Low Speed Maneuvers in Helo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Speed Maneuvers in Helo

I'm looking for help in my training. I'm having a hard time maneuvering the helo at low speeds. This includes landing the helo confidently and quickly. Does anyone have any tips or direction to somewhere that does? Should I use my joystick or just stick with the mouse?

I'd love to be able to sit behind the tree line and pop up to take out tanks. :)

Re: Low Speed Maneuvers in Helo

Are you using Auto-Hover? It's on the mouse-scroll option.

Turn on auto-hover and your helo will stop in place and not move left/right. You can easily land this way or pop-up over trees.

Comment

something I practiced alot when I first decided to become an ArmA pilot was to go to the parasio air base get an LB and a BH get in one of them at one end of the runway, and do rudder turns all the way down the centerline of the runway. once I got to the end I did them the opposite direction on the way back. do this with Both Helos and you should develop a great feel for the helo's capes at low speed. I trick I use is to use the Q and Z keys for my collective and the Joystick for the controls. If you catch me online sometime I can can show you the drills I practiced.

Comment

I do use the auto hover but I feel like I lose some mobility by using it. I'd like to be able to slow down and land without having to make myself a sitting duck with auto hover.

I'll keep an eye out for you jumpartist. It always helps to see someone else in action, other wise it's the blind leading the blind trying to teach myself.

Comment

i try rudder turns with helos, but it seems that over certain speeds they dont work...does anyone else get this? i seem to only be able to rudder turn when i go very slow.

Comment

It's very hard to stay still in a helo. The ADI isn't that helpful and as you probably know, just the slighest bit off and your helo starts moving. Grab a MH6 (the one with the rockets) as you get the aimdot on the front of the pit. If you're on flat ground you can position this on the horizon and your speed can stay constant or slow down (or increase, it really depends on where you position it). However, the gains will be small and easy to compensate for.

When you lift off, try and stay around 20m. Drop the nose to pick up speed and around 50 kmh put the aimdot on the horizon (perhaps a little above it) and watch what the speed does. Play around with forward movement until you are comfortable with how the pitch of the airframe affects the speed. Try different choppers as well to see how they handle.

Once your comfortable with foward flight, try some turns, trying to stay at 50kmh. Use bank, then rudder and then bank and rudder combined. At low speeds when you bank the aircraft you'll probably start moving in that direction. If you use the rudder, you'll point in a new direction whilst the chopper moves in it's original heading (so skidding the chopper). Note how these moves affect how the aircraft handles.

Lastly experiment with sideways flight and backwards flying. Tilt the chopper to the left and it will start moving in that direction. You need to keep the speed slow, otherwise the AC will eventually point in the direction you're moving. You want the aircraft to move in a direction, at slow speed, whilst keeping the nose in place.

Once you have practiced this you'll find that you'll instinctively come up with other maneouvers that are more complicated maneouvers to the ones you were practicing. If you get into any trouble, just increase the collective, get the AC under control and then descend back down to practice height.
            Jex.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd_Wiggler View Post
              i try rudder turns with helos, but it seems that over certain speeds they dont work...does anyone else get this? i seem to only be able to rudder turn when i go very slow.
              The rudder will only work up to a point. Once that point has been reached, the input from the rudder will be minimal.
              Jex.

Comment

thanx jex

Comment

In LBs to go from 250 to 50 in under 5 seconds I go over my target destination a little bit then tilt the heli so the people sitting on the sides(LB) are facing either the ground or staight up. I then pull up on the stick a bunch and re level it and quickly decend the final couple of meters to put the bird on the ground (im a keyboard flyer only, no mouse, no joystick, its been like that for everything, BF2 airplanes, helis, etc. etc.) The blackhawk you can do the same thing only alot harder to get used to.
                  "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
                  'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

I created a sp map last night with every flyable vehicle available. I spent a few hours leaving the airfield, flying to Pariaso, and flying back. When I returned, the heli had to be where it was when I first found it. By the end of the night, I was feeling fairly confident in my slow speed handling. It got to the point where I was able to taxi the heli back to its parking space.

Practice, practice, practice!!

Thanks for all the tips.

Comment

Originally posted by AirTransRanger View Post

That's your answer right there....no shortcut around it. Keep doing your self created sp missions...eventually you might want to add in some enemy ground fire after you feel more confident. That'll change your attitude and altitude mighty quickly.
                      sigpic
                      |TG-1st|Grunt
                      ARMA Admin (retired)
                      Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Originally posted by AirTransRanger View Post
                        I created a sp map last night with every flyable vehicle available. I spent a few hours leaving the airfield, flying to Pariaso, and flying back. When I returned, the heli had to be where it was when I first found it. By the end of the night, I was feeling fairly confident in my slow speed handling. It got to the point where I was able to taxi the heli back to its parking space.

Thanks for all the tips.
                        OK now grab a LB and at 5m above the ground, fly along the streets of Paraiso at slow speed (and do a few rooftop landing for good measure) ;)
                        Jex.

Comment

I had a chance to fly a training UH-60 simulator a year ago, and although the faster you get the smaller the percievable effect of the rudder is (due of course to increase drag on teh panels), its manevourability on the game is still under that of it in real life. But a pilot going at 100kh^-1 wouldn't exactly need to have the same amount of manerourability per metre that the rudder would give a pilot going slower, at that speed its all in the tilt. Not that I can fly well using my keyboard.
                          Before you judge a man, try walking a mile in their shoes first. That way your a mile away and you have their shoes.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X