What Sound mod are you using?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Sound mod are you using?

Sound mods really bug me. Not because they sound much better than Arma's awful stock sounds, but because they differ so much in how far away you can hear stuff. Everybody hears things at different distances and some of those distances are unrealistic. One mission on Domination to get a convoy ended up with us waiting 10 minutes because the enemy sounded so close, yet were miles away.

Having used 3 sound mods (BPA, CSM and FDF), the best one I have found so far is FDF as it provides good weapon effects and a reduced sound of engines at distance. That being said, I haven't used CSM for a while and wonder if any updates have fixed the problem.

So I'm wondering what sound mods people use and what impact this would have on gaming, i.e. TvT matches and realism for coop.
    Jex.

Re: What Sound mod are you using?

i use chammy's but depending on the sound card you have the sounds can differ by quite alot.

Comment

I'm interested in this too - I have an old version of chammy's right now, but I'm curious what else is out there....

Comment

My modded Chammy's sounded great for weapons, but the vehicle sounds were either too loud or just off. It is an interesting proposal. I think many people agree that Chammy's is probably the best of the weapon, but until a finished version with all sounds is released it lacks severely, great for firefights though.

I thin BPA provides the best environmental and background sounds so I use it for the immersion.
        |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Is there a way of taking the weapon sounds from CSM and everything else from FDF or another similar mod?
          "I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, sweat and tears"

Comment

Yes. Look up the thread on Chammy's, I think it's called "great new sound mod" or something. It gives instructions for un .PBO files. That's what I did for Chammy's, I took his sounds, then added the vehicle sounds from Modwar. The problem is the levels and configs aren't right because of it. If you dig on the official BIS forums you may find more instructions on adjusting the config.
            |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

Comment

Originally posted by Insanatrix View Post
              i use chammy's but depending on the sound card you have the sounds can differ by quite alot.
              That's true but the range that those sounds play wouldn't be affected would it?
              Jex.

Comment

it depends based on wether you have some cheesy onboard sound or the latest sound blaster, that supports all the new EAX features like sound occlusion and such. stuff like reverb and echo are what make you hear the sound from 5km away. most of the onboard sound cards dont support feature's like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Insanatrix View Post
                  it depends based on wether you have some cheesy onboard sound or the latest sound blaster, that supports all the new EAX features like sound occlusion and such. stuff like reverb and echo are what make you hear the sound from 5km away. most of the onboard sound cards dont support feature's like that.
                  When I changed sound drivers, my EAX option was disabled by default. It was amazing the difference when I turned it back on.
                  |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

Comment

Yes EAX makes a big difference, but there is also a HUGE difference between dedicated hardware producing sound and software produced sound. There are limitations to what the software can emulate as opposed to a dedicated processor. Stuff like reverb, echo, sound position, environments etc... when i use chammy's on this old realtek onboard sound it sounds literally horrible because it just cannot emulate the newer modern technologies of processing the sound. I watch video's with chammy's sound mod in them and they do not sound the same as what comes out of my speakers.

Comment

I never thought of that Insanatrix. Not everyone is running an AudigyXXX or comparable PCI card. It would make a tremendous difference in preference of sounds especially with Chammy's.
                      |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

Comment

yeah i mean even the difference between an older audigy and some of the new X-FI cards is pretty tremendous.

Comment

I combined chammys and modwarsound mod for vehicles and chammys for weapons.. and its running good for me... I just can't stand the default crap sounds for arma and looks to be the same with arma 2 as well

Comment

I personally use Chammy's. I like the sounds, and can't wait for the update, the audio levels are being increase iirc. I have used FDF, they are pretty good, I may go download it and try it again.

Comment

Im using FFAM i like it but i dont kno how it will vary depending on your computer.

TheCityLife.webs.com

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X