Calling a fire mission in Warfare?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling a fire mission in Warfare?

I tried using artillery today with no luck... according to the instruction manual...

"at camps and your main base you can purchase artillery pieces using the construction menu. If you order your subordinates to man these guns, you can use the fire support function found under the mission tab in the T menu.
    first use the set button to desinate a location for a fire mission on the map. Then adjust the dispersion of the incoming rounds using the slider. Finally press request fire mission button to have all guns in range commence their firing. Obviously manning more guns in range will result in more firepower on target. NOTE that targets must be 1000m from your artillery to call a fire mission on them."

OK, when I built the artillery they were already manned... when I conducted a fire mission, as prescribed, I got a "you either don't have artillery or it's reloading".

Anyone get this working yet? I WANT ARTILLERY lol.
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Re: Calling a fire mission in Warfare?

I saw the option, but I have not seen it work. I have seen commanders have the teams setup. It could be part of the laundry list of bugs. It would be very nice to get a position shelled prior to the assault. With defenses setup around the camps, it would be much easier to get foot holds with effective fire missions and fast movers to place troops.
    |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

I tried several things on this one. The last thing to try is to actually buy the arty, than put one of my squad members into it. Half the time when i tried it, it came with someone already in it.

I will check it out around 3PM today, I am really excited to see it work, possibly...
      "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Someone over at SimHQ said they had to put 2 or 3 of there men into it then it worked...will check it myself later today...

also learned some tactical tips...which could possible ruin the game, I don't know yet...

1. Only one side can have fast movers and thats only the team that captures the airport in the North.

2. You can destroy the enemies supply trucks and the other side will get very little to build on. (so maybe a covert team sent in to ambush the trucks, then hide and wait for more.)

3. If you destroy the enemy HQ vehicle, the game is over. (so if someone locates there base, and you can hit it with either artillery or a air attack, this could be over ASAP).

all good tactics, but can be exploited and ruined by certain gamers.
        Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

Definately possible, I think you need an AI in the GUNNER position (that's why it might have worked when you jammed more into it, as there are some "useless" positions).

First time I played (on TG Server 1), there was 32 players ... apart from the OMGZ-mass confusion, I came across a 8-gun arty battery, as I was meandering through it, they started firing at presumably nothing. Scared the *&^# out of me.

The mission is fun and all ... but ... it has the same problem that 95% of other TvT missions suffer from: there's no one to fight ...

There are 32 players. 16 per side. There are 10 or so towns. You generally never see more than 4 players in one area, actually fighting. And if they "know what they are doing" they will have 4 tanks with them. It has promise for a "Command and Conquer" RTS style of gameplay, but for actually player versus player fighting ... not really.

I hope this mission isn't the only TvT that is played, as it leaves out the best part of TvT IMO (not to mention it lags to hell every time someone joins).

Comment

I could agree at the beginning of the mission, but were I think WARFARE shines is once your in it, once you have that thousand yard stare, once you've been in the... you get my point, lol...

Once you have air, you can send up scout birds, you can direct fireteams to ambush supply lines, and if you find the enemy HQ, you can air drop a team or two behind enemy lines have them move up and see if they can get the quick win with a satchel charge, depends on how well the base is being defended. ;)

It gets better in the second half. ;)
            Magnum |TG-18th|

Comment

Apparently there's an exploit with the Arty Magnum. I was reading about it over at BIS but it seems that many players need to have arty and fire it within 30 seconds or something to get funds - something I don't see happening here.

With regards to the other queries, I think that a good location of the base is important - basically keep it hidden as much as possible.

The airport could be tricky because once you know where the other base is, all you need is one guy with a laser designator and 6 gbu's and I would think that any base would pretty much be wiped out.
              Jex.

Comment

I have had no problem with artillery use. Just get the commander to buy one or more artillery pieces and then spawn your own crewmen to man them ( use the mount command ). If the artillery spawns with a crewman already and you cant get him off you can always just shoot him. Once you have artillery manned u can call artillery strikes anywhere further then 1000m from the artillery. The more artillery pieces u have manned the more shells that will land within the targeted area.

I hope this has helped.

Comment

I already posted on Magnum's screen shot thread but here's a little redundancy.

Don't necessarily have to have your guys in the gunner seat. I was playing as commander and at my HQ I had three artillery pieces. 2 were manned with 2 troops of my own each. The third had an AI controlled soldier at the gunner seat, he snuck in and two of my soldiers assisting him. When I called in an artillery barrage, all three fired.

The only problem I am having now is rearming the guns. I've pulled up an ammo truck and ordered the artillery pieces to rearm but nothing happens.

Comment

Anytime a camp is captured anybody can build defensive structures around that camp including artillery. The main thing is you have to have your AI s manning not anybody else's AI. in HQ there are bunch of AI s that come with the HQ and they man every defense structure that is built in and around the HQ.

Also if you buy a Repair truck you can also build defensive structures anywhere around the repair truck... It is useful to set up choke points or forward hard points, or AA guns that is deployed forward, hidden arty cluster.

I never had problem with Arty usage. Always worked. Just make sure your AI is in there, gunner seat... Also if you build Arty from a city camp it is half the cost.

As for rearming... There is almost no way. I think setting up new set of arties is better solution since I heard rumors about they being bugged.

It takes a lot of time but I wish more people start using AI s to at least set up defense in the cities, Man Arties for their usage or for everybody's usage. Fast Travel is one of the best things. Capture a city, Fast travel to base, recruit a couple of AI s, they Fast travel with you when they are close to you, Go back to that city, place one or two in and around the city as defense. Do the same for the next city.

Comment

could someone who successfully has used the artillery maybe do a fraps capture or something, so we can see how it's done?
                      Magnum |TG-18th|

Comment

Working on it I'm putting a vid I did for fun through virtual dub now.
                        Basically all I did was have my guys man the back seat position. Problem is trying to rearm the guns they despawned once and I lost the men that were sitting on the guns.

And here it is. Like I said my guys mounted the guns in the back seat position and that allows me to control the gun as far as getting a fire mission going.

http://www.vimeo.com/1059956
                        Last edited by JRCOBRA; 05-24-2008, 11:42 AM. Reason: Added video link
                        "Gentlemen you can't fight in here this is the war room!"

Comment

I have gotten the guns to rearm once I had to park the ammo truck REAL close to it and sit on the gun so that I could see the rearming text show up on the screen and wait for it to vanish before moving on with the others.
                          Last edited by JRCOBRA; 05-24-2008, 12:32 PM.
                          "Gentlemen you can't fight in here this is the war room!"

Comment

thx Cobra...nice vid.
                            Magnum |TG-18th|

Comment

My experience with getting AI to do my bidding is to baby them.. seriously... baby steps.

It may be that one of your AI needs to be in the "gunners seat" for you to control the "piece"... and to rearm any weapon, a player must do it.. it wont work for AI.. same with refueling of some vehicles... Remember though, I have not played in months... I used AI for many tasks, but many had to be done by me.(but they are excellent drivers :/ )

Unfortunately , this also means if you are giving orders, and you accidentally click on a friendly, the AI targets then kills the friendly.

edit: COBRA.. +rep on the videos.. and yes, singing into a fire fight usually ends in quick death, sometimes by friendly fire :P
                              Last edited by ANGELofDEATH; 05-24-2008, 01:36 PM.
                              theeANGELofDEATH(Steam/Origin)
                              E Pluribus Unum
                              Sarcasm is just another free service I offer
                              Si vis pacem, para bellum .. Molon Labe

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed