No announcement yet.

Looking for NEW TG Branded Missions...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for NEW TG Branded Missions...

Hey Folks.. In Talking With Magnum tonight we came to the conclusion that we have a ton of missions that take alot of people, alot of time on the COOP server.. but very few, smaller single squad (Like < 15 players), quickies (like 1 hour or less to complete). Some quick hot action... (This is not a SPAM Email AD)..

So if you are up to it... Small, Simple Firefights, non buggy simple objectives...seem to work the best... (oh..and no Add ons yet..)

Play test it for awhile and when you think it's ready to go.. drop it off at: [email protected] .. and we will get her online for the TG'ers to beat on!..

Thanks!

peardog
    :row__593:
    |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
    ..now where did I put my keys?

Re: Looking for NEW TG Branded Missions...

Yes... I was thinking about this, who am I? Really no one, just another member, but I use to be heavy into some of what is considered the classics now, Ghost Recon, Americas Army, SWAT, Raven Shield, and of course the excellent Operation Flashpoint, here at Tactical Gamer...

But I stopped playing much here because IMO, the games got too complicated, too detailed, and too time consuming... Sure I want the best of Tactics and Teamwork... but I, like many others have limited play time and just want to game... usually a few hours a night, a few nights a week...

I'm not a big fan of EVO, so don't play that, but looked at the missions on the cooperative server... alot of missions there, and I'm sure many are good... but the majority seemed to be for big hugh armies (many players), and only a few sets, like the TG set, had a set or controlled structure...

now no one here needs to listen to me or take my advice, and this is all only my opinion... but if we want our TG cooperative server to succeed and blossom, we need a goal and standard...

1. I believe cooperative missions should be squad size plus, and be objective base with a insertion and an extraction, along with a mission goal. The mission shouldn't be easy, but not over difficult, who enjoys losing every mission. And each mission should be between 30 minutes to an hour to play.

2. Now there is too ways to set up a mission squad... you can have a squad leader in command of the complete squad... but then I've learned that if you break the squad down into fireteams it forces better teamwork. The squad leader has a medic or two assigned to him in one group, then you have a 4 man fireteam, usually 3, called Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, and Delta if you want to make a forth. Then you have a 2 man sniper team, called Sierra 1 and Sierra 2.
    That way the squad leader and the fire team leaders communicate via a teamspeak channel... fire team leaders control there fireteam members using the in game menu order system (F keys and numbers for the commands).

3. The mission is set to allow the squad leader to order fireteams to locations and objectives, while the fire team leaders make the final on scene decision and when to fire and when to hold. (meaning the SL may mark a location on the map and say Alpha team move to WP1... The FTL moves his team to the area of assignment, but when he arrives, he sees a better location, with more cover and concealment... so the SL gives the general order, while the FTL is over all responsible for his fireteam.) This seems to instill better teamwork and better control.

OK... below is a few mission packs that we have made for our server that seem to work well, feel free to use them as is, or edit as wanted... but they will show you the different set ups. (http://www.weppsarmamissions.net/)

Both mission packs below have the exact same missions, but each have different squad plus set ups...

A. The Wepps missions have 1 squad leader controlling everyone in the squad, everyone falls under the one command... there good for playing with only a few players and/or as single player missions with the squad leader controlling the AI teammates.
    http://www.weppsarmamissions.net/Wepps_ArmA_Pack.zip

B. The SimHQ missions have the squad broken up into fireteams. There is a SL with 2 medics, and Alpha, Bravo, and Charlie fireteams (and so on for the bigger missions), there is also a sniper team... any and all can be disabled or turned off, so as squad leader you can say, no sniper team this time for example.
    These missions are best played with the SL and fireteam leaders filled first with humans, then the rest can be off, AI, or humans...
    Remember, the success of these missions rely on the SL giving fireteams general orders, and the fireteam leaders controlling there own teams.
    (Only SL and FTL talk via TS, FTL order and control the fireteams via the in game menu commands.)
    http://www.weppsarmamissions.net/SimHQ_ArmA_Pack.zip

OK, with permission, I've copy/pasted the template used to make these type of missions if interested in exploring and learning...

copy/paste:
    Okay guys, here is the SimHQ Mission Template. There really isn't that much to it.

