Disable Tags????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disable Tags????

I was under the impression that setting a mission to cadetMode = 0; in the server.cfg would put it into Vet mode and the in Vet mode tags are not shown.

How do I go about getting my mission not to show tags? Is this scriptable/settable or do I need an addon to do this?

Re: Disable Tags????

If it is written in the server.cfg, it should be disabled. Which server are you you trying it on?
    Last edited by TheBigC; 08-27-2007, 10:41 PM. Reason: Spelling FTW!
    "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

I was running it on the test server. Thanks BigC.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiner View Post
        I was under the impression that setting a mission to cadetMode = 0; in the server.cfg would put it into Vet mode and the in Vet mode tags are not shown.

How do I go about getting my mission not to show tags? Is this scriptable/settable or do I need an addon to do this?
        Playing multiplayer without tags is damn near impossible. I've tried it. It sucks.

"Who are you?" "I'm standing over by this thing." "Is this an AI? Who the hell is this?" *pop* "Who the **** shot me?" "What? I didn't do it, I'm surrounded by AIs I think."

Comment

It's not that bad if it's a small group. A large group has more problems because everybody looks the same. The squad leader should have the least problems though since soldiers are highlighted when they are selected for orders.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

If people know what they're doing and have good situational awareness, notags should not be a problem. Large groups can be organised into smaller fireteams and it is easy to see who is where - you don't really need to know who is who do you? If you do then look at their weapon, skin,. etc.
            Jex.

Comment

Not having tags really takes away from the immersion for me. It would be awesome if you could remove the tags for enemy units. However, even the best organized teams can get messed up and shuffled if it hits the fan. When two fireteams run into each other it turns into a frustrating process of attempting to figure out who is who because you can't recognize peoples faces or voices.

Comment

After testing we discovered that BIS has a friendly tags and enemy tags option. I'm going on the assumption for Domination we will have friendly tags on and enemy tags off.

Comment

I thought it has always been like that and the problem was you could just point at a distant contact and get a tag to ID the person as friendly. I didn't even know there were tags for enemies.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiner View Post
                    After testing we discovered that BIS has a friendly tags and enemy tags option. I'm going on the assumption for Domination we will have friendly tags on and enemy tags off.
                    @Shiner-

While browsing OFPEC I found the following script which you might be interested in. This might allow us to have all tags off (so you can't see ID youur teammates half way across the map but can ID them when you get close.

Recognise

This script allows the player to "recognise" units/vehicles near him. An action menu without any real action (dummy action) is attached to these units so when you get close the text with the unit's info is displayed.

Anyone playing the game properly will have friend (& foe) tags off since they are very gamey, however, there needs to be some way to recognise your comrades without telepathy!

Allows players who have friendly tags turned off to manually recognise their allies (infantry and those driving vehicles) when they are very close."

Note that due the nature of menu action handling of ArmA, in some cases the action menu might delay few seconds before being available, and in some cases you will need to be close and pointing directly to the unit to get the menu.

This script depends on SPON Core set of scripts, which is already included in the demo mission.
                    LoyalGuard

Comment

Can someone create an inventory item called GPS transponder. It will give you the option to 'ping gps' and you'll appear on the map briefly for your team to see. Make sure it fits in the pistol ammo slots.
                      |TG|Switch

Better known as:
                      That noob who crashed the chopper.
                      That noob who ran over the mine.
                      That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
                      That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

Originally posted by Switch View Post
                        Can someone create an inventory item called GPS transponder. It will give you the option to 'ping gps' and you'll appear on the map briefly for your team to see. Make sure it fits in the pistol ammo slots.
                        To make it an inventory item would require creating a custom addon with could cause modified data problems if they weren't server side. It would probably be easier to do this (even if less realistic) to do it with scripting triggered by the radio or action menus. It would have to be misson dependent though since the script(s) would have to be included by the mission maker. There are already some scripts out there that do this (or something similar)

Unit Tracker Script by Kronzky

Also, the 6th Sense.eu Pack 1 mod has unit/group tracking capability as well

6thSense.eu Pack1

To simulate "One ping only, please" (said in my best Sean Connert/Capt. Ramius Voice) you would have to add to/modify the scripting to allow tracking for a short period.
                        LoyalGuard

Comment

I was thinking this would instantly 'reveal' you on the map and then you'd disappear as normal units do when revealed for a moment.
                          |TG|Switch

Better known as:
                          That noob who crashed the chopper.
                          That noob who ran over the mine.
                          That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
                          That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X