Mods

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mods

I think everyone would agree that realism is a focus of our community here. I would like to get a discussion of the combination of mods used and why. I'm not looking for deep indepth analysis of every feature of the mod, but things like what it adds for realism, what it takes away from performance, etc. Those kinds of things. I'm curious as to what combinations people are using. If we find common ground, perhaps we can bundle some things together for easier download.

For sound I use the BPA real sounds. I actually prefer Chammy's weapons sounds, but the BPA adds a lot of environmental and ambient sounds that add a lot to the overall immersion. Much better movement noises and little things like that.

True View, I think everyone should use this. It's a small simple mod that adds a more realistic viewing range for your character. I also use the part of the true mods that removes a lot of the HUD and menu crap from in game. Makes text and such much less distracting and in the way. The clear backgrounds for menus are also a plus.

I use the ArmaEffects mod for adding a little more to the explosions and such in the game. Unlike XAM, this little mod adds a lot more interesting explosions and smoke without hurting your frames. Explosions are much more dust filled, like seen in combat videos. I also noticed Helo's can kick up dust as well this this. I think the smoke is on par with other smoke mods, but an added bonus as well without any noticeable performance hit.

I also use the Six_Pack1 for tracers and blood effects. I disable the other tracking and map stuff done in the pack because I don't need or want it, but the tracers and blood are nice little extras.

Some of these mods will be a hindrance in intersquad/community play. The effects adds a lot of obscuration with explosions so a near miss with an explosive can actually conceal your target from you while not hindering them(unless they have the mod too). I'm also unsure how the ballistics mods work out. Can anyone verify that they work on our server? Again, they would be a hindrance in any TvT setting as there is more bullet drop. These are things to consider for our community, we may want to standardize mods to level the playing field.
    |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Re: Mods

I don't have too much to add, Khan, because 1) I agree that the use of mods that enhance realism is the way to go for me and 2) I run almost the same exact mod configuration as you for the same reasons.

I switch back and forth between BPA and CSM to see where each excels over the other but I agree with your opinion that BPA is better for environmentals and CSM is better for weapons sounds (especially richochets and near misses).

True View and True In Game GUI are awesome. It really makes the game more immersive. I also use the crosshairs features that come with True Mods so I now see no crosshairs except for some limited vehicle/aircraft/and grenande related views. Overall the screen is much less cluttered so I have a better field of vision and I love the changes to the GPS (smaller and at the bottom).

ArmAEffects is a great little mod again for the increased realism.

I also use six sense tracers and blood. I have disabled markers and CRDS because I think unless everyone is using the same markers or the "bleeding" effects I think its unfavorable.

So, overall I agree that the use of realism-inspired mods is the way to go.
    LoyalGuard

Comment

I use CSM for my sounds, I love them and am to lazy to go switch back and forth to see better/worse. Plus theres a new release coming out soon..we hope.

I also use the Six Pack(everything). I use the CRDS because to me, it adds realism, I do agree in a TVT situation it is a hindrance to the people using it, but for what it adds to the game(Ie. Blackout, yes i deffinatly need a medic now)

I also use TrueMods, due to the GUI and allowing me and my TIR to have a greater and more realistic view.

I have not tried any effects mods, but i think I will try the ArmAEffects. As long as it doesn't kill frames.

I think, no, I know once ACE comes out, that will be the mod of choice for me and TG should move over to in IMHO. It just enhances the gameplay aspect and will even terms with everyone and their mods.

Comment

It's probably good to talk about this in the stickied recommended client-side mods. A lot of the popular ones are already indexed in the first post.

I use most of the common ones like a sound mod (CSM for me) and TrueView. I also have VoiceQuiet that fixes an audio problem I have (radio volume setting doesn't work so this mod turns it off as well as improving AI order response time). I've also added Kegety's spectating client side addon for missions that use his spectating script.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I've disabled TrueView because it limits the zoom. A shame, because the menus and large compass were very nice.

Other than that, the same mods you run, khan. We could try and get permission from the mod makers and cram the most used and agreed upon mods into one TG Arma Mod (a la tacticalmod for bf2) and make that the standard.

