Rahmadi Motocross

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rahmadi Motocross

UPDATE VIA EDIT: This project is on indefinite hold as a multiplayer mission due to techincal reasons. See this post below: http://www.tacticalgamer.com/842029-post13.html

Because I am a tease, I thought I'd share a little sneak peak into my next ArmA project (still in early development). As inspired by Gogeta:

Rahmadi Motocross Preview at YouTube (Please excuse the poor quality - it was a quick vid!)
    Last edited by loyalguard; 11-26-2007, 09:32 AM. Reason: Project Suspended
    LoyalGuard

Re: Rahmadi Motocross

Looking good Loyal! Let us know when you need some testers.

Comment

omg I love you! Dood that is so sweet. I cannot wait to rip it up!!
      Dizlor

Comment

Gogeta can predict the future.

That is awesome, looks like a blast.

Comment

Haha very well done, looks fun.

Comment

*applause*

That's a pretty unique approach to Arma, lol
            SADD - Soldiers Against Dumb Drivers - Campaign
            Friends don't let friends drive enemy vehicles.

Comment

Add in OPFOR with live ammunition placed around the track, and you've got a winner.

Comment

My origional idea was to have a big ramp with 5tons lined up side by side... :D But when loyal came up with the motocross idea, I fell in love <3

We gotta find out some way to amp those babies up and make the bikes go faster :)
                Dizlor

Comment

The ramp thing is possible, I toyed with a couple of configurations but the "aerodynamics" of motorcycles in ArmA is not all that great so everytime I hit the ramp is does a little "pre-jump" and you lose a lot of inertia. I'll keep working on different angles and such.

I am pretty happy with the final track layout (it is easy and hard at the same time) and I am now working on a place system (1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc.). I am going to start with 6 racing slots and three laps to make sure it works. It will be fully multiplayer capable. Now that I have the hang of track building, I should be able to build more tracks. If you have any suggestions on layouts let me know (links). The only limitation is finding good terrain to lay it down. The rocks, bushes, and other nonsense make it hard to build the layout that you want.
                  LoyalGuard

Comment

Originally posted by Gogeta View Post
                    My origional idea was to have a big ramp with 5tons lined up side by side...
                    And risk wrecking a 5ton? Are you mad?!

Comment

Here is a new vid showing my progress so far. The video is also a little better quality than the first (but YouTube qual still sucks). I'll work on getting a hi-qual version uploaded. Here are the things I have implemented:

-Additional Track improvements - Adjusted height of jumps and tabletops for better balance of smoothness and difficulty.
                      -"Starter System" via radio call - When all players are ready, one player use the radio to start the race after 10 secs.
                      -"Starting Gates" - I placed some popper targets to act as starting gates. They go down 10 secs after the radio "ready" signal.
                      -Lap Counter - counts and displays the current lap of the race leader (this is the hint you see near the end of the video). Five laps per race.
                      -Judges Tower - Elevated tower between start and finish line to observe the whole race.
                      -8 Racing Slots - 8 players MP will be able to race.
                      -Finish Line Checkered Flags - Change the US flag to a custom checkered flag

TODO:
                      -Add "spectators"
                      -Add a "Timer System" to track race times
                      -Add "Placing System" (1st, 2nd, 3rd) (This will be the hardest part)

I hope to have a playable MP demo by the weekend (even if official placing isn't in place)

Stay tuned!

Here's the new video:

Rahmadi Motocross Pre-Alpha at YouTube.com
                      LoyalGuard

Comment

Dont forget the "Turbo" button guys.

Comment

I have some unfortunate news regarding this project.

I am going to suspend this as a multiplater mission because there are too many persistent issues with making it multiplayer. Specifically, it is very hard to make the ArmA engine count laps for specific players on a dedicated server. It can be played MP, but there are no automatic race features (times, lap count, place results). A one lap race is fairly easy, but a multi-lap race is only possible with a lot more scripting (I have already put 20+ hours into it). If anyone is interested in playing this as an unfinished but working single-player race let me know and I will provide you the mission file. If you want to build your own track in ArmA also please let me know and I will share some tips and tricks with you.

If I can devise a way of completing this project effeciently in the future I will do so but for now I would prefer to work on other projects.

Thanks for your understanding!
                          LoyalGuard

Comment

No problem loyal! You did more than I could expect :) Thanks man.. Im enjoyin rippin it up in SP regardless :D
                            Dizlor

Comment

I've been off gallivanting in COD 4 land but eventually will log on for some ARMA when the rush of the rush dies down a bit. This is something I was looking forward to so I'll chime in here as a johnny come lately.

What if you forgot about laps and did a rally type event with various checkpoints. God knows the map is big enough for a rally...this eliminates the need for lap counting...specific vehicles for specifc sections...yada yada...

Now keeping everyone focused on staying on course...that would be a challenge in this approach.

Time between checkpoints recorded as a score...persistent approach...checkpoint times change only when the times are beat...people come and go...race together or singly...anyway..thanks for your hard work Loyal...you are a credit to TG and we are lucky to have you.
                              sigpic
                              |TG-1st|Grunt
                              ARMA Admin (retired)
                              Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed