Things to Remember about SL'ing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things to Remember about SL'ing

1.) Remember to keep all members of the squad busy. Even if it's as simple as watching a flank until something else comes up. Having idle people without jobs tends to lead to lonewolfing and wasting time as the squad regroups. Keeping them busy, keeps them on task and in the Chain of Command.

2.) Proper use of resources.

A: If you have snipers in your squad, they are better used at medium to long range, not in close quarters combat. If you lack the expirence to effectively use them, ask them how they would best accomplish the goals you set out for them.

B: If you have Machinegunners, use the flanks. If you engage the enemy, having them move to the left or right even 30 feet and put down suppressive fire (a blanket of lead, more ment to keep the enemy pinned, then to kill) can help those on point fall back to cover. Don't put your machinegunners on point, they are to respond to the enemy not be the first targets of the enemy.

C: AT and Medics, should be used together. If there is a tank that needs to be blown up, have the medics provide cover fire while the AT lines up the shots. If the Medic needs to revive or heal someone, have the AT's cover while that is being done. If neither job is needed, they should be in the "rear with the gear". This is so that the specialized resources can be called on when the excriment hits the turbine.

3.) Never order a squad to move out until you know everyone is ready and knows where to move out to. This can be as simple as telling a squad to move east by northeast in a Vee formation towards a visable landmark. Try to set rally points by landmarks. This is to keep people from having to pull the map out every time an orders given. Squad Members tend to get seperated in this way, as different people take different amounts of time to look at maps. When you do order the move out, watch your squad members, and if someone starts off in the wrong direction or doesn't move, bring it up so that they don't get lost.

4.) Keep vehicles together and orginized. Having vehicles going off randomly towards objectives tends to just waste resources. Don't let choppers off the ground until they have cleared it with you. If you assign pilots/drivers, insure that they are piloting/driving. Also, by keeping them together, they can bring the combined firepower to bare. Eliminating the enemy faster and allowing for less casulties.

Feel free to add to this any other points that you feel helps SL'er's manage their squad. This is by no means the end all be all of SL'ing, it is ment as friendly advice to those that want to SL.
    sigpic

Re: Things to Remember about SL'ing

Originally posted by Xen View Post
    1.) Remember to keep all members of the squad busy. Even if it's as simple as watching a flank until something else comes up. Having idle people without jobs tends to lead to lonewolfing and wasting time as the squad regroups. Keeping them busy, keeps them on task and in the Chain of Command.
    If they go off and do something without orders, that's a problem on the player's side, not the squad leader's side. One reminder at the beginning to avoid running off on your own should be sufficient.

C: AT and Medics, should be used together. If there is a tank that needs to be blown up, have the medics provide cover fire while the AT lines up the shots. If the Medic needs to revive or heal someone, have the AT's cover while that is being done. If neither job is needed, they should be in the "rear with the gear". This is so that the specialized resources can be called on when the excriment hits the turbine.
    Why put medics and AT together? Regular riflemen are perfectly capable of covering friendlies and I'd rather not have two valuable assets in the same place.

3.) Never order a squad to move out until you know everyone is ready and knows where to move out to. This can be as simple as telling a squad to move east by northeast in a Vee formation towards a visable landmark. Try to set rally points by landmarks. This is to keep people from having to pull the map out every time an orders given. Squad Members tend to get seperated in this way, as different people take different amounts of time to look at maps. When you do order the move out, watch your squad members, and if someone starts off in the wrong direction or doesn't move, bring it up so that they don't get lost.
    For short ranges this works fine; if I want a separated squad to rally or a squad to move a long distance, generally in the former case a cardinal direction isn't universal and in the latter case the squad won't be able to see their objective. Also, it sounds like we need a map training course. Throw someone out into the middle of Sahrani and tell them to find a specific house in Corazol.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
    I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
    Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

If they go off and do something without orders, that's a problem on the player's side, not the squad leader's side. One reminder at the beginning to avoid running off on your own should be sufficient.

