armor vs m16?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• armor vs m16?

I started playing around with editor the other day and noticed you can kill some armor with small arms fire if you aim for certain weak points on certain vehicles. I wouldn't recommend you using as a offensive tactic but more of a "no other choice " option. I will add more weapons/vehicles/weak points later.

If you have a link to all of the weak points in arma's vehicles or if someone has already done this that would help greatly.

Here is a very rough estimate of how bullets it takes before the crew bails on certain areas of the vehicle and with different weapons. All of these shot are perfect aim so it will probably take you many more bullets to take one down.

BMP2
    First the BMP2 pretty tough vehicle but has a major weakness in its front vent but if your not at the right angle go for the treads.

Front vent
    m16.......m240.......m249
    45.........40-50.....70-100

Treads
    m16........m240......m249...m107
    45-60.....20-30........40........*

BRDM2/ATGM
    Very easy vehicle to get the crew to bail with even with an m16 just aim for a tire and unload.

tires
    m16.....m240.m249 m107
    20.........10......25....7-9

rear armor
    m16....m240..m249...m107
    60-70....*........*.......*

Shilka
    Evil is the best to describe this vehicle and only been able to find one weakness in its treads. though the treads seem to be very weak.

treads
    ..m16.....m240..m249...m107
    15-30....20......40.......6-7

T-72
    very tough vehicle! its weaknesses are still very strong you're pretty much better off hiding or running away.

back tanks
    m16............................................... ....m240.......m107.........m249
    takes more bullets than you can carry.....100-150......45....... ineffective?

Treads
    ?

Treads
    When shooting treads if your hitting them from side it may take you a LOT more bullets to damage them than hitting them head on. So try to get your self in front or the rear before unloading on a tread.

*ps. would be very nice if someone would unlock posting urls for me i would post pictures of the weak spots :) im not a spammer ok!

Re: armor vs m16?

interesting....good to know if you only have a few mags of rifle ammo and no other possible option, but chances are once you start shooting it, it will take you down.
    |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

It's insane that it takes so little small-arms fire to get the enemy to bail. I would imagine the only thing that could make crews bail an armored vehicle would be fire or a breach of the armor by a kinetic round, if you still have your arms attached afterwards to open the hatch. Silly commies.

Back on track, this is really good info to have, Thanks.
      Life in Bogota is a lot like a big box of Colombian chocolates. You never know when you'll get blown up by the FARC.

Comment

I'll try the head on for the tyred vehicles but I have no probs when aiming side on with getting them to bail though.
        As for vent shots you do need to be square on with the front ot be effective but as KaHn says once you annoy them they will seek you out.

Also a known weakness on the T72 [RW] is the rear fuel area but they seem to be very strongly armoured now, they could be immobilised by wrecking the fuel store on the back.
        "I like a man who grins when he fights"
        Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Shafik or Khan, don't remember who, took out a BRDM with a M249 or M240 yesterday in the outskirts of Paraiso. He started shooting, the crew bailed, and shortly after it exploded! I was a bit impressed, and a bit disappointed too... I am no expert in military vehicles or weapons, but I don't think a gun this size would make a BRDM explode as easily as it did...

And for reading this, I see it's much more complex than I imagined, hehe... Why the heck would you get out of a BMP and fight on the ground if the bullets on it are pretty much scratching it? Eek!!!
          |TG-69th|Kevlar

"Oh I know I don't think I see what I see what I'm thinking."

Comment

It was an M240. I don't think it would cause it to explode IRL, but it would surely turn anyone inside into swiss cheese.

Comment

it only takes 20 bullets on the rear armor for the BRDM to explode from the M240. Becoming one of my favorite guns :D

Comment

Sick! hehehe
                |TG-69th|Kevlar

Comment

Two bullets to the top or rear rotor from an M107 will take down a AH1

Comment

Well, that makes sense, since M107s are meant to take out less armoured targets such as jeeps, choppers, jets and other not-so-armoured stuff. I believe it can take out the engine of a BRDM too.
                    |TG-69th|Kevlar

Comment

Ok now that i can post pictures here is what i have learned so far.
                      BMP2

BRDM

SHILKA

T72

When attacking tracks from the side and for the outer edges of the tracks as shown here.

btw my graphics don't look anywhere near this good i just turned up the settings for demonstration purposes :P also will add more later.

Comment

Great work YG :)
                        Jex.

Comment

Kool! Thanks for the info on where to hit the treads! Damnit Ive been shooting so confidently at the direct sides... and I always was baffled why I could never get a disable... Front treads beware!! ;)
                          Dizlor

Comment

Wow thanks for the pics! Definately gives better detail on where specifically to aim. Now how you get a chance to shoot armor with a gun more then 40 times without getting killed is the real mystery, but it does open the door to have a squad without at engage and disable/destroy an armored target.

That M107 needs to be standard issue as well.

Comment

I was fooling around in the editor and managed to sneak up on a shilka and disable the tracks. The problem was having no ammo loaded when the crew got out of the shilka...

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X