of the movement formations have you heading in a direction, where you have been is cleared, so except for an occasional check to the rear, or if your assigned rear security in a stop, you shouldn't be losing sight of your team leader... remember, your team leader is always in your sight with all movement formations.
            Sounds logical enough, just think it is good to keep in mind that public players are very keen on hiding and flanking and even the AI is very agressive in it's flanking. I've occasionally been shot by AI from areas previously considered cleared.

About the stop thing, what I mostly do is check what directions are allready covered and preferrably cover direction logical to my position. If players don't automatically start covering different direction when stoping won't that overload the leader when he needs to assign that himself each time?

What sounds save to me is to occasionally check the rear and especially the side when moving. When stopping everyone automatically covers as much angles as possible unless ordered otherwise and since then some teammembers have no constant visual on their leader he should signal over comms when he wants to start moving again?

3. yes the fireteam leader sets the pace, but you only go as fast as the slowest member of the team. If the TL has you in the rear watching the rear for some reason then movement will naturally be slower due to real possibility of enemies in the area.
            Sounds logical as well.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X