Virtual Training Space - Fully Customizable Coop 25 Mission

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtual Training Space - Fully Customizable Coop 25 Mission

I have been watching a thread on the BIS forums for a couple of days now on a mission that will soon be released (as early as Sep 20) that I think could revolutionize how ArmA is played. It is called Virtual Training Space by [CTR]Grimm, and it claims the following:

Virtual Training Space by [CTR]Grimm, Customizable mission

Anywho
    You can choose your side, BLUFOR or OPFOR, for cooperation up to 25 players.

Anywhere
    This real time edition system works anywhere on the main Armed Assault map. You just have to locate your start point and your objective on the map (it may be in a town, in the country...). The objective will be materialized by a flag. The mission ends successfuly when a player approaches the flag at less than 3 meters.

You can focus on details too : how big is the enemy territory, how many patrolling ennemy groups will be there, how aggressive they will be...

Whenever
    You can choose time and weather (fog, rain...).

Anyhow
    You can play with or without respawn.

If you leave respawn "on", men will respawn near their leader, and the leader will respawn at the starting point (so protect the leader!.

If you set the respawn "off", when you die you will follow your teammates with a video system.

You can ask for weapons and vehicles on your starting point, depending on your side. You could do a mission with an M1A1 or T72 by example... With this option, a logistic convoy can be radio activated, allowing tou to rearm, refuel, repair...

You can start the mission on the ground or in the air. In this case, the dispersion of the paratroopers will depend on the weather. If winds are violent, you can be very far from each other.

More :

Enhanced AI
    If they have too many casualties or if they are outnumbered, your opponents will withdraw : the enemy leader will throw grenades if you are close, then smoke for his men to withdraw. Some time after, they will regroup and flank you.

New health and damage system
    If you are injured, a black screen will simulate blast for a few seconds, depending on how bad is your injury.

If you're really badly injured, some hemorrhage may happen. You will not survive a long time if you're not healed.

Medics can heal hemorrhages and injuries, but no more than 50 percent of the initial player's health. An other bullet, and the player will die for sure.

Medics have a limited amount of kits. How long a medical care lasts depends on how bad is the injury.

Artillery and satellite view

The leader can ask for artillery support and satellite view.
    My jaw kinds of dropped open when I first read the description. If the designer can pull all this off, this mission could be incredible for coop play. I think it would be great for organized coop nights, training sessions, or maybe even its own dedicated server.

Even though the actual objective is pretty simple (approach a flag within three meters) the ability to customize the area of operations (anywhere on the Island), the number of opfor, and their aggression level should make for infinite possibilities.

I also think the AI's ability to tactically withdraw and counter attack really sounds intriguing as well. I can also see this mission as a potential tool for other mission designers to test ideas for new missions before opening up the editor.

I am anxiously awaiting its release and would love to see it uploaded to the coop server for evaluation after it proves stable. What are all of your thoughts?

If you want more information, here is the thread in the BIS forums on the mission:

Topic: Virtual Training Space by [CTR]Grimm, Customizable mission

and an early YouTube trailer:

Virtual Training Space (english version)
    Last edited by loyalguard; 09-10-2007, 08:02 AM. Reason: Tyos
    LoyalGuard

Re: Virtual Training Space - Fully Customizable Coop 25 Mission

Sounds very good to me!
    sigpic

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Comment

wow, if he can pull that off, it will be "evoesque" in its impact on the community. But for the positive ;)
      Last edited by boudreux; 09-10-2007, 02:00 PM. Reason: needed more cheek!

Comment

The mission was released tonight (in English) and I have experimented with it for about two hours. I am very impressed! It is well-documented (6 page manual) and very easy to setup mission.

Because pictures speak louder than words, I am putting together an in-game vid capture of the mission creation process to show how easy it really is and how much variety is available despite a simple mission concept. I should hopefully have it done by tomorrow.
        LoyalGuard

Comment

Here is the video I have created that gives an overview of how to set up a quick custom mission in Virtual TrainingSpace. This video should show how easy it really is to get a custom mission going in just a few minutes.

The video shows the bare minimum needed to get started, but as stated by the mission creator, there are numerous parameters that can be customized for missions anywhere on the Island.

Link:

Virtual TrainingSpace Quick Custom Mission Overview on YouTube
          LoyalGuard

Comment

It looks smooth. I really like the ability for people to be able to "mix it up" when choosing a mission. This will definitly make CoOp never boring again!!
            "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Version 2 will be released soon with massive updates, new features, and increased ease of use:

Virtual TrainingSpace 2, Create your mission in real time
              LoyalGuard

Comment

Hmm... the limited medical assistance is an idea with good intentions, but erroneous execution.

Yes, medics DO have limited supplies, BUT:

1. Medics carry a large amount of supplies, enough to treat multiple casualties. Getting more medical supplies isn't a huge deal in real life, but is crippling in the game because we don't have the resources available to real world units;

2. All U.S. Army soldiers carry what is referred to as a "SMAK" kit (Soldier Medical Aid Kit), which provides all the necessary equipment and supplies to treat all common medical emergencies on the battlefield (except a sucking chest wound... don't think SMAK kits have that... but they do have an IV needle, a tourniquet, bandages, esophageal "J-tube", etc, etc). PLUS, squads are commonly issued a CLS bag (Combat LifeSaver) which is a miniature version of the gear that medics are issued - just stripped down to the essentials. Armed Assault does not simulate any of this.

When a unit rolls out the gate, they have ample medical supplies to treat numerous injuries. Limiting this capability and stripping it down to "simulate" the medic's supplies running out is... well, it's incorrect. Better to keep the "unlimited healing" capability of the in-game medic to better simulate the medic using the soldier's personal medical gear when needed.

What the hell is a "med kit" anyway? Are we simulating the ArmA medic running around with a little bundle with a big red cross on it, and when he throws it at someone, that person is magically healed? ;P The other medical stuff sounds GREAT, but the limited healing capability is MEH.

Comment

*bump*

I haven't seen this on our CoOp server, can we get it?

VTS2 is available here:

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bi...T;f=67;t=69498
                  | | |

Comment

I just tried a couple of the downloads, so I can add it to the server. I cannot get a complete set of files because some of them are corrupted it seems like. As soon as I can get the proper files, I will upload it so we can take it for a spin.....
                    "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

This sounds very promising for week nights when you can only muster a handfull of people. The new Evo Blue is near impossible with 3 players but with this we could set up a challenging but doable mission quickly. If enough people figure out how to use this we could run one server with this for a while.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X