Discussion/Help: Operation Deliberate Warfare

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussion/Help: Operation Deliberate Warfare

I'm currently writing up in notepad the general plans I have in mind for a series of missions in a campaign called "Operation Deliberate Warfare", modeled after the well-known NATO bombing campaign of Kosovo in Operation Deliberate Force.

Since many Co-operative missions are heavily focused on helicopter CAS and infantry warfare, I'm brainstorming on this to do away with Helo CAS and integrate infantry with other elements that are available in ArmA. Also, to increase realism, there will be an extremely low anti-air count on the enemy side, since in reality Strelas are unreliable, and Shilkas are increasingly rare in today's world. (Real reason: I'm sick of being knocked down by a strela 100% of the time. :P)

It will be a focus on the use of heavy equipment at certain junctures (ie. when it's needed), rather than haphazardly using armor, aircraft, etc like you would see in a lot of Evo/Domination/Warfare servers. A list of combat tactics I have in mind for the campaign missions:

The use of Abrams Tanks in conjunction with Infantry in urban CQB situations.

The use of precision strike and tankbuster aircraft in interdiction and CAS duties.

The use of multinational task force coordination between BLUFOR and RACS.

The use of area-denial resources such as landmines.

Basically, the scenario for the overall campaign is that BLUFOR and RACS has to work together in order to achieve the campaign's early mission objectives. It's actually loosely based on the Iraqi Army's development under the United States military. Here is a list of general missions, in chronological order, that I have in mind. Also, losses in the preceding mission (vehicles, armor, etc) will carry over into the next mission, placing a greater emphasis on survival and caution in a battelfield. As each mission is completed, depending on the objectives achieved and the losses sustained, RACS/BLU will receive new equipment. (Low loss rate = more vehicles earned)

Also, it is possible that I will consider adding popular modifications to the campaign's resource set, such as the M1A1 HA by Mateck, and the F/A-18 Hornet as an alternative to the Harrier. Additionally, if there are any bomber craft that is capable of doing carpetbombing, I will consider those for addition. Also, a modification adding a UAV is very possible, since there will be missions that are RACS-only, and having an UAV providing reconnaisance will be important in those missions.

Mission 1) Flashpoint: Code Juno
    Overview: The SLA have launched a surprise attack, capturing Corazol and Ortego in a bold daylight assault. The RACS and the United States Marine Corps must defend Paraiso and Dolores against a two-pronged attack at night. The defenders have approximately one hour to have all defenses in place before nightfall.

Objectives:
    A) Defend Paraiso and Dolores for 5 hours.
    B) Optional: Destroy North Bridge of Corazol.

Opposition:
    SLA T72s, BMP-2s and BRDMs, entire platoons of standard infantry.

USMC Heavy Assets
    M1A1 Abrams (1x)
    Stryker ICV (3x)
    Blackhawk MG (1x, 2nd BH as auxiliary)

RACS Heavy Assets
    T72 RACS (2x)

Additional Assets
    150 Landmines in USMC and RACS Armory.

Rewards for Minimal to No Casualties
    +1 T72 RACS
    +1 M1A1 Abrams
    +2 Stryker ICV M2

Rewards for Heavy Casualties
    +1 T72 RACS

Mission 2) Flashpoint: Code Ishtar
    Overview: The SLA's assault on Paraiso and Dolores have been repulsed. NATO Command has given the go-ahead to initiate an operation to retake Ortego and suppress the entrenched SLA at Corazol.

Opposition:
    SLA T72s, BMP-2s, Shilkas, light and heavy infantry.

Objectives:
    A) Capture Ortego.
    B) Suppress Reinforcements from Corazol.
    C) Optional: Eliminate Anti-Air Assets in West Corazol.

Default USMC Heavy Assets
    M1A1 Abrams (2x)
    Stryker ICV (4x)
    AV8B Harrier (1x)

Default RACS Heavy Assets
    T72 RACS (3x)

Additional Assets
    2x Javelins added to USMC Armory.

+1 A10 Thunderbolt II

No Rewards.

Mission 3) Operation: Deliberate Warfare I
    Overview: Ortego has been retaken and the SLA at Corazol have dug in deep. NATO has formed a plan to push the SLA out of Corazol and the towns surrounding Corazol through a concentrated bombing campaign. RACS will be responsible for maintaining security of Corazol and artillery support after this mission.

Opposition:
    SLA T72s, BMP-2s, light and heavy infantry.

Objectives:
    A) Capture and Hold Corazol for 5 hours.
    B) Bomb military targets.
    C) Optional: Suppress Reinforcements from the north.

M1A1 Abrams (2x)
    Stryker ICV (4x)
    AV8B Harrier (2x)
    A10 Thunderbolt II (1x)

T72 RACS (2x)

Additional Assets
    6x Laser Designators added to USMC and RACS Armory.

+2 M1A1 Abrams

No Rewards.

Mission 4) Operation: Deliberate Warfare II
    Overview: The RACS is bound by its obligation to not intrude on the northern territory, so they are unable to provide armored support, halving the joint force's armor strength. They, however, will provide artillery support. This stage of the operation focuses on capturing Obregan and the south coastal towns of the North.

Opposition:
    SLA T72s, BMP-2s, light and heavy infantry.

Objectives:
    A) Primary: Capture Obregan. Secondary: Capture south coastal towns.
    B) Unknown

M1A1 Abrams (4x)
    Stryker ICV (4x)
    AV8B Harrier (2x)
    A10 Thunderbolt II (1x)

None.

Additional Assets
    10x Artillery under RACS command

1x M1A1 Abrams (Replacement only)

No Rewards.

Mission 5) Operation: Deliberate Warfare III - Battle of Bagango
    Overview: After some major political jousting, NATO has convinced RACS to be more involved with the operation. They are sending two T72s and a squad to Obregan. This is now an intensive ground offensive, the objective is Bagango. The SLA opposing us have mobilized their KA-50 Attack Helicopters.

Opposition:
    SLA T72s, BMP-2s, KA-50s, light and heavy infantry.

Objectives:
    A) Primary: Capture Bagango. Secondary: Capture Mercalillo.
    B) Unknown

M1A1 Abrams (3x)
    Stryker ICV (2x)
    AV8B Harrier (1x)
    A10 Thunderbolt II (1x)

2x T72 RACS

Additional Assets
    2x Stinger Launchers added to USMC Armory.

1x M1A1 Abrams (Replacement only)
    1x T72 RACS (Replacement only)

No Rewards.

Mission 6) Operation: Deliberate Warfare IV - Leading Royals
    Overview: The RACS has become more bold in taking the initiative at this point in the operation. They have taken the opportunity to lead a mission in this NATO operation. This mission will focus on the capture of the west coastal towns of the North, establishing a foothold for a future mission. Opposition is varied.

Opposition:
    Unknown

Objectives:
    A) Primary: Capture West Coastal Towns, including Carmen.
    B) Unknown
    C) Optional: Suppress Reinforcements from the SLA.

M1A1 Abrams (1x)
    Hummvee MG (3x)
    AV8B Harrier (1x)

T72 RACS (4x)
    M113 RACS (3x)

Additional Assets
    1x Javelin Launcher added to RACS Armory.

1x M1A1 Abrams/T72 RACS (Replacement only)
    1x Harrier RACS

No Rewards.

Mission 7) Operation: Deliberate Warfare V - Royal Blood
    Overview: After proving themselves, the RACS has been given full responsibility of the planned special operations mission to locate and eliminate one of the leading generals of the SLA headquartered deep in the mountains. He is located at a major tank depot where a large number of tanks awaiting repairs or activation are stationed.

Opposition:
    Unknown

Objectives
    A) Primary- Eliminate General of the SLA.
    B) Unknown
    C) Optional: Destroy Tank Depot

No Heavy Assets

AV8B Harrier (1x)
    Mi17 RACS (1x)

Additional Assets
    1x Laser Designator

Unknown.

Unknown.

Mission 8) Operation: Deliberate Warfare VI - Joint Strike
    Overview: With the removal of one of the commanding generals of the SLA, their forces have become considerably disjointed. This mission is a single large operation aimed at breaking the SLA's logistical and command systems. The RACS have taken over air support responsibilities.

Opposition:
    Unknown - High Saturation of Enemy Presence

Objectives
    A) Assault Military Targets on the North Coastline.
    B) Unknown
    C) Optional: Destroy enemy radio communications and transport infrastructure.

3x M1A1 Abrams
    2x Stryker ICV

1x AV8B Harrier
    3x T72 RACS
    1x Mi17 RACS

Additional Assets
    Armory Fully Unlocked.

Unknown.

Unknown.

Mission 9) Operation: Deliberate Warfare VII - Cleanup
    Overview: The SLA is now largely shattered, with fragments of the enemy scattered across the northern half of their former territory.

Opposition:
    Unknown - Low Saturation of Enemy Presence

Objectives
    A) Clean up scattered enemy holdouts.
    B) Unknown
    C) Optional: Unknown

2x M1A1 Abrams
    1x Stryker ICV

1x AV8B Harrier
    2x T72 RACS
    1x M113 RACS

Additional Assets
    Armory Fully Unlocked.

Unknown.

Unknown.

Mission 10) Flashpoint: Specter of the Past
    Overview: Insurgencies have begun to show a more cohesive unity three months after the conclusion of Operation: Deliberate Warfare. This is highly unusual as it suggests that there is a strong leadership coordinating the insurgents. This is an RACS operation with USMC support. The threat is unknown.

Opposition:
    Unknown - High Insurgent Threat

Objectives
    A) Investigate the Insurgents while cleaning up the cities.
    B) Unknown
    C) Optional: Unknown

1x M1A1 Abrams
    1x Stryker ICV

1x AV8B Harrier
    2x Mi17 RACS

Additional Assets
    Armory Fully Unlocked.

Unknown.

Unknown.

I'd like to ask for help in building these scenarios since my knowledge in scripting is virtually zero. I can, however, help lay out the missions' templates and equipment loadouts, and so on. This campaign, I imagine, would be ideal to be tackled one mission at a time each weekend. Also, suggestions and ideas for tweaking and mods are also appreciated, since I would like to make this one of the best campaigns for TG.

-NK
    Hey guys, this is a public service announcement from NKato. I am Deaf, so when the helo goes down, you're best off typing "AAAAAAAAIIIEEEEE!!!" instead of attempting to scream it. Thanks!

Re: Discussion/Help: Operation Deliberate Warfare

Here is a list of mods I am considering for some or all missions in this campaign:

Beriev Be-32k Bomber - This aircraft would probably be used by RACS in the bombing campaign.

M1A1 HA - The NATO scheme would be used for all M1A1's in the entire campaign.

F/A-18 Super Hornet - A possible replacement for the Harrier, for the sake of variety in the mission. Since this mod also has aerial refueling for two Hornets (one with a buddy pod), this would provide a new dimension to aerial operations in Deliberate Warfare. It also has other facilities such as laser designation and sensor suites to scan for incoming threats.

F22A Raptor - Another candidate as the Harrier's replacement in this campaign. It looks very crisp and slick, and I feel that it would be a very interesting thing to have in the missions. The tradeoff is that it seems to be a lot less functional when compared to the Super Hornet above.

RQ-1 Predator UAV - Useful for missions 6-10 as a reconnaissance drone. In fact, this aircraft might even replace the Harrier as an observation/interdiction platform with its Hellfire and bomb ordnance. Let me know what you think.

Jonny Marines - Recently updated, it looks very crisp, and would be a good change of pace from your usual BIS outfits.

Any other mod suggestions, and feedback are welcomed.
    Hey guys, this is a public service announcement from NKato. I am Deaf, so when the helo goes down, you're best off typing "AAAAAAAAIIIEEEEE!!!" instead of attempting to scream it. Thanks!

Comment

In reality the Beriev BE32 is a transport plane not a bomber, but I think it was tweaked for Arma to drop 9 bombs for the SLA.

It looks a interesting but a little long! Suspect peple may lose interest?
      BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

I'm curious how this would play? As Blackdog stated the length is questionable.

The 5 hour defense paramiter for the first mission is a bit much unless that is not to scale?

If equipment is persistant what happens to the balance of a mission if either the allies have 6-8 tanks or no tanks, would the mission become futile or extra easy because of this? Or would the opfor's equipment adjust as needed?

Overall I think you have a flair for designing a good campaign. I like the fact that equipment is persistant somewhat. This could be really good but again I'm unsure how you would set this up and play it all the way through?

Comment

Originally posted by Blackdog1-22 Reg.SAS View Post
          In reality the Beriev BE32 is a transport plane not a bomber, but I think it was tweaked for Arma to drop 9 bombs for the SLA.

