"TG" version of Domination?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "TG" version of Domination?

Thought I might start a discussion about whether TG should look into creating a modified version of Domination or not.

I understand that TheBigC modified the Mando variant of Domination to remove the random spawning Shilkas, and I was wondering if there was any other changes that people might want?

Personally, I would like to see less armoured vehicles and more infantry. I was thinking of a method (Jex proposed it a while back) that would have more and more armour (and infantry) be spawned depending on the number of players currently playing. It would (as far as the idea I am thinking of) however only check when the next main mission is checked, so if there are 20 people on one night, it will spawn the according amount of vehicles. However, if you go on the next day with 2 people, you will have to fight the equivalent of 20 players amount of enemy forces.

I was thinking that I would keep the side missions as they are, so you can still play with a low amount of people.

A simple ratio of 1 tank, 1 BMP for every 5 players might work. Start at a base of 1 T72, 2 BMPs. So, if 20 players are playing, there would be 4 T72s and 5 BMPs. I would also like to increase the number of infantry squads to a number between 3 and 10 (depending on player count again), perhaps for every 3 players add another squad, starting with a base of 3. So, again, for 20 players you would have 9 infantry squads.

I'm just making up numbers here, they don't HAVE to be these, they are just an example, the idea of enemy forces tailored to player count is what I'm interested in.

Also, for the Mando missiles variant, I was thinking that a different method of 'random' spawned Shilkas should be used. Evolution did it very well IMO, they are placed in the editor with a placement radius of a few KM. Then, once the island has it's AA defense, remove ALL Shilkas from spawning at side/main missions. So, once you clear the island of AA, you can move around freely, BUT you have to find them first.

Perhaps there could be MAYBE one Shilka spawning at the main missions, just to keep it interesting.

Thoughts?

Re: "TG" version of Domination?

I think if we work those numbers we can really achieve a better domination mission. I feel the same about the balance between armour and infantry in domination, it has too much armour.

It would be great also to add some patrols around the towns (as someone already said in another topic), and put some static defences around the antennas (i think it's too easy to destroy them, after you kill all the armour).
    sigpic

PR BF2 Alias: NewOrder_JoyDivision

Comment

I dont have anything to add to that. I too agree there's way too much armour and too little infantry.

Comment

Yea I would love to see a version of domination for TG. I like what youve said so far but would like to include that MH-6 Littlebirds are included at the start for transporting small teams and also have normal hmmwv etc. Noone of these seem to unlock and the only type of transport is the blackhawk which isnt always the best for dropping of troops into small areas. Also if it's a TG version maybe think about a different version of respawn, don't really know what we could use but just throwing the idea out there.

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
        So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

Changing out a Blackhawk for a MH6 should be fairly easy. The respawn script may take some more work to edit...
          "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigC View Post
            Changing out a Blackhawk for a MH6 should be fairly easy. The respawn script may take some more work to edit...
            Turok's latest version of Domination already does this.

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bi...74319;hl=turok
            Last edited by Brewski; 07-24-2008, 08:10 AM. Reason: linky

Comment

Originally posted by JAMerica View Post
              Turok's latest version of Domination already does this.

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bi...74319;hl=turok
              We played his missions here a couple times and they were all very buggy. I will not load his stuff up again for a while. It is night and day between the way Xeno and him have their mission scripts running. The new Domination is due out any time, but until then we can tweak some more stuff.

He (Turok) should spend half as much time promoting his version and actually producing a solid product....
              "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Good stuff Beta, at times when your only 4-5 people playing it feels your going against the whole world. If possible changing the mission objective strength compared to players on the server sounds like a great idea.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigC View Post
                  He (Turok) should spend half as much time promoting his version and actually producing a solid product....
                  LOL, yeah, I just figured you could rip-off what he did to add the MH-6's, although that shouldn't be difficult anyways.

Comment

I like the direction your heading Beita :row__577: I agree that we have an over abundance of armour and a lack of infantry.

If the mission could scale with player count that would be nice but if it's difficult to script I could live without it.

I would like to see more infantry squads in the outlying areas of a town not just patroling streets and courtyards. Also the last few times I have played Dom I havent seen any troops para drop in to re-enforce, something that happened more often in the past, no? The one thing I think is lacking for enemy infantry is controll of the high ground. Most cities we attack have a really nice hill to pearch on and open fire from. Logically the enemy should have at least a squad up there or the perimeter of the "city" should include part of these hills to allow the chance for enemy to be there. We have it easy most times to just set up shop on the poor SOB's :row__572:

I agree that the radio tower needs to have some sandbags and an MG nest or two on it. Make it a tough nut to crack.

I do love the side mission so I would leave them as is.

I'm enjoying Dom allot but do see there is room for improvment. I would say a more infantry based approach suits TG ArmA.

Comment

I was just thinking about when EI are defending towns they just seem to stand where they spawn. Don't really move around until someone blows something up. I know warfare had the option to place AI squads on Patrols etc, Could we place this in domination so some EI patrols the town while others 'defend' Also I like the idea of adding an MG nest or something, If these guys are defending a town they really should have better defence

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
                      So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

We were also talking last night about how awesome it would be to have actual squads or fireteams instead of just the long list to join. So guys could run a squad with like an engi, medic, AT, etc.

And is there any way to limit kits? I ask this because as a bunch of us play this over and over, you know we are going to be looking for more of a challenge. So have like a hard core version where if you run as a squad you will do a lot better. Instead of having 5 guys with the m24 and 5 guys with Javlin, all wiping out a town in a few mins. So the medic could carry his loadout and maybe some extra rockets or something, but he is primarily a medic.

And has anyone else tried dropping ammo for a buddy recently? I can't get it to work and it just disappears.

That is fun, but only for so long. How many other folks would like a few good hard core/ more realistic nights?

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I would like to see player controlled artillery batteries instead of the point and click system we have now, maybe something like this? http://www.armaholic.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=3896

Comment

Dropping ammo works fine (did it last night in the Mando version).

As for having the infantry on patrols, there already is a system for that, they will patrol around the red area, however most aren't set to use that mode.

As far as player count effecting the spawn options, it looks like it may be fairly simple:

Sample from the x_createguardpatrolgroups.sqf file.

Code:
                            _number_basic_guard = 0;
                            _number_specops_guard = 0;
                            _number_tank_guard = ceil (random 2);
                            _number_bmp_guard = ceil (random 3);
                            _number_brdm_guard = ceil (random 2);
                            _number_uaz_mg_guard = ceil (random 2);
                            _number_uaz_grenade_guard = ceil (random 2);
                            _number_basic_patrol = ceil (random 7);if (_number_basic_patrol < 3) then {_number_basic_patrol = 3;};
                            _number_specops_patrol = ceil (random 7);if (_number_specops_patrol < 3) then {_number_specops_patrol = 3;};
                            _number_tank_patrol = ceil (random 3);
                            _number_bmp_patrol = ceil (random 3);
                            _number_brdm_patrol = ceil (random 2);
                            _number_uaz_mg_patrol = ceil (random 2);
                            _number_uaz_grenade_patrol = ceil (random 2);
                            This code is run once a new mission is created (I'm pretty sure ...), so simply adding in some extra logic should allow the number of units spawned to depend on the player count.

Take this as an example:

Code:
                            //count number of players on the server
                            {if (!isNull _x) then {_playerCount += _playerCount}} forEach d_player_entities

//create 3 squads plus 1 for every 5 players
                            _number_basic_patrol = floor(3 + playerCount / 5);
                            At the beginning of the file, init the playerCount variable. Then, when setting the values for the number of enemy groups, do some math/logic to decide how many to make. In this case, it would be 3 squads as a base, then 1 for every 5 players on the server.

To make the enemy patrol the city in a wider area is very simple ... although it may cause problems. Simply extend the "red" area, and they will patrol it (I believe).

Comment

Re: &quot;TG&quot; version of Domination?

I would assume the problem with the "red circle" getting bigger is that we may accidentally trip a city? Or that clearing a city will be a pain because you could have some EI sitting in a bush 200m outside the city buildings?

Perhaps we need to keep the city boundaries the same but introduce random spawning enemy squads. Something similar to the random shilkas. You could select some key points on the map and make a big circle for a squad or two to spawn into.

For me I would just like to see less shooting fish in a barrel. If the city were attacking is on the other side of the map we all know that if we para in or drive the mhq it's safe to go anywhere you please. We also know that you can get to within striking distance of a town and have plenty of time to set up without any threats, the fish and barrel will wait on us to fire :row__572:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X