How about a lesson for us beginners?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How about a lesson for us beginners?

I'm wondering if there would be any benefit in getting on TS and actually going through a few things. I'd like to get into ME, I have inserted a few objects but that's about all I know. I don't even know how to UNpbo a file or how I use scripts.

I learn a lot better when I can ask questions but of course this means somebody taking the time out to do this.
    Jex.

Re: How about a lesson for us beginners?

We can go over some editing later if you want. I'm sure Leezor knows quite a bit too. I figured out a bunch of stuff last night from OFPEC Uber Editing Tutorial. It took a while to figure out triggers and finding scripting commands that do what I want.

This is also pretty handy. http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/C..._Commands_ArmA

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Yeah, the best thing to do is find a smallish mod or mission that you like. Un-pbo it and start going through the text files.

sqf are function files while the sqs are actual scripting. I find the syntax absolutely atrocious, but it's workable after you go cross-eyed :)

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by JAMerica View Post
        Yeah, the best thing to do is find a smallish mod or mission that you like. Un-pbo it and start going through the text files.

sqf are function files while the sqs are actual scripting. I find the syntax absolutely atrocious, but it's workable after you go cross-eyed :)

Cheers
        Oh yeah, the syntax is definitely odd. I'm completely mixed up in which commands have arguments before it or after it or both. The createVehicle command acts like an operator with var = "vehicle_type" createVehicle position?!

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Im interested in missioin creation too. I heard a lot from many sources about how one of the best things about OFP ( and subsequently ArmA) was mission editor and how easy it was to use.

Maybe it's just me but it don't sound easy. Granted I've put very little time into it but the times I've opened it I haven't found it too intuitive...Now...I've got zero experience with mods and mission creation so maybe that's why...

Anyway...I'd be happy to join up in a session like this and would suggest a group TS exercise creating a simple mission together...

IE...step 1. Insert troops here (what kind, what vehicles, what weapons)
          step 2. Insert enemy here (etc ad hominem)
          step 3. create objective for completion
          step 4. create extraction point and mission end.

Something easy and simple that would get us noobs pointed in the right direction....

Frankly, with so many talented mission scripters within the TG community ( I've kind of given up the idea of creating a mission for TG use as it's easier to let the guys who know what they are doing just do it...

Am I just being lazy by not exploring it myself? The thing is -- just a few pointers would save so much time for the uber noobs like me.
          sigpic
          |TG-1st|Grunt
          ARMA Admin (retired)
          Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

There is a pretty good tutorial here:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=93

That does some of the basics. There really is no good documentation beyond a few tutorials...it's all here and there. thank god for google.

OFPEC is also very good. Most of the OFP stuff is valid for Arma.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X