ACE Insurgent IEDs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACE Insurgent IEDs

Aparently ACE has an insurgent class capable of placing IEDs of large small and medium variety..but when i try to use the IEDs in editor they dont deploy..i have tried standing near cars and being cars nothing works :(

are they broken?

Fate whispers to the warrior "You will not survive the storm."
    The warrior whispers back, "I AM the storm."

Re: ACE Insurgent IEDs

I think they drop satchel charges mate, but I may be mistaken?
    BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

nah in the editor preview it says drop IED(size) but nothing is dropped and the ammo count(2 left) doesnt go down

Comment

yep they don't seem to work
        sigpic
        Pride/Shame of the PLA

Comment

Not really "broken" per say but not "implimented" :P

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

My opinion? Keep IEDs out of missions, unless they're facilitating a complex ambush on part of the insurgents. Driving to a mission and randomly exploding is no fun. "Fun" is the operative word.

YMMV.

Comment

Originally posted by Gillespie View Post
              My opinion? Keep IEDs out of missions, unless they're facilitating a complex ambush on part of the insurgents. Driving to a mission and randomly exploding is no fun. "Fun" is the operative word.

YMMV.

Agreed.

I personally use IEDs is to use them where they are acting as a barrier for denial of entry into certain areas, for ambiance, or using them for what they are.
              But and this is a HUGE but, please please do not use anything larger than a HE/AP shell as an IED. Using satchels or even Laser guided bombs are not 'cool' specially when there aren't any visible or aural warnings to preceed them. Also this is just overkill and unnecessary.
              Having half of a squad KIA is not "fun."

To workaround this, this is what I did with my "IED";

1)To add sound files that activates before the bomb goes off. Giving the players (hopefully their situational awareness is up) a warning. i.e. a random someone chanting "Allah akbar..."

2)To add/use a repetitive 'IED bomb' thats familar to the vets of TG gamers and also new players that can 'see' them prior to being in the killzone.

Bonus tip to mission makers;
              You can "deflect" the killzone or "buffer" them by using static objects in ArmA (under "Objects")
              i.e. you have an IED on the left of the static destroyed jeep. If you stand on the right side of the static jeep you are less likely to get killed but still have some of the effect of the IED once triggered.

<<Killzone<<IED<<Left[JEEP]Right>>>Shielded by the jeep

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

YMMV.
                agreed with scripted IEDs..however i was hoping these could be placed in a car or other object by players and command detonated..easier to spot but alot more powerful than a simple satchel charge..idea was for a tvt mission

Comment

Originally posted by LowSpeedHighDrag View Post
                  Having half of a squad KIA is not "fun."
                  I'm not in disagreement but this would be less a problem on TG if people would learn what a point element is for.

Comment

Originally posted by Apocal View Post
                    I'm not in disagreement but this would be less a problem on TG if people would learn what a point element is for.
                    Or a point man for that matter.

Than again, we're talking about mixing it up with publics and TGs. Although highly wishful, can't be perfect everytime.

Comment

Originally posted by LowSpeedHighDrag View Post
                      Or a point man for that matter.
                      Well point element applies to all levels. Ideally, if you're running a platoon-level game, you have a lead squad, which detaches a point team. My understanding (and I realize other people may have been taught differently), is that you want adequate combat power at point to represent a credible response to the threat, while not being so much the mission would be affected by their loss. So if it's IED country, one guy, everyone else in column. If it's looking like Ambush country, a team, with the rest of the unit in something allowing for more flexible fields of fire.

I've heard complaints that "it slows us down" but if they keep moving, it's the same speed, minus the trivial time it takes for them to get 30-100m forward.

Than again, we're talking about mixing it up with publics and TGs. Although highly wishful, can't be perfect everytime.
                      It's not exactly rocket surgery. If your typical public team leader has the knowledge to chastise me for being on his wrong side in echelon left formation (and they do), he should be able to understand why one man posted in front is an effective means of keeping his unit alive and effective.