It looks a interesting but a little long! Suspect peple may lose interest?
          Not when each mission is actually a separate file - they will be likely hosted at the TG server as a weekend event, one mission each weekend or something to that effect.

About the Beriev BE-32, yes, you are correct, but I could not find any addons for ArmA that are dedicated bombers.

About the length of the missions, 5 hours, to me, is reasonable for a weekend event. Especially when you're defending against wave after wave of enemies. It's intended to really push the capabilities of TG to the limit.

Comment

Originally posted by Long Bow View Post
            I'm curious how this would play? As Blackdog stated the length is questionable.

The 5 hour defense paramiter for the first mission is a bit much unless that is not to scale?
            As stated in my previous reply to Blackdog, the mission is intended to push the limits of what TG can accomplish in a weekend event. The first two Flashpoint: Code missions are expected to last at the very most, only 5 to 6 hours if you include preparation time.

Edit: Also! There will be additional bonus objectives that will update itself to the mission after certain requisites are met (time elapsed, number of targets eliminated, etc), but I won't say what they are because that would be a spoiler. Hence why Flashpoint: Specter of the Past and some other missions do not have detailed secondary and tertiary objectives.

Overall I think you have a flair for designing a good campaign. I like the fact that equipment is persistant somewhat. This could be really good but again I'm unsure how you would set this up and play it all the way through?
            Each mission is a separate scenario mission, not a consistent scripted campaign mission throughout - this enables hosting each mission as a separate weekend event.

As an additional note, I may end up ditching the aircraft provision and replace them with the MQ-1 Predator, since the UAV can stay airborne for hours (unlike the Harrier) and be able to provide recon, interdiction and close air support for all of the missions in the campaign. Because the Predator has a very limited arsenal, by making this design choice I would be able to make it aware to all players that CAS with the Predator is an especially discretionary choice and cannot be decided very easily.

Edit: Forgot to answer this question.

If equipment is persistant what happens to the balance of a mission if either the allies have 6-8 tanks or no tanks, would the mission become futile or extra easy because of this? Or would the opfor's equipment adjust as needed?
            I can't say anything other than that each mission will be balanced according to the results of the previous mission. Rest assured, it will be fun and challenging.

By the way, to make it easier with less sitting around waiting after you get shot, these missions will have medic revive (to reduce casualties) and the respawn will be, as a deterrent to poor combat decisions, located at the main base in South Sahrani with humvees that respawn after being left unmanned after a certain amount of time.
            Last edited by NKato; 07-15-2008, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the replies NKato.

That seems to make more sense to me now that you have explained it.

I like that each mission could be "persistant" without being constant. Like you said plan a weekend event for each one, very nice concept. Second please be sure to keep some secrets and plot twists under your hat, lovely idea you have there with not revealing to much :row__572:

The only thing I would be warry of is the 5-6 hours. I know once we get on the server and in game we can loose track of time and easily put in the 5-6 hours. However allot of times people can only commit to 2-4 hours. I would be carefull not to extend the mission time to a point that 2/3's of it gets played out and then the player count drops off to a point where your under manned. I guess you will have to play with the settings to find the right balance?

Overall I like where your going with this :)

Comment

I can work on the mission templates, but I would need to find someone else who would be willing to script the missions themselves for me.

See, I work a lot during the week on my comic book project (yes, I actually am trying to make money), and I don't have the time to devote to learning something completely brand new. However, I would expect this project to take a long time since I have some interesting concepts in mind that I want to test!

For example, one of the missions will involve attacking Bagango, right? Well, it might be a night operation, and with SIX_Tracers, it will be one of the most awesome scenes to see. Tracers crisscrossing the night sky as explosions echo in the distance.

This would be achieved by setting up MG nests around a given perimeter, and have two MGs located in each - one that is actually for shooting at real enemy targets, and the second MG would be scripted to shoot at random (or invisible) targets located along a 100-yard radius of the MGs.

Basically, the objective is to increase the visual ambience, but not so much that players become so enamored that they wander into the line of fire. :P

Edit: Also, I need to find a large JPEG or PNG image map of Sahrani in "Terrain Display" mode, so I can start roughdrafting the mission's parameters on it. If anyone can find that for me I'd appreciate it.
                Last edited by NKato; 07-16-2008, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X