Comment

Originally posted by Shafik View Post
            I've disabled TrueView because it limits the zoom. A shame, because the menus and large compass were very nice...
            FYI Shafik, with the latest version of the TrueMods, you can disable the "view" portion and still keep the modified menus, compass, etc. In the mod/addon folder there should be a sub folder called "Disabled PBO's" or something like. All you have to do is drag the TrueView & TrueMovementSound PBOs into the disabled folder to turn them off leaving only the user interface changes.
            LoyalGuard

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc= View Post
              It's probably good to talk about this in the stickied recommended client-side mods. A lot of the popular ones are already indexed in the first post.
              I debated that, but I wasn't sure we'd actually get the info we wanted and didn't want to clutter that thread. I just want that to be a reference, if we need to we can merge or sticky this one as well.

@Shafik,

What issue with zoom with TrueView? I have not noticed any lack of zooming, but I could be missing something.
              |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

Comment

@khan: when you go into iron sights, you have the ability to zoom in a bit more. As if focusing on the target. Truemods zooms in far less than the default. I found it harder to hit far off targets.

@loyal: Thanks, I didnt know that. I'm sort of not liking the no-ammo-count thing, though, so I'm not sure I'll reinstall. I know it's much more realistic without the count, but I don't like hearing that Click! when I run dry. If you can keep the compass only... that'd be something else.

Comment

@khan: when you go into iron sights, you have the ability to zoom in a bit more. As if focusing on the target. Truemods zooms in far less than the default. I found it harder to hit far off targets.
                  @Khan - Here is an image someone made that exemplifies what Shafik is describing:

@Shafik - I agree with you, I saw your post in the BIS forums about that but I never saw a response...I really like it when mods let you pick and choose which features you get...hopefully will see more of this in the future.
                  LoyalGuard

Comment

I use the following ones:

*ArmA Visual (those damage textures are so nice. Replaces a lot of the ugly stock ones)
                    *BParRealSounds
                    *DMS Smoke Effects (ArmA Effects gets ugly sprites on black smoke because of my low detail settings)
                    *GMJ Sight Adjustment (Really nice to be able to set the distance your M24 and SPR are zeroed at, so you don't have to toy with MILS dots to hit something at over 200m)
                    *TrueMods

In addition to the above I use RHS v2.0's VDV and weapon skins, the 2nd MEF Units skins, and AMP Desert Weapons. I've written replacement configs for all of them, so if anyone is interested, just PM me.

Oh, and about changing ballistics... Unless the server uses the addon too you'll get wonky results, i.e. your computer tells the server what to do, even thoguh it doesn't correlate with what is happening on the server.
                    I sure wouldn't mind if you made NWD Ballistics standard on the servers though.
                    Last edited by Inkompetent; 09-28-2007, 07:40 AM.

Comment

I must be behind on the TrueView versions. I don't get a big compass or a lack of zoom. Although, the zooming may be TrackIR. I can zoom way out to the point I can see my character's forearms or all the way in where the scope fills the screen.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Sarc, there is a TrueMods pack. In it are several mods. You can run the whole thing or take what you want. I use the Trueview and the HUD one(which includes the compass), but I forget the name.
                        |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

Comment

Other than the Sixth Sense mods and BPARealSounds, I use NWD Ballistics, NWD Scope Fix and GMJ Sight Adjustment. I use these because I'm a fanatic of all things scoped and these mods adjust the ballistics on bullet drop and how windage and such affects a shot.

Scope Fix is pretty much a more accurate reskin of the pips and mils used in game.

The Sight Adjustment mod allows me to 'zero-in' my scope on a target at any range so long as I my calculations are correct.

So far I haven't noticed any notable hits to performance as a result from using these mods.
                          | | |

Comment

FYI, new version of True Mods out..several new modules to include more accurate zoom (to correct the probs that Shafik and I posted above), improved menus, new FOV modules and an improved NVG module.

TrueMods - 2nd Release

I'll post screens as soon as imageshack is running again.
                            LoyalGuard

Comment

I have not been keeping up with the mods trends, or been playing ArmA much (Been using all my gaming time into testing for other games).

Still using CSM and Six tracers.. and now truemods
                              I would be interested in Dling and using a "mod pack" that all of you use(to keep us all on the "same page").

But, you all must remember that all players are not using a uber rig with the newest of 8800's... I run with lower video settings with higher view distance. I feel gameplay is more important than video quality.

EDIT: DLd the truemods.. like the smaller font, BUT I want my ammo count back in, which .pbo is it?
                              Last edited by ANGELofDEATH; 10-06-2007, 12:36 PM.
                              theeANGELofDEATH(Steam/Origin)
                              E Pluribus Unum
                              Sarcasm is just another free service I offer
                              Si vis pacem, para bellum .. Molon Labe

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed