TG ArmA Platoon Commander Tactics Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TG ArmA Platoon Commander Tactics Discussion

As I stated in the Gameplay Style Conflict thread, I plan on jumping into the Platoon Commander role a lot more now that I have SL’d quite a bit and have a better overall feeling for the flow(s) of this game. I want to do this because I think it would be a good experience to help deepen my understanding of the dynamics of the game/mission and because it may help ensure that different styles of play can be used successfully if moderated/coordinated. But, in order to do the latter, but there needs to be a clear point of contact for this...ideally, that POC is the Platoon Commander.

As such, I wanted to discuss tactics for filling this position (I only briefly touch on strategy though). What follows below if what I plan on trying out if the circumstances merit. I would very much like your opinions. Does this sound plausible? Is this accommodating enough to different playing styles and preferences? Does this follow all TG SOP's, rules, and guidelines? This is not meant to be a SOP per se, but if enough input, discussion, and consensus is achieved it could help lead to developing one.

Overall, I see a primary and secondary role for the commander:

Primary Role: Planning and Commanding Combined Arms Operations to Complete Mission Objectives

Secondary Role: Orient and Assign Newly-Arrived Players

Here is how I envision fulfilling these roles based on my limited knowledge of military operations, ArmA game play, and TG SOP’s/Rules/Evo Server Guide.

A. Primary Role - Planning and Planning and Commanding Combined Arms Operations to Complete Mission Objectives

The Evolution Commander has two areas of focus in commanding combined arms operations: Overall objective planning and coordination of combined arms operations.

I. Overall Objective Planning

The Platoon Commander has the responsibility for determining which objectives should be met and what methods/assets are employed to meet the current objective. All planning should be done in consultation and coordination with the various element leaders (infantry, armor, and air). Specifics objectives should be set for each element group to achieve the overall objective.

1. Determining Objectives - Primary Objectives primarily include the attacking and clearing of the applicable towns and cities on the Island. Although no specific order is mandatory (the southern portion should be cleared in its entirety first though as to unlock the fixed wing aircraft) certain considerations must be made when establishing objectives: proximity of the objective to current BLUFOR locations, viable land and air routes, etc. Secondary city/town based objectives (radio tower, capture officer) should also be discussed. Side missions should also be considered and assigned as appropriate as well (It is disheartening to clear the 11/th town/city and come to find you still have 10 side missions to complete).

2. Squad and Element Assignments - After the primary objective has been selected, individual squad and element assignments should be made (again under consult with the appropriate leaders). Each type of element currently active should be given an assignment for each objective (whether it be to support the clearing of the town/city, the associated secondary objectives, or a combat support mission (reconnaissance, transport, engineering, medical & vehicle recovery). Different types of elements can be single or multi-purpose and every type of unit can accomplish almost any mission.

Example Scenario

Paraiso and Somato have just been cleared, there are currently two infantry squads, a two-tank section, four rotary wing pilots, and the commander (15-30 players). Commander invites all squad/element leaders and pilots into the command channel for objective planning. Cayo is selected for the next objective and the following plan is developed:

GROUND/INFANTRY/PRIMARY OBJ: One infantry squad will mount in a Stryker ICV and move out with the armor secton towards Cayo to a marked attack position and await orders to advance on the objective of attacking and clearing the center of Cayo. Infantry will call in CAS requests when high-priority target are identified.

GROUND/ARMOR: the two-tank armor section will move out towards Cayo with the Stryker ICV to a marked attack position and await orders to support the infantry assault and destroy enemy AA and other assets as necessary.

GROUND/INFANTY/SECONDARY OBJ: The other infantry squad will load up in a UH-60 to be inserted near Cayo with the objective of destroying the radio tower and capturing the officer. Infantry will call in CAS requests when high-priority target are identified.

AIR/RECON/INTERDICTION: Once ground units are in position a 2-crew AH-6 will fly towards Cayo, attempt to activate the OPFOR AI (while avoiding AA) and mark high priority targets and commence air-to-ground interdiction against enemy targets that are no closer that 400-500 meters to friendly forces

AIR/TRANSPORT: A single crew UH-60 will transport the other squad to their insertion point and return to base for transport of reinforcements as necessary.

AIR/CLOSE AIR SUPPORT: A single crew AH-6 will proceed to a holding area near Cayo and conduct recon while awaiting CAS requests in support of infantry operations in Cayo.

Map Diagram:

II. Commanding Combined Arms Operations

Not only should the Commander ensure that each active element has a current assignment, he/she must also ensure they all work together to accomplish the mission and that active forces are balanced. Whenever possible, Infantry, Armor, and air assets should work together to achieve an objective. The commander should be present near the current area of operations of the objective in order to see first hand that all units are working in concert. The commander may also find it useful to have dedicated A.I. units to drive, provide emergency medical care, and provide close-in security.

1. Ground Operations - Due to the nature of ArmA Evolution, when server population is supportive of it, ground operations should be the primary force for accomplishing primary objectives.

a. Infantry - The commander must ensure that infantry squads are fully equipped and capable of their given assignments. Frequent communications are required to further ensure that infantry squads stay on track with their objectives and are supporting and are supported by the other elements as required. The Commander should have a role in determining the size and loadout of a squad only as it affects achieving the objective and to maintain balance among all the current active elements. Support for full squad size, loadout, and organization should be considered whenever possible (Current U.S. Army squad size is 9 soldiers: 1 SL and two fireteams of 4 (not including ICV carrier teams where applicable)) however multiple understrength squads may often be better suited for a specific objective than one full-size squad (1 squad of 9 or 2 squads of 4/5). Each infantry squad communicate amongst themselves in a dedicated TS channel and should have one representaive (either the SL or a RATELO (Radio operator)) in Channel Commander

b Armor - The Commander must also lead armored elements as he does infantry units (differences noted as applicable). An ideal Armor element would be a two tank section (at least 2 (ideally 3) crewmen per tank. Since most of the primary objectives in Evolution are operations in/near urban terrain, most armor assignments will be to support the infantry assault by protecting a flank(s), eliminating armored or soft OPFOR vehicle targets, etc. Each armor section should communicate amongst themselves in the dedicated armor TS channel and should have one representative in channel commander.

2. Air Operations - Due to the unique capabilities of Air assets in Evolution they can serve as the primary force in accomplishing primary objectives but most likely will be used for supporting ground operations. The section below breaks out possible roles for air assets

a. Transport & Combat Support - Transporting infantry, vehicles, and gear

b. Close Air Support - Engaging targets identified by advancing infantry in order for infantry to carry-out their mission.

c. Air-to-Air - Engaging enemy rotary and fixed-wing aircraft threats

d. Air-to Ground (Interdiction) - Engaging high priority ground targets not in proximity to or inhibiting infantry. Specific engagement areas should be identified to avoid conflicts with infantry objectives (give grid coordinates).

***The above guidance should determine that the mission is accomplished and different styles of play, roles, and player preferences are accounted for.***

B. Secondary Role: Orient and Assign Newly-Arrived Players

In order to make sure the team is balanced (squad are sized evenly or as appropriate to the mission, ground/armor/air are in proper proportions, etc.) that unsanctioned actions are minimized, and new players can sooner get into the fight, the commander should be responsible for orienting and assigning new players. Some assistance might be needed from other non-front line personnel, but overall should be manageable by the commander. Orientation and assignment duties may need to be delayed if pertinent and timely combat leadership duties require commander involvement.

I. Initial Contact and Orientation

1. When a new player connecting message is seen on the screen, the Commander should be prepared to reach out to that player once connected to make contact, brief them on current operations, and inquire as to their desired assignment (infantry, armor, or air). This can be done with in-game chat, TS, or most likely both:

Example:

Server Message:
    NewPlayer connected...

In-Game Chat:

BLUFOR |1stMIP| Loyal: NewPlayer, please wait.....
    BLUFOR |1stMIP| Loyal: Newplayer, I am the current Platoon Commander, switch to "Command Element" Channel in TS (Alt+Num7) for orientation and assignment
    BLUFOR NewPlayer: Roger
    Commander then briefs NewPlayer in the Command Element Channel and works on an assignment.
    2. If a squad or element received a new player in their Squad or TS channel without notification from the Commander or his designee, the leader should refer the new player to the Commander for assignment. All due consideration should be given for the SL's preferences when considering assignments to include players of the same in-house squad being assigned together and other SL and newly-arrived player preferences whenever possible.

II. Assignment

After contact is made with a new player the commander should seek an assignment for him by evaluating team balance and contacting the appropriate squad or element. The SL should then pass to the Commander required weapons and other gear to the commander to pass to the player or agree to handle internally with the player.

III. Orientation and Link-Up

After the new player has an assignment,the Commander should pass the relevant SL instructions to him, give him a new TS channel to communicate with the SL, and arrange for transport to the rest of his new squad/element and required.

As I stated above, I would like your opinions on the ideas of above and I hope to see you from AND you in the CO's chair soon!
    Last edited by loyalguard; 07-13-2007, 04:05 PM.
    LoyalGuard

Re: TG ArmA Platoon Commander Tactics Discussion

Nice post. Something I have found sitting in that chair for a session or two, is there is so much logistics involved in a campaign style mission like Evolution. With the numbers we now have this job is more than a BF2 style go here, go there assignment. Great work Loyal.

Something I find useful in the command element is a repair/resupply convoy. This can be assigned to a PL assistant with an A.I. squad. Works well responding to downed vehicles from the armor group or mechanized infantry. Also provides a point to set down FARP's as Rally's with full support after an engagement. This worked well in the last session I PL'd on the Evo server.
    |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Originally posted by tHa_KhAn View Post

Something I find useful in the command element is a repair/resupply convoy. This can be assigned to a PL assistant with an A.I. squad. Works well responding to downed vehicles from the armor group or mechanized infantry. Also provides a point to set down FARP's as Rally's with full support after an engagement. This worked well in the last session I PL'd on the Evo server
      thank Khan...that's a good idea with the convoy.

I'd say I used about 85% of what I wrote about above on Friday night. My two biggest failings were pre-planning objectives and squaring away assignments. I left Sam Hoy hanging for quite some time due to commo probs (he couldn't read my text chat for some reason) and I was tied up with other things...sorry Sam! I'll have to figure out how to better accomplish those areas.

One neat trick I used near the end of my session was using the map to take notes. I did this is the "group chat" channel so as not to fill up the global map, but there are applilcations for that to. Basically, to better track who what doing what more dynamically (I was using a pen and paper but it's easy to lose track) I would type on the map who was doing what. Here's a mock-up (not from actual in-game) sample:

When someone new came in, or left, or changed status, I would write it in the map. Very helpful to keep track. I suppose the global channel could be used as well depending on where you placed the text so everyone could see who was doing what.
      LoyalGuard

Comment

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to loyalguard again.

the notes thing is brilliant!

Comment

One neat trick I used near the end of my session was using the map to take notes. I did this is the "group chat" channel so as not to fill up the global map....
          ..Loyalguard/QUOTE]

Why oh Why didn't I think of this...This is like the Post it Notes or something simple that others get rich off of!! Geez... GREAT TIP>>!!!!:icon41:
          \
          And you said nothing good ever came out of Iceland.. ;-)
          |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
          ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

actually... can you enter things in the "notes" page of the map-notepad?

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
              actually... can you enter things in the "notes" page of the map-notepad?
              John C was inquiring the very same thing a couple of weeks ago (or he was at least seeking some kind of custom mod to take notes). I haven't messed around with any type of ArmA editing yet, but I have three weeks of vacation coming and was going to look into this. Thanks for the reminder!
              LoyalGuard

Comment

Great read Loyal. I read it twice to make sure I didn't miss anything.

I like the way you say (without saying it), that leadership has to lead. The CO has to assign people and get them down stream and tell them which channel etc. Then the next level of leadership is expected to pick up the ball. I couldn't agree more.

The notes thing is brilliant in its simplicity.

Did you have any issues with people deciding to remove your notes? I notice all the time that markers were being removed from maps by people who had no business "cleaning the map". Of course, yours are all over the ocean. So people are less likely to try and remove them.......

Great Write up. I look forward to playing in a large scale EVO run with you at the helm.
                Sleepdoc

My typos are legendary. I choose not to correct them as a form of unique signature

(and because forum spell checkers are a hassle) : )

I actually spell just fine. But my typing skills are the pits.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepdoc View Post

Did you have any issues with people deciding to remove your notes? I notice all the time that markers were being removed from maps by people who had no business "cleaning the map". Of course, yours are all over the ocean. So people are less likely to try and remove them........
                  Thanks Sleep! I didn't have any problems with erasing because as I was experimenting with it, I only placed the markers while in "group channel". Since I was the only one in my squad, only I could see them. I see a place for CO notes in both Group and Global/side channels, but I wanted to start off slow.

Erasing other people's markers can be a problem. I admit I have done it though. If someone marked a T72 and I know for a fact that it is since been destroyed yet the marker is still there 20 mins later, I will erase it. Otherwise I think the CO/leadership should just broadcast an occasional "marker cleanup", review your markers and delete any that are OBE.
                  LoyalGuard

Comment

Excellent topic & thread Loyal

Us grunts need A good leadership structure so that we can move on up it too.

I have always felt that the LEADERS would set the game style by their tactics deployed and the numbers engaging will show its popularity.

At this time I can only offer support and a prefernce for the style etc posted here.
                    Later I hope to input more and as my confidence and familarity grows also lead more following these procedures.

Barnaby out
                    "I like a man who grins when he fights"
                    Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse