REALLY COOL ADDONS, that we never see

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REALLY COOL ADDONS, that we never see

hey I guess thos question goes to BIGC. I know that Arma has some real neat things happening in the way of addons. But how is it possible to get these addons in game? For instance the new Countermeasures and some new Units liek say the ACU soldiers of BOSS. I knwo that others need to get an addon pack, is there a way to distribute such an addon pack if one were put together? I feel that the TG server is popular enough that this would be VERY possible. Anyway just throwing it out there. Good Games
    JumpArtist

Re: REALLY COOL ADDONS, that we never see

A chunk of TG's popularity comes from it being a public server that does not force any kind of addon pack on anyone. Putting together such a pack and requiring its use would likely hurt the server more than it would help, at least at this stage.

As to the countermeasures thing you're talking about, that can be scripted (in more depth than the addon form allows) in any mission without requiring any downloads at all. Model packs can be done clientside as well for those that simply must see something new.

Comment

Unfortunately there is no way to automaticallyu distro or sync addons in ArmA so any addons or mods that are allowed have to be carefully considered. The reasons why are summarized here: Modified .pbo Files

That being said if there is a particular addon or mod that is not currently allowed but you would like considered let us know and it can be considered.
      LoyalGuard

Comment

I am not anti MODs, I just want everybody to be able to connect and not have to worry about having to download something 1st.

That being said, I am also open to MODs that offer something extra to the game. If there is one that is really that good, I am all about putting it on one of the servers so everybody can enjoy it. But until lately, there has not been much decent that has come out from the community as a whole.
        "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

When you start adding mods to a server, when do you stop? Without the mod you can't join the server and where do you go to download the mod. Arma is probably catching up but in the OFP days, some missions required 6-8 mods that you had to somehow find and install - then of course you learn that the missions sucks donkey arse and you just wasted 2 hours.
          Jex.

Comment

Yeah I guess its going to have to wait for something like ACE, where it is highly enough regarded that everyone will automatically get it and it wont as big of an issue. I guess its just a little disheartening to see all these cool addons but never get them farther than the mission editor. I hope ArmA2 has a way of auto DLing addons but Im sure that will never happen.

Comment

I'd rather download and manage them myself. I don't want to download them automatically when I join a server. That'll end up filling my ArmA directory with junk.
              The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
              I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
              Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Yeah I think ACE is one of the only mods for ArmA right now that is viable in a public sense...

so far from what Ive read about ACE it is SO feature rich its going to really up the ante as how we all play ArmA. I think all these new intricacies and variables that players are going to have to learn are really going to add to the gameplay experience but the TG ArmA community is going to need to step up. There needs to be many more 'leader' types that frequent the server and can give guidance for the hordes of unwashed noobs that will be flooding into the server.

Presently TG is kinda like on the frontier for ArmA multiplayer at the moment and sometimes its very very ugly :P These new players are eager to play ArmA the way its meant to be played (and by that I mean NOT as an evo free-for-all rank whore or mindless berserk tard rush) and presently I think TG is really the ONLY public server that offers this. That means players who have literally just bought the game are joining the server and as such the first impressions of ArmA online will come from WHO IS CURRENTLY IN THE TG SERVER. That is prety critical when you think about it, as you are directly influencing the popularity of the game itself.

Just food for thought anyways, but my statement still stands that TG ArmA is severely lacking in leadership right now, due in part to the large growth that the server has gotten recently, and also to the fact that TG ArmA has moved on from the simple evo coop style gameplay.

Comment

Originally posted by loyalguard View Post
                  Unfortunately there is no way to automaticallyu distro or sync addons in ArmA so any addons or mods that are allowed have to be carefully considered.

That being said if there is a particular addon or mod that is not currently allowed but you would like considered let us know and it can be considered.
                  There is indeed no way to do so IN arma but there is a great way OUTSIDE arma. Just check my tool (google "yomatools arma"). If you want references go ask the players on Germany FUN server. We play with a multitude of addons that change all the time. Most players have my addonsync tool installed and download addons/launch with near to no problems at all. Those who don't use the tool just have a lot of work sorting it all out :-)

The downside is indeed that players need to install a separate tool in order to keep in sync with the server. This can reduce the playerbase and unfortunately arma's online playerbase is allready quite low.
                  A good idea may be to have an addon-enabled server and a "vanilla" server.

What i really wanted to say is that it's possible and it's allready a reality on some servers out there.

Comment

Thank you yoma for creating that tool it is indeed handy! Nice to see you, you should drop by the server some time :)

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzhead View Post
                      but my statement still stands that TG ArmA is severely lacking in leadership right now,
                      Fuzz,

You may or may not realise this, but those of us who do end up "having" to lead or do what we can to help try and lead TG ArmA into a new direction, might...just MIGHT take offence to the above comment.

BD1
                      BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

Originally posted by Blackdog1-22 Reg.SAS View Post
                        Fuzz,

You may or may not realise this, but those of us who do end up "having" to lead or do what we can to help try and lead TG ArmA into a new direction, might...just MIGHT take offence to the above comment.

BD1
                        The comment by Fuzzhead was posted six months ago (aka: half a year). It might be worth asking if he still feels that's the case.

Comment

Ahhhh dammit my bad! good spot Dsl, I would hope that things have changed slightly since then!

:D

What'd'ya think Fuzz?

BD1
                          BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

I dont think this is good place to make comments on the current status of TG ArmA server as it brings the thread way off topic and does not stick to the topic off hand (which is discussion about really "cool/unique" add ons that arent usually talked about). Also its not very visible, should really get its own topic for maximum visibility of TG members who actively play on the server but might not read all the little subforums that are around here.

If someone wants to make a "TG ArmA review" thread I will post in there... but to keep it short, yes things have changed quite a bit from 6 months ago, which was right about when you first started playing with us on the TG server blackdog. Actually alot of new faces were showing up in spring, many of them from PR community to check out ArmA after the new patch enabled working VoN, and it seemed TG was finally ready to move on from the Arcade / "Me First!" missions of evolution/domination to more sophisticated missions based on teamwork and tactics, to evolve the gameplay of ArmA to the next level, something IMO ArmA is much more suited to.

Yes alot has changed, but alot is still the same. If I had to sum things up I would say leadership has improved greatly but the progress has been very slow, almost needlessly so, and I believe progress has not been as properly facilitated by the TG admins as best as it could.

But I would not start conversation like that in this thread, really it should be a question asked to ALL TG players of ArmA server, not just mine.

questions like
                            "Describe your opinion on the current gameplay of the TG ArmA server."
                            "How does the gameplay of the TG ArmA server compare now to 6 months ago?"
                            "Does the current gameplay of the TG ArmA server live up to your expectations?"
                            "What has changed for the better? what has changed for the worse?"
                            "List some things YOU would like to see changed over the next couple of months."
                            "List some of the barriers and hurdles you think TG needs to overcome in order to meet those goals".
                            "Describe your opinion about the current admin staff of the TG ArmA server."
                            "How does the current admin staff of the TG ArmA server compare to the staff from 6 months ago?"

Those are the questions I would ask players if I was looking to evaluate the current status quo of the server. I think most of the TG members are mature enough to answer these questions honestly and it would probably be insightful and useful to improve things for the community and the admins alike.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X