That being said, there are times when METT-T dictates otherwise and you need everyone on-line, ten meter spacing. It's just usually the times IEDs hit are when we're outside of immediate contact so... wtf? :/

Column, yo. It's actually useful for somethings.

Comment

There's a decent amount of people that know what their doing and their is a decent amount that don't know what they are doing. When a commander at least sounds like he knows what he is talking about, squad leaders will listen. If the squad leader understands what to do, then the firetams will function propperly. It's when you have leaders that don't know the first thing about leading that people stop listening. Trying to give people orders when you or your squad leaders don't know anything about their position will make people think they are better off doing things the way they want. Me personnally, I do better as a squad lead or fireteam lead. I usually have my squad take things slowly and I get them organized before we even move out. I normally don't have complaints about moving to slow, especially when they survive the mission. So if you want pubbers to have a point element and take things slow, you have to show them you at least have a good idea what you are talking about.

If people don't want to follow orders or are messing things up for everyone, warn them and if they keep it up, ask the admin to kick them. Of course now and then you will get a group that dosn't respond, listen, or speak your language and those times I usually decide to come back when there are more serious players on. Also some missions don't give you time to organize because it starts you in the middle of a ton of enemies or a convoy you have to ambush is 2 minutes away and you gotta run to meet it. Missions that start at a base and let you get things situated in camp as opposed to the pre deployment map screen run a lot smoother... in my opinion anyways. Anyways, establish some sort of control and having a point element and taking it slow through ied country won't be nearly as hard.
                        |TG-Irr|LCpl. Soto
                        TGULT-Roel Yento

Comment

Driving to a mission and randomly exploding is no fun. "Fun" is the operative word.
                          Agreed to a certain degree. An IED that is not visible and an explosion just happens is poor mission design. However an actual object like a barrel, radio, etc must be considered a threat if you want to experience some form tactical awareness that the guys experience every day in Afghanistan/Iraq.

I find the threat of IED stops people just racing around a given area.
                          BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

Originally posted by Blackdog1-22 Reg.SAS View Post
                            Agreed to a certain degree. An IED that is not visible and an explosion just happens is poor mission design. However an actual object like a barrel, radio, etc must be considered a threat if you want to experience some form tactical awareness that the guys experience every day in Afghanistan/Iraq.

I find the threat of IED stops people just racing around a given area.
                            ...Provided that they actually read the usually long briefing/notes! ;)

I have to agree that IEDs can turn to be spammy/unnecessary/not fun when undetectable or random and support the idea of yes, IEDs should be used on more insurgent maps/missions but they also should have some sort of indicator to gives players a chance while also leaving room for those who aren't careful enough. Out of place/suspicious things like mentioned above, radios, barrels, cars parked real close to the road, etc. are perfect for that.

| |

Comment

Originally posted by MarineSeaknight View Post
                              ...Provided that they actually read the usually long briefing/notes! ;)

I have to agree that IEDs can turn to be spammy/unnecessary/not fun when undetectable or random and support the idea of yes, IEDs should be used on more insurgent maps/missions but they also should have some sort of indicator to gives players a chance while also leaving room for those who aren't careful enough. Out of place/suspicious things like mentioned above, radios, barrels, cars parked real close to the road, etc. are perfect for that.
                              I think this is where playing styles seperate drastically. On one hand you have players that just want to get in a game and shoot stuff, and as much stuff as possible. That's pretty much it.

On the other hand you have players who involve themselves in the mission - to some extent rolplaying. They'll take time to go over the briefing, involve themselves in the planning and play as a team to achieve the goals.

Some briefings are too long, there's no doubt about that and imo that's a bad start to a mission. As a player, the only interest I have as far as the briefing goes is for it to be concise and brief. If I want to read the background about why the king, who's long been suffering an illness and his only daughter, heir to the throne has been kidnapped by a rebel activist named Zoundin Rushon who has been pleading with the king to allow the fuel shipments to go the the people but after the death of his grandmother, he blah blah blah... That crap can go in the notes :)
                              Jex.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X