Warfare Mode

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warfare Mode

For alack of a better term, this is basically a MOD or mission style. It has added a totally new feel and functionality to the game.

You are now responsible for capturing multiple cities, all along fighting AI. It is actually TvTvT. You are responsible for setting up supply lines, giving objectives, buying, building, etc.

Use this thread to write up anything related like thoughts, tactics, helpful walk through, screen shots, and the bugs.
    "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Re: Warfare Mode

After playing for a few hours I noticed a couple things that are annoying.

1. When people join, it literally halts the server. I will work on that part with the server resources.

2. After completion of a mission, we got "teleported" to a totally odd location that really messed us up. The solution was to hit the "esc" and then hit the "respawn" option. It is a lame fix though.

3. Got a couple error messages when controlling my units. I would give them a mission to capture the nearest town and garbled messages would come up on the top of the screen.

4. Commander voting. That got all screwed up. People have understand that everybody has to vote in a commander. If not, no progress towards building can happen. You are only screwing your team over in the long run.

5. Read the damn PDF file. BI finally gave us some documentation, so read it for 5 minutes. This is not like CoOp where you can just jump in a learn what is happening on the fly. You may understand the player controls, but without knowing the new controls for this, you will be lost. Manual Link

Overall it is still just plain awesome. The bugs and observations cannot ruin this in my opinion.
    "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

I think we'll need to institute some of the same SOP's as on the BF2 servers for this, specifically, commanders need to be commanding, not out at the pointy end.
      BarnacleofDoom

One shot - One miss!

Comment

The commander literally has to almost stay at the main base. Without it, noting gets built...

Comment

It was mentioned elsewhere by Ednos also but we really need to encourage/enforce the use of comms. It always was important but it seems even more so now, with co-ordination the key. Early evening GMT last night it was like lone wolf heaven, nothing got done, very little co-ordination despite the best efforst of some TG players. It was compounded by the problems of appointing a CO.

It wasn't until late on when the server was password protected that there was some semblance of order. Comms was significantly effected by the lag (but hopefully that will be resolved) where one minute you were next to person and the next they were some 40 metres away and your left chatting to yourself!!

It's got a lot of potential with the TG touch.

Nil Desperandum Auspice Deo

Comment

BigC, Magnum and I were testing this out earlier. Having played CTI in the OFP days there are definite similarities. A few tips for playing

- Because you need supply trucks, take towns closest to your base first. If you skip a town you may find your supply trucks have to go through an enemy town and thus get destroyed.

- If you play only on one side, the AI will play on the other side. Magnum, BigC and I were having to fend off waves of enemy attacks.

- I would suggest that the base commander just commands the base and a field commander is chosen. There can be times when the base commander is going to be under considerable pressure and the players out on the field will probably have a better understanding of how they want to do things.

Bugs:

- Magnum left after a while leaving BigC and I to carry on. Magnum was in the top slot and I was in the third one. At some point I just stopped receiving funds and always had 0. I went back to the lobby and joined in the same slot again but still no joy. I then moved into where magnum had been playing and it looks like I had the funds he had when he left. Later on, Bamboo joined in on the 3rd slot and he wasn't getting any funds either.

- AI slots - I started my own game to test this out as I saw it on the server. If you leave the AI on they come under the control of the base commander. They are a useful asset because they can be set to guard towns you have taken. However, I noticed that when they start buying themselves AI, it seems that only 3 of them follow the leader and you then have a load of AI running around the base leaderless. I set my AI to go and capture bunkers and each one only had 3 soldiers with them when they should have had 12.
            Jex.

Comment

Just FYI... I posted a number of screens and walkthroughs (opinions) as commander in the screenshot forum... including that bug screen Big C.

Feel free to move it here or whatever works for you... it is a nice mode of play, with the right team and commander. ;)
              Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

The airport part is kinda lame, but in reality it is almost non issue if played properly. The Airport becomes a key base, since it is the only place a plane can be constructed at. That being said, let someone build a plane and fly over my base, there goes 10k in a flash. Simple ADA will level the playing field for that part.

That goes to a whole other topic. The base. I played last night and the main reason I was so successful in completing the mission was the base location and defenses. On the surface this mission looks like a free of just capturing bases. On the contrary. it is more about who can keep the money flowing and who can defend their cities. Be in a offensive mindset and you will capture a few cities quickly, but notice how hard it will be to keep and defend. You have to really be cognizant of where you are and how can you be attacked, at all times. If someone can assault your base by any means and wipe you out in a single stroke, you deserved it!!! There is much more to this mission then finding and neutralizing the enemies base. You cannot build enough resources to make that kind of assault until afer you have fought it out in several cities.

Another key to victory is the proper economy of forces. Leader/Commanders have to be ever so vigilant in giving orders to their teams. If you are not constantly up on the directions, things will fall apart quickly. I found that out the hard way earlier in the day. One example of this will be using the "Capture Town" command. If given, the AI will rush the main base in a city and then quickly capture. Then they immediately move to the next uncaptured town, leaving the city you just captured unguarded. BTW, the AI is no joke in this mission. With whatever they did to the AI, the two other sides in this game are really good. They are doing all kinds of unexpected things like flanking, assaults, and actually using some tactics. It definitely added a new level to the game.

People that are playing there are some really important things to remember in this game. Money ≠ Supplies. They are totally separate. Supplies are the things earned from convoys going back and forth from the base to the cities. Money is earned by killing, salvaging or capturing. Building plants cost supplies, building vehicles costs money. For some reason people can't understand that. Plus, as a team member, why do people insist on keeping the money they earn? Give it to your Commander to buy things for you. Maybe you need a better gun or something, but the Commander needs to build it usually at the base. The exception to this is maybe a fighting position forward at a newly captured base. Hording money only hurts your TEAM!!

Now for the Commander. This person is everything. They need to either be literally be at the base or very close to it. The Commander's job is not sexy, they will not get all the kills that the rest of the team members will get. Nor will they earn all the money from kills like people forward. Again, see paragraph above of what to do with your money. But the commander needs to focus on movement of forces, construction projects and building assets. The forward teams need not worry about he overall objective at times, just their little piece of the pie. The Commander needs to possibly balance 8-16 independent teams and the base as well as all the cities under their control. It is a challenge, but a few of you here are up to it.

This mission is actually one of the best I have seen since OFP and even better that it is totally random. It will add to its longevity and popularity. If you have not experienced it, you should. It will make you finally fell better about the wait for the patch that came along with it.

Comment

Do we have a conclusion yet on Mods and Warfare compatibility? I'm seeing a lot of crashes to desktop on servers and a handful of servers are running Vanilla-Only games.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X