This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACE - Advanced Combat Environment

Some of you may already be familiar with either the Wargames League mod for Operation Flashpoint, or the in-development Advanced Combat Environment mod for Armed Assault. For those that aren't, the intent behind both mods is basically to turn their respective games more towards in-depth combat simulation, enhancing playability through the use of positive changes and additions to the simulation framework inherent in their respective games. In short, it is an evolution in gameplay, taking what BIS has created and expanding on it in as many positive ways as possible, with the emphasis being on realism focused towards enhancing the gameplay experience. .

Advanced Combat Environment is the ArmA followup to the Wargames League mod. WGL for OFP was easily my favorite OFP mod by far - when ShackTac switched over to it in 2006, we never could go back to anything else. It totally redefined how OFP was played for us. From the testing we have been doing with ACE in recent weeks, ACE is set to have the same impact on ArmA as WGL once did on OFP. In a word, it's incredible.

I'm creating this topic on TG to open up discussion and field any questions that might be on your minds.

A brief rundown of some of the ACE features follows. There is a lot to this mod, and this is only part of it.
    Originally posted by ACE Features

- Robust stamina system that factors in the weight of your gear, speed of movement, steepness of terrain, weather, wounds, and more. The pacing of combat becomes a lot more authentic when people can no longer endlessly sprint around the map and exploit their superhuman endurance.

- Detailed medical system. The current implementation takes what worked well and builds on it, and the in-development version goes even beyond that. Bleeding, self-aid, buddy aid, bandaging, transportation of the wounded, etc - you name it, it's in or being developed in. The gameplay we have had from this alone has been spectacular. There's nothing quite like seeing someone get hit, running over to them, dragging them away, then doing a quick examination and following that with the appropriate medical attention.

- Greatly enhanced damage model. When you're shot, you can expect to be wounded more often than killed, as is the reality of combat. Stunning can occur, based on the severity of the injury, as can being knocked down, dropping your weapon, being rendered temporarily unconscious (ie: from an explosion). Can't walk? Stunned? Unconscious? No worries - a buddy can drag you from the battlefield and call a medic over to tend to you. The same system applies to vehicles as well - if a vehicle takes a hard hit, it's likely that the crew will be knocked out, which may cause their vehicle to drive erratically or come to a halt. Fellow soldiers can then run to it and drag the unconcious crew members out of the vehicle and to safety.

- Rucksacks & improved inventory system. The rucksack system from Wargames League has been greatly enhanced - the interface is integrated with the gear menu and is absolutely trivial to learn and use. Pack extra ammo, grenades, medical supplies, etc, in a rucksack that can be dropped when necessary to lighten your load (ie at the final staging area before an assault).

- Crew-served weapons. An M2 team may consist of several people - one with the gun itself, one with the tripod, and another with ammo. You can deploy these weapons anywhere (even on top of buildings), break them down to transport somewhere else, or even pick up the fully deployed weapon with the help of several players and move it to a new location.

- Realistic aircraft egress. Jets have ejection seats that will propel you clear before deploying your parachute. There are no more "magic parachutes" - if you jump out of a helo and aren't packing a parachute, you're going to plummet to your grisly demise. Parachutes are an inventory item that must be present for parachute functionality to happen, and you'll be able to choose when you pull the ripcord to avoid those awkward "Oh god please don't shoot me in my chute" deaths that can otherwise happen.

- Authentic startup times for vehicles. No more instant-on Abrams. While you will not have to wait the full amount of time that some vehicles require in reality for the sake of gameplay and fun, there will be delays to encourage proper and realistic gameplay behaviors.

- Fantastic visual effects, created by none other than Maddmatt. If you've used his public ArmA Effects stuff, you'll have a good idea of what to expect.

- Tweaked vehicular damage, resulting in less catastrophic kills, and more of a focus on mobility kills and other non-catastrophic-explosion-causing forms of destruction.

- Authentic helicopter gunnery. Currently in the mid stages of development, the ACE Cobra features a fantastically modeled set of weaponry and functionality taken straight from the actual Cobra flight manual. More details on this in the future - we're keeping the specifics under wraps for right now, but rest assured that the end result is going to please anyone who has ever wished that the ArmA helo experience was more than just "lock-fire-rinse-repeat".

- Enhanced AI behaviors and more authentic levels of accuracy and lethality. Combine this with other aspects of ACE and you have firefights that last longer, result in more wounding and less killing, and just generally are more enjoyable to partake in.

- Other assorted cool things - backblast for anti-tank weapons, blast overpressure effects, no ammo counter for rifles and such (with the ability to do a "magazine check" to get an idea of how full your current magazine is), enhanced recoil modeling, simulation of unexploded ordnance, wind influencing helicopter flight, new character types (ADF, USMC, USN/SEAL, USARMY), weapons, and vehicles, proper anti-tank rocket ballistics, etc etc etc. That's not even counting a ton of things that are in the pipeline (such as the radio enhancements, map enhancements, and a ton more).

- Over 25 islands ported from WGL for OFP. While not as visually pretty as Sahrani, these islands provide tried-and-true gameplay that gets you off of Sahrani for some varied terrain and new combat and mission possibilities. They don't look half bad in the ArmA engine, either! There's also a brand new ArmA island that has been created, but the details of that will have to wait until a bit later.

Re: ACE - Advanced Combat Environment

Well, I'm excited about this. Can't wait to play an actually useful Medic. :)

Is there an approximate release for a first public beta or something?

Comment

Yeah me too Shafik - this is taking arma in exactly the right direction. Everything listed above sounds great and that's my only question as well - when? :)
      Jex.

Comment

Cant wait to play this..new maps and so many other great things about it....only question is how long do we need to wait lol

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
        So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

I'm absolutely sure ACE is going to be great, but I wouldn't mind if you could actually answer a couple of questions:
          - How's the diagnosis part handled for the medic?
          - Are ammo/bandage rucks still in, or you can find anything in the rucksack, ammo box stlyle?
          - Are smoke effects finally vis-blocking for AI? (if I remember well, in WGL at least smoke nades were; oh, and do they put up more smoke?)
          - I've read on BIS forum that you already have suppresive fire working both ways; how does AI use it? Similar to ECS? (keeps pounding your last known position?) Any other exciting new AI features you could share with us? :)
          The most dangerous thing on a battlefield is an officer with a map.

Comment

sounds fantastsic

Comment

Sounds amazing, i have been looking forward to this ever since i read dslyecxi's great ArmA manual all those months ago. Again, main question is When When When?!

Really like the sound of less deaths and more serious injuries, teams are really gonna have to be organised and on the ball to work this, which is perfect. Also the slogging round with big kits sounds brill, far more realistic, and if there are grab bags in case of having to bug out of a contact....WOW!

Cant wait, all the game needs now is the intro of some brit forces!;)

Comment

Originally posted by Vic View Post
                - How's the diagnosis part handled for the medic?
                Currently you get an "Examine" action for a person, upon using it you'll receive a hint that states what their status is. Are the conscious, are they bleeding (and if so, how heavily), do they have a pulse? Your treatment ends up being based on that, and you can triage people accordingly.

- Are ammo/bandage rucks still in, or you can find anything in the rucksack, ammo box stlyle?
                Rucks work seamlessly compared to WGL. The interface for them is integrated into the gear dialog - you click on the item you want, and you can either pack it into your rucksack, unpack it into your inventory, or drop it on the ground based on what button you click.

- Are smoke effects finally vis-blocking for AI? (if I remember well, in WGL at least smoke nades were; oh, and do they put up more smoke?)
                Yes. As to the volume, I think it's a bit more than default, but it may still be default (and if so, it will be tweaked accordingly).

I've read on BIS forum that you already have suppresive fire working both ways; how does AI use it? Similar to ECS? (keeps pounding your last known position?) Any other exciting new AI features you could share with us? :)
                Suppression is still being tweaked, I'm not sure what the final implementation will end up being. As to other AI features, those will have to wait until we're closer to release.

As to release, it shouldn't be too long before the first beta release. We aren't giving a specific date or timeframe, though.

Comment

wow! this sounds amazing! this could be for arma, what PR is to bf2! i cant wait :D

Comment

I have been waiting a year now for this, still waiting, and it should be good :D.
                    Before you judge a man, try walking a mile in their shoes first. That way your a mile away and you have their shoes.

Comment

1) does ACE have any plans to change any of the default sounds of arma?? if so, are you planning on incoporating any of the other sound mods such as FDF or Chammys?

2) does ACE have any plans to change the default AI? if so, will it be incoporating the progress in mods like ECS, etc?

NOTE: I ask these questions because although we do have some great sound and AI mods, not alot of servers run them and there is no standard as to which one they are running. Having one mod to set a new standard (ACE) would be quite a step up because that requires every server (and therefore every player) to run with simular settings. For example right now its nice to run a smoke effects mod, but youll actually be putting yourself at a disadvantage because other players will only see the default, tiny smoke cloud. Hoping ACE will remedy this as it will be the first client/server side mod with any kind of widespread public distribution.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzhead View Post
                        1) does ACE have any plans to change any of the default sounds of arma?? if so, are you planning on incoporating any of the other sound mods such as FDF or Chammys?
                        ACE has it's own sounds.

2) does ACE have any plans to change the default AI? if so, will it be incoporating the progress in mods like ECS, etc?
                        Yes, and I covered as much as I can about that in my previous reply. Further details will have to wait until closer to release, since things are constantly changing on that front.

Comment

I wonder if it would be possible to mod some of the weapons to give us a few more choices. Any plans for something like that? I know when I use a support weapon, I always find myself wanting an Aimpoint MPS3. At a distance, the iron sights take up a lot of the view and the bullets drop below the level of the barrel and you can't see where they are hitting without sweeping back and forth. An Aimpoint MPS3reddot would be an excellent addition and is very realistic since they are frequently added to support weapons in the military.

Comment

Whole stack of questions for you :)

As you can see, I am quite excited. Keep in mind, some of the things I ask might not be possible ... just would be nice to see.

1. What kinds (if any) of missions will come with ACE?

2. What kinds of infantry and vehicle classes will there be? ie: Rifleman, Automatic Rifleman, Automatic Rifleman Assistant, GPMG Gunner, GPMG Gunner Assistant, etc.

3. Will there be any special considerations needed to transform missions to be "ACE Compatible"?

4. Will the new "ArmA Island" feature predominantly enterable buildings? (might as well try to ask it hehe)

5. Any attempt at adding thermal imaging for various vehicles? Smokescreen launchers/generators? AA countermeasures?

6. What kinds and types of markers will be included? NATO, Warsaw Pact, Others?

7. Any plans for artillery (mortars, howitzers, missle/rocket)?

8. What kinds of man-portable heavy weapons are included? HMGs? TOWs/missle systems? Mortars?

9. Plans for claymores or other types of mines? Tripflares? Hand launched (no weapon needed) paraflares?

10. Any plans for IR weapon sights to be used with NVGs?

11. Any plans for flashlights for weapons/handheld (colour filters?)?

12. Is the item carrying system be changed at all? Can you carry more ammunition? What is the maximum you can carry? ie: 8 mags, 4 frags on a vest.

13. Any plans for a RTO, only allowing certain players to use certain radio channels?

14. Any plans to change reload speed based on type of reload? Dry reload vs. tac reload? Any plans to add 31 rounds total after a tac reload? (For certain weapons)

15. Any plans for animations for using compass/map/GPS/watch? (Anything would do heh)

Well ... I guess thats all for now. There will be more ;)

Comment

Well sounds like I get a whole new ArmA for free...
                              "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
                              'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X