A Mission Building Exercise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Mission Building Exercise

Anyone out there interested in making missions? I was thinking that we could meet up on TS and spend some time coming up with some missions and learning as we go. I don't know a great deal but if we get a few of us, maybe we can bounce ideas off each other and put our minds together to work out problems we might face.

So for instance, we can be making our own missions but if we get stuck on something, we can ask someone or pool resources and look up the answer. I'm thinking this would be a good way for us beginners to make a start in a cooperative way but each of us working on our own ideas.

So this is open to anyone from novice to expert and maybe we can make some missions to put up on the server. Any takers?
    Jex.

Re: A Mission Building Exercise

I like the idea. Are you in the Mission Development group?
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
    I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
    Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

I'm in for that!
      | | |

Comment

I'm down
        sigpic

Comment

That'S a good idea.

Comment

I'm not in the mission dev group but someone who wants to make some missions and I like the idea of being able to have peeps around to ask questions or to find the answers together. I reckon that each of us will know a little bit here and there and anything we don't know we can find the answers online hopefully.

So we should all think of a fairly simple mission to begin with that we can realistically achieve and then get in and start working on it. Having almost made 1 mission, I think that it might be a good idea to start like this (but if u have ur own method, go for it).

- Get the objectives down first (eg blow up X)
            - Get the breifing down
            - Intro/outro (if you want one)
            - add the enemy
            - anything else

Adding the enemy last allows you to test the objectives work without the hassle of the enemy being present. We can then test that the breifing works and marks off the objectives and the mission ends properly. Once that is done we can then add in the enemy presence and test it again (place yourself as a player on enemy side, make sure that patrols are following their routes, armour doesn't end up flipped over, etc). This way we should have a pretty stable game already tested and bugs ironed out.

Things to think about:

- Mission objectives (See below)
            - How many enemy to place (not too few or too many)
            - Kit to give the players
            - distance to travel and appropriate means of transport
            - How many player slots

Some ideas for Plot lines:

- Destroy the X (armour, trucks, bridge, building, etc)
            - Assassination
            - Search and Rescue (SAR)
            - Search & Destroy
            - Data retrieval
            - Patrol
            - Ambush convoy
            - etc

You could include a combination of objectives (i.e. Patrol and destroy something). Also think about where the players will start (At base and having to make their way to obj. or already dropped off at the LZ). Maybe a few suprises but not things that the players can't react to (i.e. a sniper lying in a bush in the middle of nowhere). Try and think of realism and how the enemy would realistically set up their forces and patrols.

Now all we need to do is pick a time and day to meet on TS. As this is likely to take a few hours, we can be fairly flexible. If we chose to start at 11am as an example, don't worry if you can't make it until 1pm as we'll still be around. Obviously it would be good to all be able to start together. Also remember to bring beer and snacks :)

I'm fairly flexible on times on either this w/end or next. Perhaps everyone can put down when they can make it and try to work out a time that suits us all.
            Jex.

Comment

So anyone want to put down their availability so we can hook up?
              Jex.

Comment

I am free whenever... But do not wait too long to setup a time and date, not every can ever agree on a time.
                "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Weekends, period.
                  The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
                  I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
                  Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Pretty much every day after 1900 est.

Comment

OK I'm thinking weekends too. Lets set a date for saturday 15th at 18:00 EST and then people can just jump in when they can?
                      Jex.

Comment

Sounds good.
                        Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Sounds good to me too

Comment

to get you started. http://www.ofpec.com/ed_depot/beginners/

I actually did it and it helped clarify a few things. I still can't get a few things to work.

Comment

I won't be there after all. We're celebrating st-patrick this saturday. I'm not irish, far from there lol, but I love beer :row__523:

maybe next time :icon_cool

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X