Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Idea Pitch: Standard Set of Info in Briefing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Idea Pitch: Standard Set of Info in Briefing

    Hey guys,

    As most of you have seen in the briefing, its pretty easy to add "links" to "additional pages" of information. Think of what the SIMHQ missions do on the main briefing tab.

    I was think maybe we should add links to additional pages of standard information. But not just "mission specific" info. Here are some ideas. What I am envisioning is a list of six or seven links on the "notes" tab to different pages of information.

    Some ideas..

    1. Tactical Gamer information (this might have subcatagories)
    (game play policies, comms policy, T.S. policy and info etc.)

    2. General Game play tips
    (info on those harder controls that most players have confusion on)
    "Head bug"
    "I connected as a bird"

    3. Wounded soldier policy
    (how to behave when your wounded etc., treating wounded, medic behavior policy)

    4. Commanding Interface Tips (my personal favorate)
    (notes on how to use that tricky commander interface)
    "general overview"
    "command list & description"
    "known bugs and limits"

    5. Game Lagg information
    "General Lagg info"
    "No chain, yellow chain, red chain"
    "what I should do during high lag"
    "what is desync"
    "Players connecting"

    6. ACE Mod information (for ACE missions)
    "The Fatigue system"
    "common buggs" (backpack screwup, concious but unconcious etc.)
    "medical system"

    We can really jam a lot of information in there which would be at everyone's fingers during the game. And it won't cost a lot in file size either, its just a text docuement. I think it could pay off in better educating our members and public regulars how to play on the server and being a more effective player.

    I got a lot to say on these topics, so i'd be more than happy to write a small essay for us to use. lol. Let me know your thoughts. But, first off, I know that many people will probably not read it all, BUT AT LEAST it would be there and chances are they would end up browsing thru it over time. Espically if we adopted it in every mission.
    Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton.

  • #2
    Re: Idea Pitch: Standard Set of Info in Briefing

    It's a great idea, lets just hope that people read it :D
    sigpic

    PR BF2 Alias: NewOrder_JoyDivision

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Idea Pitch: Standard Set of Info in Briefing

      Yes I have to say mate, nice idea, but probably not viable!

      Why? It's hard enough to get players to read the damn front page of their notes, let alone more than 3! I also feel we again risk taking this to a more complicated level than it needs to be. ArmA is a "feisty" game with the given stability at times of a fashion model on crack!

      I would actually like to see less in the notes, having seen with some of my past missions, that people simply cannot be bothered to read the notes and then they "whine" about why they just drove into an area full of IED's, tanks, etc.

      However more emphasis put on players to decide how they are going to do their objective and less information on what they might face, I believe is a good thing. Currently I believe we spend wayyyyyyyyy to long on the mission briefing screen and would like to see us get into the habit of as soon as everyone is "orange/green" at the mission map briefing page, the game gets launched.

      The CO can then take himself to one side, create a plan, squad leaders can get their men kitted out and then the commander gives a "Voice" briefing to his Squad Leaders to one side or on TS and the Squad leaders then brief their men on direct chat or group.

      That's just a personal opinion, but I think I am actually going to start to put less into my briefing notes and just list the essential information.

      BD1
      BlackDog1




      "What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Idea Pitch: Standard Set of Info in Briefing

        For the realism aspect, I suggest putting in an OPORD format into place for the briefing.

        Only have simplified data for the individual and links of more exact data for Squad/Platoon/Battalion Sergeants and Commanders.

        This is just an opinionated suggestion, I think in my opinion, that it would be more immersive, plus, some soldiers hardly listen to an OPORD and go by the seat of their pants.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Idea Pitch: Standard Set of Info in Briefing

          Unfortunately I can't recall the mission name, but it's the mission on Afghan Village when there is one half-size Stryker platoon starting on the east side, supposed to create a road block, and SpecOps on the west side supposed to take out a warlord and and an ammo dump. This mission got the best OPORD I've ever seen in ArmA. A prime example for how a good, brief and informative briefing should look like.

          The notes could contain the OP's points #1 and #5. It is easy to get brief.

          As for #2, #4 and #6 I don't think they belong in the briefing. Both because they'll be lengthy, and both because we shouldn't have a whole friggin manual in the briefing. It doesn't belong there.



          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Idea Pitch: Standard Set of Info in Briefing

            Sounds good.
            If you write it up and post it, I would be willing to use it.
            We also could do like a wiki and have the community come up with a TG standard.
            All the things you listed are a GREAT starting point though.

            I suggest that you leave the linkable to markers list of objectives on the first page, and "background" information to the mission in the notes.
            All additional info. can be linked like you said on the "plan page" before the Objectives.
            A task organization and equipment (TO&E) table is also good. It show the equipment and how an element like a platoon is organized.

            The five paragraph OPORD format is also good, especially if you put the labels.
            Here is an example from my mission.


            Highermission

            NOTE YOU ARE 1st PLT, not A Co

            Task Organization: A Co.

            1st Plt - Main Effort (only 1st Plt actually exists, others are just for conceptual idea)

            2nd Plt

            3rd Plt

            Situation:
            (a) Enemy:
            (1)Weather: Dependent on selection
            (2)Terrain: The island of Avigon consists of rolling hills, small towns, forests, and a basic road structure.
            (3)Composition: Scouts have confirmed that a motorized rifle company is operating in our AO that consists of 2-4 motorized/mechanized rifle platoons, light infantry, plus attached airborne elements.
            (4)Locations: Local intel has confirmed the enemy has occupied a factory area, vicinity 072/202, and are setting up a FOB in the town of Balles, vic. 072/205.
            (5)Activities: Some elements are attacking, others patrolling.
            (6)Strength: Enemy consists of a company sized element. They are well-equipped, tanks, IFVs, and crew-served weapons. Additionally, they are highly motivated and will resist.
            (7)Probable Course of Action: Will attack with fierce violence of action.
            (b) Friendly:
            (1)Higher Mission: 1st Bn will defeat enemy attack NLT H+60 vic Avigon South and will counterattack enemy FOB NLT H+120 Avigon South in order to prevent the enemy from setting up a presence in the area
            (2) Lead Unit: 1st Plt, Right: 2nd Plt, Rear: 3rd Plt
            (c) Attachments: 1st Plt has an anti-tank element, sniper team, and M60 tank attached
            Detachments: None

            (2) Mission:
            A Co will defeat enemy attack NLT H+60 vic Brenantes and will counterattack enemy FOB NLT H+120 vic Balles in order to prevent the enemy from setting up a presence in the area
            (3) Execution:
            Commanders Intent: The purpose of this operation is to halt the enemy advance in our AO and counterattack them in order to seize lost land.
            (a)Concept of the Operation: 1st Plt (your plt) will defend battlepostion Bastogne until the enemy attack is defeated. Then once consolidated on BP Bastogne, will counterattack enemy held factory and FOB.
            2nd Plt will provide security from enemy flanking from the East
            3rd Plt will be held in reserve

            (4) Service Support
            (A) General:
            (1)No resupply for 24 hours
            (2)Resupply from HMMVs/5t trucks<

            (5) Command & Signal
            (A) Command
            (1)CO with be located with 3rd Plt
            (B) Signal
            (1) Minimize side chat conversations if you are not a team leader or the PL/PSG
            "Never forget that you are there to SERVE the soldiers. Listen to your NCOs and always do the right thing." -My Father
            "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGNxHMFjigA"
            "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce0c6qVnJE4"
            "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2Lpc9vTnqU"
            "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEzc9fB8xPo"
            "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tdCTP_ae_8"
            "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrmoSZgYaFw"

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Idea Pitch: Standard Set of Info in Briefing

              Originally posted by Igor View Post
              Sounds good.
              If you write it up and post it, I would be willing to use it.
              We also could do like a wiki and have the community come up with a TG standard.
              All the things you listed are a GREAT starting point though.

