Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need in-game text editor

Gents,

I was just wondering if there is a mod out there which can provide some of the functions I need in game. I need an in-game text editor to browse, read and write text files from hard disk. Just like a compass or radio, a notepad on map screen maybe?

This would be a great help for someone like me who is taking notes while playing the game. SOPs, tactics, tips, fire team assignments and other things I need to manage my squad.

If not, would it be easy to create such a tool?

Re: Need in-game text editor

Im kind of surprised the game doesnt have something like this. Wonder how hard it would be to code something like this into the game. Gonna have to look into that.
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

The only tool capable of writing a file externally is a third-party "hook" program that must be running alongside the server instance. In testing this program (for saving scores outside evolution), I've found it very unreliable and a cause of server crashes.

Comment

Thanks Shiner... I wish there were a client-side mini-mod to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by John CANavar View Post
          Gents,

I was just wondering if there is a mod out there which can provide some of the functions I need in game. I need an in-game text editor to browse, read and write text files from hard disk. Just like a compass or radio, a notepad on map screen maybe?

This would be a great help for someone like me who is taking notes while playing the game. SOPs, tactics, tips, fire team assignments and other things I need to manage my squad.

If not, would it be easy to create such a tool?
          I'm confused by this request. You want to be able to write notes in a virtual textpad while in-game?

The first solution that comes to mind is having an actual real-world notepad sitting by your keyboard. What would be different, functionality wise, with what you're requesting? What would you be able to do with it that you couldn't do with a real notepad?

Comment

Originally posted by Dslyecxi View Post
            The first solution that comes to mind is having an actual real-world notepad sitting by your keyboard. What would be different, functionality wise, with what you're requesting? What would you be able to do with it that you couldn't do with a real notepad?
            I don't know about you, but I can type 20 times faster than I can write. Not only that, but I can actually read what I type, of which I can't say the same for what I write. I can definitely see the benefit of a tool like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Dslyecxi View Post
              I'm confused by this request. You want to be able to write notes in a virtual textpad while in-game?

Considering the amount of notes I take, it is extremely inefficient to use pen/paper. I have to transfer those notes into electronic format later on. I edit my notes all the time and working on computer is the only way to do it. So you may call it "personal preference".

Comment

Can you alt-tab out of game? Or run in windowed mode?

If so you should be able to either alt-tab to windows notepad or if in windowed mode you could just bring up notepad and it would overlay your map and you could look on the map while you type and use your mouse to reposition the notepad.

Comment

Originally posted by deathknight View Post
                  Can you alt-tab out of game? Or run in windowed mode?

If so you should be able to either alt-tab to windows notepad or if in windowed mode you could just bring up notepad and it would overlay your map and you could look on the map while you type and use your mouse to reposition the notepad.
                  Alt-tabbing too many times is risky (crash) and takes time on my slow comp with 1 GB mem :(

And windowed mode is a bit immersion-killer. Thanks for the suggestions though.

Comment

John, I has the same Idea when I play testing some of Shiners maps..and Had either ideas or Bug notes etc... It would be nice to just Jot them down on the fly... ALt-Tab works..but some report crashes soon after the ALt-Tab occurs or some type of Memory leak starts resulting in an impending Crash...

Good Idea... Unfortunately nothing that I know of... (Need like a "NOTEPAD OVERLAY" ..like ts overlay) ;-)
                    |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
                    ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

It is possible to have a text input field in a dialog.. this could be stored in a variable.. but I don't think there is anyway to extract the information as I don't think you could highlight and copy paste..

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X