The Eagle Went over the Mountain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Eagle Went over the Mountain

It's the title of an unclassified AAR by Force Recon Platoon SPMAGTF Afghanistan.

It's a PowerPoint slideshow and it can be downloaded from here.

I find some things very interesting in it, both the apparant military skill and understanding of the Afghani insurgents in both preparing ambushes and defensive positions in ways to effectively counter expected counter-movements by the US forces. And also that (in the latter part of the AAR) Marines did in a 8 hour encounter only spend 4 magazines per rifleman, despite a very enemy-dense environment, more out of personal choice not to carry a lot of magazines, than due to overall availability of ammunition.

I'm working on a big-ass manual for ArmA, but I can highlight one thing from the AAR that would be handy for use here at TG, both in COOP and TvT: Target designation.
    Often it is hard to get a whole squad to spot a target fairly fast, even when using reference objects in the target description, and to put effective and heavy fire onto an enemy everyone need to know where to shoot. If the squad leader (who should be more busy leading the squad than shooting) uses tracer ammunition if available he can tell everyone to watch a general area, shoot one tracer round, and then use that tracer as reference for squad fire.
    Last edited by Inkompetent; 02-12-2009, 09:30 AM.

Re: The Eagle Went over the Mountain

Thats very interesting! I always load up with tracer ammo in coop, but thats because the AI don't understand the concept of it. In pvp on the other hand, tracers has to be used with great care and maximized effect using communication, just like you mention.
    Last edited by sparks50; 02-12-2009, 11:40 AM.

Playername Sparks444 in BF2

Comment

The mud walls of the Afghani houses are very resistant to heavy machineguns and small arms fire and provide excellent cover for enemy fighters. 50 cal, MK 19 and even 20mm Vulcan will not penetrate the 18 inch thick walls.
      From what I've read of other people, I always thought these buildings were useless as cover - turns out they are extremely effective.

Thanks for the find :)
      Jex.

Comment

It is indeed a very interesting read.
        BarnacleofDoom

One shot - One miss!

Comment

18" mud wall would be about the same as an 18" sandbag... Same material if you think about it.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X