              I suggest that you leave the linkable to markers list of objectives on the first page, and "background" information to the mission in the notes.
              All additional info. can be linked like you said on the "plan page" before the Objectives.
              A task organization and equipment (TO&E) table is also good. It show the equipment and how an element like a platoon is organized.

              The five paragraph OPORD format is also good, especially if you put the labels.
              Here is an example from my mission.


              Highermission

              NOTE YOU ARE 1st PLT, not A Co

              Task Organization: A Co.

              1st Plt - Main Effort (only 1st Plt actually exists, others are just for conceptual idea)

              2nd Plt

              3rd Plt

              Situation:
              (a) Enemy:
              (1)Weather: Dependent on selection
              (2)Terrain: The island of Avigon consists of rolling hills, small towns, forests, and a basic road structure.
              (3)Composition: Scouts have confirmed that a motorized rifle company is operating in our AO that consists of 2-4 motorized/mechanized rifle platoons, light infantry, plus attached airborne elements.
              (4)Locations: Local intel has confirmed the enemy has occupied a factory area, vicinity 072/202, and are setting up a FOB in the town of Balles, vic. 072/205.
              (5)Activities: Some elements are attacking, others patrolling.
              (6)Strength: Enemy consists of a company sized element. They are well-equipped, tanks, IFVs, and crew-served weapons. Additionally, they are highly motivated and will resist.
              (7)Probable Course of Action: Will attack with fierce violence of action.
              (b) Friendly:
              (1)Higher Mission: 1st Bn will defeat enemy attack NLT H+60 vic Avigon South and will counterattack enemy FOB NLT H+120 Avigon South in order to prevent the enemy from setting up a presence in the area
              (2) Lead Unit: 1st Plt, Right: 2nd Plt, Rear: 3rd Plt
              (c) Attachments: 1st Plt has an anti-tank element, sniper team, and M60 tank attached
              Detachments: None

              (2) Mission:
              A Co will defeat enemy attack NLT H+60 vic Brenantes and will counterattack enemy FOB NLT H+120 vic Balles in order to prevent the enemy from setting up a presence in the area
              (3) Execution:
              Commanders Intent: The purpose of this operation is to halt the enemy advance in our AO and counterattack them in order to seize lost land.
              (a)Concept of the Operation: 1st Plt (your plt) will defend battlepostion Bastogne until the enemy attack is defeated. Then once consolidated on BP Bastogne, will counterattack enemy held factory and FOB.
              2nd Plt will provide security from enemy flanking from the East
              3rd Plt will be held in reserve

              (4) Service Support
              (A) General:
              (1)No resupply for 24 hours
              (2)Resupply from HMMVs/5t trucks<

              (5) Command & Signal
              (A) Command
              (1)CO with be located with 3rd Plt
              (B) Signal
              (1) Minimize side chat conversations if you are not a team leader or the PL/PSG
              I admire the way you brief in game when you are PLT CO. It's very clear and concise. Perhaps, you could create a thread on your outline when briefing so that players who are interested in being CO but just really not sure where to start in making a plan can use that as a guide. Thank you for your service, btw. I look forward in working with you in joint operations with the Army.


              IN GAME ARMA: |TG-Irr| Lq.Snake

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Idea Pitch: Standard Set of Info in Briefing

                Originally posted by nthamma View Post
                I admire the way you brief in game when you are PLT CO. It's very clear and concise. Perhaps, you could create a thread on your outline when briefing so that players who are interested in being CO but just really not sure where to start in making a plan can use that as a guide. Thank you for your service, btw. I look forward in working with you in joint operations with the Army.
                Thanks. I think I will make a "Leadership Guide" thread with a process that people can follow. Additionally, it will have hints and probably a example showing the process (a pratical application of it). Might be a couple of days before I can crank it out...
                "Never forget that you are there to SERVE the soldiers. Listen to your NCOs and always do the right thing." -My Father
                "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGNxHMFjigA"
                "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce0c6qVnJE4"
                "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2Lpc9vTnqU"
                "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEzc9fB8xPo"
                "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tdCTP_ae_8"
                "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrmoSZgYaFw"

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Idea Pitch: Standard Set of Info in Briefing

                  Also it woild be great to see in Briefing without what roles you can't complite mission.
                  Like pilots if you start in the choper etc.
                  Sorry for my English :)
                  Indirect Fire - Basic: Advanced:
                  Basic Forward Observer -

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Idea Pitch: Standard Set of Info in Briefing

                    Sounds good, it would be great if someone could put out a standardized file.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Idea Pitch: Standard Set of Info in Briefing

                      Originally posted by Blackdog1-22 Reg.SAS View Post
                      I would actually like to see less in the notes, having seen with some of my past missions, that people simply cannot be bothered to read the notes and then they "whine" about why they just drove into an area full of IED's, tanks, etc.
                      My take on this attitude is to have the CO be the one to read through the entire briefing and then tell everyone the key points. If people can wait whilst everyone gets their gear sorted and the TL's are briefed, they can spend sometime at the map screen in what is commonly known as the "planning phase".

                      Why this part of the game get's overlooked is beyond me. You have the briefing, a map and markers to put on the map and the opportunity to go over a basic plan with everyone (and get input from others - it is a team effort after all).

                      The mission makers should also make a breifing with this in mind. There should be an overview on the main page and then the notes can be used to go into more detail. The overview contains everything people need to know at the most basic level whereas the notes go into more detail and if players don't wish t read it, tough luck when they die because of it.

                      Nobody wants to read an essay on a briefing so it's important to keep it succinct.
                      Jex.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Idea Pitch: Standard Set of Info in Briefing

                        Originally posted by jex View Post
                        The mission makers should also make a breifing with this in mind. There should be an overview on the main page and then the notes can be used to go into more detail. The overview contains everything people need to know at the most basic level whereas the notes go into more detail and if players don't wish t read it, tough luck when they die because of it.

                        Nobody wants to read an essay on a briefing so it's important to keep it succinct.
                        I agree.

                        I started out with several pages of briefing then changed to have an overview of the mission and the objectives with backup notes to add key intelligence/tips to assist planning.
                        BlackDog1




                        "What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Idea Pitch: Standard Set of Info in Briefing

                          Originally posted by jex View Post
                          My take on this attitude is to have the CO be the one to read through the entire briefing and then tell everyone the key points. If people can wait whilst everyone gets their gear sorted and the TL's are briefed, they can spend sometime at the map screen in what is commonly known as the "planning phase".

                          Why this part of the game get's overlooked is beyond me. You have the briefing, a map and markers to put on the map and the opportunity to go over a basic plan with everyone (and get input from others - it is a team effort after all).

                          The mission makers should also make a breifing with this in mind. There should be an overview on the main page and then the notes can be used to go into more detail. The overview contains everything people need to know at the most basic level whereas the notes go into more detail and if players don't wish t read it, tough luck when they die because of it.

                          Nobody wants to read an essay on a briefing so it's important to keep it succinct.
                          Totally Agree with you
                          Basic Leadership Guide
                          http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-a...hip-guide.html
                          "Never forget that you are there to SERVE the soldiers. Listen to your NCOs and always do the right thing." -My Father
                          "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGNxHMFjigA"
                          "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce0c6qVnJE4"
                          "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2Lpc9vTnqU"
                          "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEzc9fB8xPo"
                          "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tdCTP_ae_8"
                          "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrmoSZgYaFw"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Idea Pitch: Standard Set of Info in Briefing

                            Igor, you are an awesome person! Didn't think you would actually spend the time to create the leadership guide. Thanks a lot! And again, thank you for your service! Lots of people here in Houston and I'm sure all over the US, appreciates the service that our women and men in the military have provided for us! Thank you, sir.


                            IN GAME ARMA: |TG-Irr| Lq.Snake

                            Comment

                            Connect

                            Collapse

                            TeamSpeak 3 Server

                            Collapse

                            Advertisement

                            Collapse

                            Twitter Feed

                            Collapse

                            Working...
                            X