Well if your left in a squad doing nothing your gonna get bored..if your squad leader isnt giving you anything to do cept watch the back of the squad doing all the work you will start to do other stuff without order...then i would say it more the squad leaders fault if the player goes of without orders

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
      So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

No, it's really the player's fault. If you don't receive orders, you don't do things. If you're really bored, pester the squad leader for orders. You should never be running off on your own. Can someone with military experience explain what would probably happen to you (from a disciplinary perspective) if you left because you "got bored"?
        The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
        I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
        Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

If you're tasked to overwatch the squad, regardless of whether they're doing all the work, and you wander off...that's the player's fault. Expect consequences if there is an admin present.
          | | |

Comment

Originally posted by ednos View Post
            For short ranges this works fine; if I want a separated squad to rally or a squad to move a long distance, generally in the former case a cardinal direction isn't universal and in the latter case the squad won't be able to see their objective. Also, it sounds like we need a map training course. Throw someone out into the middle of Sahrani and tell them to find a specific house in Corazol.
            It's as simple as breaking the long distances up into sections, that it can work with. And, that way the objective is always in sight and there is constant communication. If trying to go long distance and you run into the enemy, your going to have to change the plan on the fly. If you make new marks on the map to avoid the enemy, and then everyone has to look at hte map. Well, that could easily get players killed. Really the only people looking at a map should be the Squad CO and his Second in command. If proper oders are given, the squad should be able to follow them to that specific house in Corazol without having to look at the map once. Relying on the SL to provide proper navigation.
            sigpic

Comment

Why put medics and AT together? Regular riflemen are perfectly capable of covering friendlies and I'd rather not have two valuable assets in the same place.
              I would do this to keep them out of the front line where the regular riflemen should be fighting. If they move together to take care of one of their two jobs, it doesn't divert resources away from that fight to insure the Medic/AT is covered. Once the job is done they should fall back and get out of the line of fire, not continue to engage. Troop engagement is the riflemans job. I should also include the Engineer in this as well really.
              sigpic

Comment

Can someone with military experience explain what would probably happen to you (from a disciplinary perspective) if you left because you "got bored"?
                The Commanding officer would investigate and after conducting a summary hearing, award limited punishments to private soldiers and N.C.O.s

If the offense is found to be more serious it would be taken to a Court-Martial....

I wasnt trying to say that if your bored with the task at hand you run of and do what you want, i was trying to say more along the lines if the squad leader is failing at his/her job as squad lead by not giving orders..the solider should take over and take it upon themselves to either take command or finish the overall objective without risking themselves or others in the progress.

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
                So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

No, that's not the case at all. If you fail the objective, the Squad Leader will receive a court martial. It's never upon you to make decisions for the squad or for yourself outside of your squad leader's orders. I'm not sure I can stress this enough--NEVER undermine the chain of command.
                  Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Well... depends what the squad leader failed at. Usually UCMJ action is reserved for gross acts of incompetence and negligence. Failure at leadership usually just results in being relieved of the position and shifting into some other job where you can't do any harm.

I had a squad leader that was pretty horrible at his job (getting lost, babbling on the coms, etc), but he was a good guy. They subsequentially "gave" him a commander spot on a Bradley where the gunner could watch over him and keep him out of trouble.

It all depends on what you're screwing up. If you try and fail... that's one thing. If you wander off your objective in the mission and do your own thing... yeah. The entire squad might receive UCMJ action.

Comment

I'm not sure a soldier would go off on his. Soldiers don't get the luxury of respawn and only a madman would leave the protection of his squad to go rambo'ing around the countryside. Fireteams and squads work because you train as a team, there is no course in the army called 'lonewolf' unless you're getting into spec ops such as snipers and FO's perhaps. Could you imagine a soldier deciding he'd had enough of guarding the flank and running of through the streets of Iraq to hunt down insurgents on his own?
                      Jex.

Comment

Originally posted by jex View Post
                        Could you imagine a soldier deciding he'd had enough of guarding the flank and running of through the streets of Iraq to hunt down insurgents on his own?
                        Actually right after I read this I did imagine it, it brought a sadistic chuckle. And, he'd last all of about 15 minutes. If he wasn't shot by his own guys.
                        sigpic

Comment

I'm gonna go ahead and say that, in the interest of realism, you never, ever, ever, ever, ever disobey orders no matter how boring they are. Also, I can guarantee you that if I'm the mission designer, you're going to want to watch that damn flank. I'm tired of the localized enemy; if I ever finish any of my ideas, prepare to die. I've found some interesting methods of controlling the AI. SQF isn't the most convenient language ever designed, but it's got some significant flexibility.
                          Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X