X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sakakah Al Jawf OPEN BETA

Now we're cooking with gas!

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bi...0;t=68968;st=0

It's beta and unfinished, but spent some time flying around the city to check it out. It's going to be awesome for some large scale MOUT.

I imagine there will be some missions available pretty quickly for this map.

*NOTE*:

With lots of addons coming out I though I'd share with you how I organize them. Instead of having a seperate add-on (mod) folder or just simply dumping the addon pbo into the default ArmA addon folder, I created a new folder C:\Program Files\Atari\ArmA\@Addons\Addons and put all my downloaded addons (i.e. vehicles,islands,etc) in there. Then it's simply a matter of including the @Addons folder in your mod list and it will load all of these when you fire up the game. If I decide to use something full time, I will then make a seperate mod folder for it.
    Last edited by Brewski; 10-13-2007, 11:02 AM.

Re: Sakakah Al Jawf OPEN BETA

Yup this looks great. I'm already thinking of a particular mission for this :)

Good idea on the folders too.

Edit: After taking another look at this map, I'm thinking it's not that good after all. The buildings looked like they've been plonked on land and just don't look realistic in their placing, too much copy and paste and too many massively open areas between places. A lot of this map doesn't make sense. It's a pretty good map but not great as i first thought.
    Last edited by jex; 10-13-2007, 06:54 PM.
    Jex.

Comment

The problem with Iraq is that everything looks the same, but the difference is in the details. That's a difficult thing to replicate with the building palette present in Armed Assault.

I will say that if the map and city layout doesn't make sense, then it's already a success. There's no rhyme or reason to the layout of cities in Iraq, and everything just meanders and sprawls out in every which direction. The massive open areas, the confusing layout, and other things are inherent to all the Iraqi cities I've been in. The landscape is basically flat with very little deviation in elevation through the majority of the country.

However, I'm just commenting on the "realism" aspects you alluded to, Jex. I haven't loaded it up, so I can't comment on the actual technical construction of the map. Perhaps I'll do so later tonight. Something to do.

Comment

Well, it is beta and the author says it will only get better.

I see all sorts of interesting possibilities with mechanized inf. moving through the city.

Comment

The city is from Saudi, not Iraq, I would imagine there are some differences between the two countries. However, take a look at the map and you might see what I mean.
          Jex.

Comment

Negligible. Same terrain (even more boring than Iraq, actually), no elevation to speak of (sand stretches to the horizon without deviation), and - while being a much richer country - Saudi still shares the same style of "slums", for lack of a better term.

Comment

Having been to neither or seeing the actual area, I wouldn't know. Have you looked at the map yet?
              Jex.

Comment

I keep meaning to, but I've been preparing for Wednesday's scrim + working on some Photoshop crap.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X