Teapeak use

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teapeak use

This is a post I made in the MIP forums but I would like to get the ARMA groups opinion over all as well.

Due to some fault on our selves and with other members on the server this last week or so we've had almost no platoon level cooperation. "Channel Commander" I know some of you have don't really have experience with it and in tg over all its not used a lot. Due to ARMA it is needed. I'm going to suggest some SOP for "channel commander" use that I've used before when organizing large operation between "outfits" in the game "planetside" with proper use of these sop it is easy to coordinate groups of 100+ people.

********************TEAM SPEAK SOP*********************

1. I've mentioned this before Teamspeak overlay. Its helpful because if you have someone in a separate channel trying to talk to you over "channel commander: There name will appear red. Instead of the standard green that everyone in you current channel will have.

2. To avoid confusion NO ONE but the SL should have "channel Commander" on.

3. "BattleChat" is a term which basically tells everyone in the squad to IMMEDIATELY cut all comm chatter. This is helpful when the sl need to listen on "channel commander" or needs to cut through the squad chatter to issue orders.

4. We already have this just need to practice more. Designations for different fire teams.

5. Just a general order if not giving orders, comfirming receipt of orders or reporting RELEVANT information. You should be keeping silent.

6. This is a SOP that needs to be addressed to TG ARMA as a whole. To avoid confusion when talking over "channel commander" it is customary to say "COMMS" before continuing. This allows people to know you are talking to them and not in there squad.

Re: Teapeak use

http://www.teamspeakoverlay.com/ - For those who can't or won't Google!
    |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
    ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Originally posted by johnflenaly View Post
      6. This is a SOP that needs to be addressed to TG ARMA as a whole. To avoid confusion when talking over "channel commander" it is customary to say "COMMS" before continuing. This allows people to know you are talking to them and not in there squad.
      Just for Clarification on my Part .. If I am a Chan Commander..and I broadcast on COMMS, can my SQUAD also hear what I am Broadcasting to the Other Commanders or no?

Thanks
      |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
      ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

In my experience w/ Channel commander, No your squad wont hear what your broadcasting over channel commander.

Comment

Good suggestions, john -- thanks for these. A couple of tweaks that I'd suggest:

1. I've mentioned this before Teamspeak overlay. Its helpful because if you have someone in a separate channel trying to talk to you over "channel commander: There name will appear red. Instead of the standard green that everyone in you current channel will have.

I'd much rather see people on the Channel Commander channel use existing convention rather than "COMMS." When speaking over the Channel Commander channel, the initiator should always identify the intended recipient first and then himself, as in:

"Squad 2, Squad 1. We're moving up to support your right flank."

Or, this can be shortened to:

"Two, One. We're moving up to support your right flank."

This immediately lets the recipient know that the message is intended for him, and also who the sender is. By using the generic "COMMS," you're forcing everyone in the Channel Commander channel to pay attention to the communication until it becomes apparent (at some point during the communication) who the actual recipient is.

I think this is also pertinent given that not everyone has been able to run TeamSpeak Overlay concurrently with ArmA.

3. "BattleChat" is a term which basically tells everyone in the squad to IMMEDIATELY cut all comm chatter. This is helpful when the sl need to listen on "channel commander" or needs to cut through the squad chatter to issue orders.
          The existing convention is to use "BREAK," or, for extremely important messages, "BREAK BREAK BREAK." I'd prefer that we stick with that.

Comment

Problem: TSO doesn't work in ArmA on my machine. Can this be fixed?
            The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
            I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
            Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Originally posted by ednos View Post
              Problem: TSO doesn't work in ArmA on my machine. Can this be fixed?
              I've always meant to try this one out:

TSOnTop

http://www.goteamspeak.com/index.php...y&id=1&item=23

It might work for you.

Cheers!

Comment

TSO drops my framerates too much to use it.

Comment

Good stuff all gents. As game population expands (and it seems like it is rapidly expanding) Communication methods and sop's will be highly important.

I thought about two things after my Armed Assault session last night--what about a TS "staging" channel for players who are just coming into the game? Keeping track of personnel on the battlefield is hard enough as is and I wondered if a "staging" channel for those just coming in might help.

This got me thinking about the 1st MIP and the assorted ops we've been doing in the the EVO server over the last few days. (Is it true we are the only IHS playing ARMA ??) As a unit the 1st MIP has done mostly side missions with an occasional foray into capturing cities. A big reason for that is our desire to standardize SOP's for playing Arma as a unit. That means lots of trial and error when you see a bunch of the 1st off on a mission that's likely the primary reason. As I think more about it I see the Evolution server may not be a good venue to do this kind of thing regularly and perhaps we'll look at the other TG ARMA servers for our practices/drills. The caveat, of course, is that the 1st has only been playing as a unit for less than a week. I think that's important to remember. We are discussing issues like these on a team basis regularly in our own forum pages.

But--the crux of the matter is -- without a central command how are we to know who's doing what and how do we assimilate into the existing command or battle structure.

Gents--these are the questions we'll wrestle with for some time to come. Trial and error will likely be our constant companion for some time to come. Lets try to remember that we're all reading the same book but we may be on different pages.

There are many new faces coming to this title in addition to the 1st--to all of those Arma players whov'e been playing this title for months it must feel like a bunch of strangers taking over. But if we work together, as I think we already are, we'll have fun putting all the pieces together.
                  Last edited by Grunt 70; 06-26-2007, 02:49 PM.
                  sigpic
                  |TG-1st|Grunt
                  ARMA Admin (retired)
                  Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

As an answer to Grunt's question, I strongly believe that it is SL's responsibility to a) Become a Channel CO b) Attempt to contact and coordinate with other channel commanders c) If no response, attempt to contact other SLs using team chat, suggest them to become channel COs.

Just an example:

S1 SL: "Squad 1 to all units...Do you copy?"
                    S2 SL: "This is squad 2...read you 1"
                    S3 SL: "3 reads you 1"

S1 SL: "One is currently working on a mission and will be ready to coordinate for a city assault at time 0645"
                    Other SLs: "10-4 One. Next radio contact at time 0645"

And there you go. It is all about just letting others know a) who you are b) what you are doing and c) Your willingness to cooperate.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X