Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mission Commander Interface Idea Pitch

Hey guys,

I think the title says it all. After playing on Tactical Gamer awhile, I have come to the conclusion that we need to try and pull the commander interface like in warfare out and have a stand alone feature we can insert into our missions.

I would like to see a simple script which is aligned to one unit in a mission desginated as mission commander. This script would allow him to assign waypoints for all the other groups in the mission. It doesn't need to be fancy. Even just a standard "move" point would be enough.

Making marks on the map is one thing, but actually having a "MOVE" waypoint and seeing it on the screen, I think, would help organize the battle better when playing with the public. Also, it would cross langauage barriers.

I have come to this conclusion after using the commander interface myself to organize my group. People respond amazingly to it. RARELY do I get someone who will not listen to me. Usually, I am able to position my men fine, assing ROEs, tell them to stop, watch a certain way etc.

So, I think if the mission commander could assign basic waypoints to squads, we would see even better teamwork. Just a thought. Let me know what you think.

I would love to do this myself, but I just don't have the scripting experience to get it done. I'm currently attempting to contact several well known scripters in the ArmA community and pitching this idea to them. Hopefully I can get one to commit. Wish me luck.
    Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton.

And a little update..

Well, I contacted Xeno (Domination creator) and he's done editing I think. Hopefully Dr. Eyeball (teamstatus dialogue creator) or Mando (Mando script series creator) might be interested in this idea.

I was searching some more and I found the CoC X interface. BUT.. its an addon. Not just an ingame script. So we'd have to add to our list of addons if we used this. This is the only thing I could find which comes close to what i'm wishing I had. However, this goes deeper than what I think is necessary.

here's the link on Armaholic to it.
    http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=1976
    Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton.

Comment

Re: Mission Commander Interface Idea Pitch

But since we use the realist settings, I don't think we would see those waypoints without checking the map... but the idea to have something to simplify the markers placement and the ability to do it in 3d, like in that addon, pleases me.

It's just my opinion.
      sigpic

PR BF2 Alias: NewOrder_JoyDivision

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge.PT View Post
        But since we use the realist settings, I don't think we would see those waypoints without checking the map... but the idea to have something to simplify the markers placement and the ability to do it in 3d, like in that addon, pleases me.

It's just my opinion.
        Very wrong.

Infact, its just the reverse. In ArmA, issued waypoints are never shown on the map. But ARE visable on the in game Heads Up Display (HUD) (and i'm talking of the HUD in general: infantry, air, sea, vehicle too)

Waypoints are in game features which render themselves on a player's HUD. So, if we had a script which could issue a unit a "move" waypoint.. when it was executed the person would see a "move" square icon on their HUD at the spot they were to move to, and also listing the distance.

Ever use the "Squad Waypoint" feature in Evolution? You can press L. SHIFT + LMB on map and set a waypoint for you squad. Then, on the HUD, you'll see a "move" icon. Thats a default waypoint which exists in ArmA.

I am convinced that providing players with waypoint (which will be VISUALLY present to them in their in game HUD) will help coordinate battlefield unit movements.

Comment

I'm at a loss to see how this is better than explaining where to go over VON, plus a map marker?

Comment

Originally posted by Apocal View Post
            I'm at a loss to see how this is better than explaining where to go over VON, plus a map marker?
            Because VON is often cluttered and misheard.

I think that CoCX is sexy though. Would love to mess around with that.

Comment

Ok I think I didn't explain my self clearly.

In the TG servers I think you have this lines with 0:

Originally posted by ArmA.cfg
              class Flags
              {
              Armor=0;
              FriendlyTag=1;
              EnemyTag=0;
              HUD=0;
              HUDPerm=0;
              HUDWp=0;
              HUDWpPerm=0;

AutoSpot=1;
              Map=1;
              WeaponCursor=1;
              AutoGuideAT=0;
              ClockIndicator=1;
              3rdPersonView=1;
              Tracers=1;
              UltraAI=0;
              AutoAim=0;
              };
              That's why you won't see those waypoints in the game hud, but has I said before it would be great to have a way to place the waypoints like in that addon and the ability to form squads as the situation requires.

If the aim is the game to be "realistic", I think the waypoints shown in the hud are sure not the way to obtain it.

Again it's just my opinion.
              sigpic

PR BF2 Alias: NewOrder_JoyDivision

Comment

CoC X looks awesome, now if only that could be done using a script

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
                So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

Originally posted by WaterIsPoison View Post
                  Because VON is often cluttered and misheard.
                  Map marker?

I think that CoCX is sexy though. Would love to mess around with that.
                  It come with a few demo missions to check out.

Comment

Last time we checked, CoC CEX had an issue in MP where any player units that were not in command, but in a commanded group (think: fireteam members) would get about 2fps due to some error in CEX. It was said to be getting a fix 'soon', but I don't think that ever materialized. I would definitely take a look to see if that's still an issue before getting too excited about it.

Also, as far as ArmA2 goes, it looks like the High Command system may give you guys exactly what you're looking for in this respect.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X