Fire Teams

The mission template includes four fire teams, Alpha through Delta. Each fire team contains four soldiers. A Team Leader, a Grenadier, a Rifleman and an Automatic Rifleman.

Echo Team consists of three snipers and one spotter. The three snipers are outfitted with either the M24, the M107 or the SPR. The spotter is equipped with a silenced M4A1.

Foxtrot is the command element and consists of the Squad Leader, and two Medical Corps Combat Life Savers.

That is the standard makeup of the SimHQ Squad. However, if you are making a mission that requires only two fire teams, simply delete the units from the map. (remember to remove their loadout code from the init.sqf file if you remove them from the mission, the loadout code is clearly delimited and easy to find)

SimHQ missions that involve infantry should always use the fire team configuration above, unless special circumstances for your mission apply.

init.sqf
    The fire team's loadout is handled in the init.sqf file, so that the teams are outfitted and ready to go once the mission starts. These are considered the standard loadout for the SimHQ ArmA Server. If you have a good reason to change them, go ahead and do it. Just include the reasons when you send in your mission.

The init.sqf file also contains code that has to do with Kegetys' Spectator Script. Do NOT edit or change this part of the script.

description.ext
    The description file for SimHQ missions uses Group Respawn. Please keep this setting. In addition, you can name your mission (this name appears at the mission load) by changing the onloadmission value to the name of your mission. There are also a few lines of code at the bottom of this file that have to do the with the Spectator Script, to please don't edit or delete them.

Vehicles
    I have included a trigger on the map that handles the outfitting of certain vehicles in the game.You can find the outfit.sqf file in the scripts directory. If for some reason you don't want to use the script, just delete the trigger and then delete the file. Its not necessary, but it does help to have the vehicles outfitted with some extra ammunition and weapons.

A couple of examples:
    The HMMWV has 1 M136 with 1 M136 round, 12 extra M4/M16 Magazines, 4 extra ammo boxes for the SAW, 2 Satchel Charges, four M203 rounds, four magazines for both the M24 and the M107.

The TOW Hummer has the M4/M16 ammo, the ammo boxes for the SAW, and a Stringer system (with one round).

Both the Mk19 and M2 Stryker have 1 Javelin and 4 rounds.

If you wish to edit the file to add a different kind of ammo, you will need to edit the switch do code found in the outfit.sqf script file.

Briefing

I've used ShackTactical's standard briefing for SimHQ's briefing template. Its really good and seems to cover all the information that a squad leader needs to know. If parts of the briefing aren't needed for your mission, simply delete them. However, a briefing is required for any SIMHQ mission.

Mission Intel
    In closing, make sure that you name your mission in the Intel area of the mission editor.Give the mission a name and then suffix it with the number of players and type. Example (SimHQ Assault01 (Coop 22) ) Also, include a short description of the mission too. It can be as simple as, Assault an Enemy Town.

Using the Template
    When you save the mission under a new name, it creates a new folder in the missions directory,but doesn't copy any of the old file structure over to the new folder. You'll need to copy everything except the mission.sqm file over.

Its easier to just rename the SimHQ_Mission_Template folder to what you want your mission name to be.

You can find a standard multiplayer map naming convention here: http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bi...ST;f=2;t=26694

Download Template: http://www.weppsarmamissions.net/SIM...n_Template.zip
    Check them out for some ideas on what I mean, and see what we can come up with for our TG server.
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

It would be very easy to make 1 objective missions lasting 30 minutes to 1 hour.
      The problem is making them challenging and interesting. If you have been around OFP and Arma you get the feeling you have seen and done everything and new ideas are hard to come by.

If members could contribute ideas and scenarios they would like to play, that would help making new content.

BTW the original version of Evo was made in order to allow small teams to do short 1 objective missions, but that is a different issue.

Comment

Hey guys. i am currently working on a BlackHawkDown type mission. It's not small, but once i get it up and running effectivly, I will get a couple testers to try it out. After that I will try and make smaller squad based Missions.

A couple ideas:

These are not complete but to ake it interesting. Dont infil/exfil the same way. Mix it up, why not move in on HMMV's and exfil by three LB's or one BH.

Add patrolling helicopters to make it interesting. Make them enemy, and make them smart. one or two should be good. This increases you're awareness.

Find scripts that enable you to place patrols around the city and op4 IN houses at random. There are a couple of these on Armaholic. This makes thigs interesting, not only are teh streets crawling, so are teh houses.

Make a mission where there has been a squad that was split up by their platoon, and must fight their way out of a city crawling with insurgents, again using Patrol and house scripts. U may see a patrol up the street, so u run into a house to find a squad lighting you up. Just adds to realism.

All these ideas can be used together and multiple times. I highly doubt two people will come up with the same mission.

I will work on these after my BHD:).

Comment

Great stuff Magnum..Thanks for the info...
          I would like to see a small..get in.. take out a convoy type mission and then get out.. Maybe Spec forces.. Only throw in a trigger or two..maybe a timer that if you haven't made Extraction a Helo drop of Opfor comes into your location..something with a twist.. or a REASON to get out and adhere to the planned mission.. Just a thought.. (I was thinking of this in the morning BEFORE Coffee!)
          |TG|ARMA Pathfinder

Comment

Originally posted by Dec View Post
            ..BTW the original version of Evo was made in order to allow small teams to do short 1 objective missions, but that is a different issue.
            Yep..and they are now very overlooked.. I used to like the Convoy intercept missions.. having no idea which way the convoy would go...and setting up the Satches and Mines... Pretty cool stuff..
            |TG|ARMA Pathfinder

Comment

Originally posted by Dec View Post
              The problem is making them challenging and interesting. If you have been around OFP and Arma you get the feeling you have seen and done everything and new ideas are hard to come by.

If members could contribute ideas and scenarios they would like to play, that would help making new content.
              *cough cough*AD*cough*DO*cough cough wheeze*NS. Let's face it, sooner or later Vanilla ArmA is going to grow dull, and we have to cross the bridge sooner or later.

As for mission ideas? POW Rescue, CSAR mission, TvT One Team On This Side One Team On The Other Now Capture The Town, Sabotage Mission, Assassination Mission, Paradrop Cleansweep. I'm not much of a mission maker myself, but I have some ideas upstairs inside that thing called a "brain" or did I loose that some time ago. I require my morning Joe, leave me! :)

Comment

Yes...missions get old when there played over and over... how we tackled that thou is with a number of scripts... you'll notice in my mission pack samples the patrols around the objective are random, you'll also notice that the vehicles available to you at the mission start are random and so are the enemy vehicles at the main objective...

Sometimes you'll start with just hummers, maybe the next time a couple of strykers, and again maybe a 5 ton, then again with a mix and match...

Sometimes at the objective you will see 2 BDRM's on patrol, sometimes just Rovers, other times it could be a BMP, or two, or a mix and match... you never know...so the same mission is really never the exact same...

and then we also switch squad leaders, that mixes it up also, the SL may say "were going in on foot", or may assign fireteams to hummers, strykers, or trucks, or mix it up... the SL may say, OK were coming in from the NW, or from the E, or split up the squad to hit both sides...

what I'm saying is war missions really are pretty much the same, over and over, just different locations, different weapons for and against, and different objectives, and the element of the unknown...

If you use random patrols and vehicles, along with switching up squad leaders, and letting THEM run the mission there way (win or lose, right or wrong) it adds variety.

OH, and don't mention EVO in this thread again please. lol JK ;)
                Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

Great we have some ideas now.

Give 1 of your ideas some meat and bones NoDebate and I will make it.

About addons. I don't think any server is using addons because there really aren't any out there, mainly just reskins.
                  When (if) the tools are available I am sure there will be many nice toys to play with. I just hope there is a community left to use them.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X