Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ArmChair General PDF ArmA Tactics Article...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ArmChair General PDF ArmA Tactics Article...

The ArmChair General is not only an excellent tactics and strategy (real world, history, and game) monthly (or maybe every 2 months) print publication (magazine)... but they also have a very nice and informative web site... one of my favorite writers from there publication has released a 15 page pdf on using tactics in Armed Assault, a very worthy read...

and just FYI, he (and his co-writer) also has a number of other tactical articles over at ArmChair general.
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Re: ArmChair General PDF ArmA Tactics Article...

Good find Magnum. Looks like he took the commonn sence approach to tactics and gave a abridged version. I like it...
    "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

There is so much ridiculous and irrelevant "tactical fluff" in that article that I'm tempted to call him out on it in detail. He talks about taking prisoners, marking secured buildings with chalk, using hand and arm signals... what game is he playing?

It's a huge pet peeve of mine to see someone write a "tactical guide" that frequently references things that are not possible or feasible in a gaming environment. It's like this guy has no real clue of what multiplayer ArmA is like and is just writing a watered-down tactical guide based on real-world procedures that may or may not apply. Bleh. Color me unimpressed.

Comment

All the guy was trying to do is give a brief introduction to tactics and coorelate it to ArmA. At face value, it is not that bad and does exactly that. It is definitley not end all "book" on tactics similar to what you pumped out. If you want to compare it to the thousands of pages of manuals in the military on tactics, yes it falls way short.
        "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Come on D... you did a GREAT book on tactics and teamwork, don't ditch others for sharing there experiences, ideas, and points... your not feeling threatened are you? ;) lol

I get this guys points, thou he's probably not much of a gamer, he does give some good info... you can't be the only tactical writer on the internet you know. ;)
          Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

Originally posted by Magnum50 View Post
            Come on D... you did a GREAT book on tactics and teamwork, don't ditch others for sharing there experiences, ideas, and points... your not feeling threatened are you? ;) lol

I get this guys points, thou he's probably not much of a gamer, he does give some good info... you can't be the only tactical writer on the internet you know. ;)
            Like I said, pet peeve of mine. I have no issues with people writing tactical stuff as long as they keep it game-focused. Seeing talk of hand signals, prisoners, etc devalues the work in my eyes.

If you want to read a quality tactical article that is full of extremely good information, I'd recommend this instead:
            http://dslyecxi.com/files/close_comb...e_workbook.pdf

The big difference with that is that it's by a Marine, for Marines, discussing simulation, lessons learned from them, and how they correlate to real-world situations. It has loads of great info in it, too.

Comment

I was kidding with you you know. ;)
              Magnum |TG-18th|

Comment

Originally posted by Magnum50 View Post
                I was kidding with you you know. ;)
                Oh, I know. I didn't take it otherwise. :)

Comment

Quit yapping D and get yours in Hard Print... Geez... ;-)
                  |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
                  ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Originally posted by peardog View Post
                    Quit yapping D and get yours in Hard Print... Geez... ;-)
                    It's aaaalmost there. The guy who made it into a PDF received a hard proof recently, the final version should be available soonish.

Aaaaalmost there.

Comment

Nice! I don't want it unless it has pop-ups though.

Pop-Ups!!! C'mon you know you're tempted....open to page 69 and a jihadi jumps out from behind a building. LOL!
                      |TG| HOUDINI

Comment

Originally posted by houdini View Post
                        Nice! I don't want it unless it has pop-ups though.
                        Nice! ;-)
                        |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
                        ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Originally posted by Dslyecxi View Post
                          If you want to read a quality tactical article that is full of extremely good information, I'd recommend this instead:
                          http://dslyecxi.com/files/close_comb...e_workbook.pdf
                          That's awesome. Is that yours?
                          I'll agree that CC was one of the best games/series ever made, from a tactical perspective.
                          Do or do not, there is no try....
                          -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

Originally posted by gunjunkie View Post
                            That's awesome. Is that yours?
                            I'll agree that CC was one of the best games/series ever made, from a tactical perspective.
                            No, that's not mine. Someone brought it to my attention towards the (then) end of the TTP development, and it made me reconsider a few things and ultimately added about a month to the development. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Dslyecxi View Post
                              It's aaaalmost there. The guy who made it into a PDF received a hard proof recently, the final version should be available soonish.

Aaaaalmost there.
                              Sweet.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...