Coop 16 Patrol Asharah by Strag

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coop 16 Patrol Asharah by Strag

Yesterday I started toying with a mission that involves taking a couple of RHIBs out from the docks at Geraldo and patrolling the small island group to the southwest (Isla del Zorra, Isla de los Tojos, and Monte Asharah). Peardog, Yanu, and I did some initial testing, and based on that I think there's potential for a fun mission.

I'm still working on a plot/briefing, but right now I've got several enemy boats patrolling around the islands, as well as some enemy infantry on the islands themselves. Part of the mission may involve identifying/destroying any boats encountered, as well as possibly dropping friendly infantry off to clear the islands. (It's pretty fun to chase down an enemy boat as he speeds away from you, only to have him turn on you and open fire!)

So far the mission has a feel different from typical infantry action; it's interesting to be doing something on the water. I'm thinking each RHIB will have a four-man crew (leader, driver, and two gunners). To accomodate a longer mission duration, I've increased the ammo loadout for the M2 turret to 1500 rounds, and the Mk19 turret has 150 rounds. If I have four boats in the mission, that'll allow for up to 16 players. If I add some infantry for the island-clearing portion of the mission (to be transported and dropped off by the RHIBs), I figured I'd add four four-man fire teams, for a total of 32 player slots available. The infantry slots wouldn't be necessary to complete the mission, but they would make things easier and would also provide some variation to manning the RHIBs -- infantry could sweep the islands while the RHIBs sat out a ways and provided heavy firepower.

I should have another test version ready soon.

Re: Island Patrolling/Clearing Mission

Sounds great.

Comment

The only problem is the LACK of half-Bikini wearing AI who run about on the Topless beach after we start the Fragging... "Get to modding!!" ;-)
      |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
      ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Originally posted by Strag View Post
        Yesterday I started toying with a mission that involves taking a couple of RHIBs out from the docks at Geraldo and patrolling the small island group to the southwest (Isla del Zorra, Isla de los Tojos, and Monte Asharah). Peardog, Yanu, and I did some initial testing, and based on that I think there's potential for a fun mission.

I'm still working on a plot/briefing, but right now I've got several enemy boats patrolling around the islands, as well as some enemy infantry on the islands themselves. Part of the mission may involve identifying/destroying any boats encountered, as well as possibly dropping friendly infantry off to clear the islands. (It's pretty fun to chase down an enemy boat as he speeds away from you, only to have him turn on you and open fire!)

So far the mission has a feel different from typical infantry action; it's interesting to be doing something on the water. I'm thinking each RHIB will have a four-man crew (leader, driver, and two gunners). To accomodate a longer mission duration, I've increased the ammo loadout for the M2 turret to 1500 rounds, and the Mk19 turret has 150 rounds. If I have four boats in the mission, that'll allow for up to 16 players. If I add some infantry for the island-clearing portion of the mission (to be transported and dropped off by the RHIBs), I figured I'd add four four-man fire teams, for a total of 32 player slots available. The infantry slots wouldn't be necessary to complete the mission, but they would make things easier and would also provide some variation to manning the RHIBs -- infantry could sweep the islands while the RHIBs sat out a ways and provided heavy firepower.

I should have another test version ready soon.
        Soon is not soon enough I needs it now man I gotta have my fix. Anyways does sound very intresting and I wjould love to try it.

Comment

Re: Coop 16 Asharah Patrol by Strag

Okay, I've got a working mission ready for play. It's currently on the servers as TG-ST5: Patrol Asharah (Coop 16) t1. Right now I have it set up for 16 players, but I could easily expand this to 24 or 32 or more.
          Last edited by Strag; 06-09-2007, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Re: Coop 16 Patrol Asharah by Strag

For those who played it tonight, thanks for the feedback on this. I've made updates and put the new version on Server #1. Each of the two friendly RHIBs now has a GPS tracking script so the location of each can be seen on the map at any time.
            Last edited by Strag; 06-11-2007, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Are there options at the start to choose daytime for the mission?

The GPS script would help a lot, and I look forward to playing it again.

Comment

I don't think it can be done but wouldn't it be lovely to have Scripted Flares on maybe radio command or something when you get to the Island.. To light up the beaches at night.. Tracers and Flares!! Good stuff!!
                |TG|ARMA Pathfinder

Comment

Flares, good Idea. Maybe have the boats outfitted with a ton a flares and we could rearm and advance. That would be interesting. As long as much ground team gets put off before the shooting starts this time.
                  |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

I greatly appreciate the feedback on this mission. It's different from anything I've worked on so far, so I'll need all the help I can get to make it balanced and enjoyable.

Regarding having it in daylight, I've thought about it, but I'm not sure if it makes sense to have the bad guys smuggling arms in broad daylight. However, I suppose I COULD add a blurb in the briefing about there being a gap in satellite coverage from 1000 to 1130 hours or something like that -- this would give a reason to send the RHIBs out to patrol the area. Would you guys say there is a greater preference to play this in daylight rather than at night? (FYI, in the current working version of the mission, I've bumped the mission time back an hour or so to make the sky darker -- it seems to cause less trouble with the NVGs).

Regarding flares on the RHIBs (assuming the mission remains after dark), I can definitely add more to their cargo holds for use by the assault teams. I can also give each of the assault team riflemen an M203 so he can use the flares. I don't think, however, that I can add flares to the Mk19; there is no flare ammunition type that works with the Mk19, and I'm not sure how to accomplish it via script. If anyone could help with this, I'd be happy to add it.
                    Last edited by Strag; 06-11-2007, 10:19 AM.

Comment

I was thinking not just Manually fired ..but upon positioning..the Team leader sends a Radio command to (again..possible??) the Flare Crew in the Ether.. to light it up...so Magical Flares appear out of no where ... lighting the shore up for a few minutes or so..to clear a beach area etc... Again..Just a thought... If we could fire a rifle from a Boat then I would say just go with the Manual Flares (cause they are kinda fun!)
                      |TG|ARMA Pathfinder

Comment

I was just asking for the daylight option as a practice run-through type thing, or if you're doing it with a smaller number of people. It's not important at all.

I love the flares idea though! It would be great to have a limited supply so we aren't just shooting them willy-nilly.

Comment

If I can figure out a way to get RHIBs to fire flares, I'll definitely add it. If not, would it be sufficient to have the assault team riflemen equip flares from the RHIB cargo holds and fire them as needed?

Also, a question on mission size. Do you guys think two RHIBs and two assault teams is appropriate for this mission? (Personally, I think a third RHIB and a third assault team would be pushing it. Two of each seems to be about right.)

Comment

Originally posted by Strag View Post
                            If I can figure out a way to get RHIBs to fire flares, I'll definitely add it. If not, would it be sufficient to have the assault team riflemen equip flares from the RHIB cargo holds and fire them as needed?

Also, a question on mission size. Do you guys think two RHIBs and two assault teams is appropriate for this mission? (Personally, I think a third RHIB and a third assault team would be pushing it. Two of each seems to be about right.)
                            Dont know would help if we had a fully manned test of the mission. Not sure we really need 4 man teams for the boat crew.

Comment

Originally posted by johnflenaly View Post
                              Not sure we really need 4 man teams for the boat crew.
                              Some folks won't use all four boat slots, but others might. I'd like to give players the option to use all four slots (a driver, two gunners, and a boat chief) if desired. But, if a crew only wanted three people in the boat, they could disable the fourth AI position.

Now, if I were the chief of a boat in this mission, I'd want all four slots. I'd want to devote my full attention to directing the fire of my gunners and giving my driver directions on movement (navigating), all while keeping track of the tactical situation in the water and on the islands. When things get really busy in the mission, I think you need that dedicated boat chief to stay on top of everything. But, again, you don't have to use it (or any of the other boat positions) if you don't want to. Heck, by disabling all but one AI in a boat, you could have a one-man crew.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X