Limits on Medical Gear

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limits on Medical Gear

I talked to someone a couple days ago, who was working on a script that limited morphine and epinephrine to only medic classes. Apparently, he stopped working on it because an ACE Developer did not like that idea. I didn't understand what he said when I asked why the ACE Dev didn't like that. Although IMO, I think that by not limiting morphine and epinephrine to only medics, it kind of defeats the purpose of having them (the medic roles) - except to heal at for the sole purpose of stabalizing one's aim. Anyways, I was thinking about making some missions with a trigger that only allowed players to have epinphrine on them when around a certain distance within a Medical Chinook. Basically, if one needed epinephrine, a Medical Chinook had to be called in and land near the wounded (or wounded dragged to LZ), where epinephine could be taken out from the chopper. If the chopper took off, then any epinephrine the players had on them would disappear. I think that by doing this, it will intensify the urgency of "wounded in action" situations for both those on the ground and the pilots and kind of simulate MEDEVACs in a way. Also, transport pilots tend not do much throughout a mission after their initial insertion tasks, and by implementing this, it will give them much more to do and keep them on their toes. Just wondering if ACE Devs would be okay with this. I will definitely honor their requests if not, since they made this totally awsome mod =D

Re: Limits on Medical Gear

Along the same lines I was thinking of having epinephrine, healing, bandages and morphine only available within a specific area around a small field hospital located at an air field or forward operations base. So that if you are wounded you need to be driven or flown back to the medical facility. An urgent medical evacuation essentially. Unconscious players need to be able to be loaded into vehicles though, but it could add an interesting dynamic.

Comment

I would suggest checking out the ACE forums and getting discussion happening there about how the medical system could be tweaked. The system that is in place now is not the final one, and things can definitely be changed. Personally, I would much rather see it done from the mod side than from the mission.

As far as the supply of epi/morphine - if you aren't placing medical crates in the mission, where is the issue coming up? I think it should be a given that placing a crate with near-infinite supplies (ie: 100 bandages, 100 epi, 100 morphine) is going to cause a balancing issue that would not exist otherwise. Same with medical M113s - their default load of supplies is rather excessive and can cause a similar balance issue. Apart from that, only the medics should have that gear, and they only have so much of it.

Simulating medevac in some capacity could be interesting for the progressive-style missions, I agree. I think, though, that it would be better to find ways to do this that are global throughout the mod and don't rely on mission-specific scripting. Contributing to the ACE forums would help in that regard.

Comment

All US soldiers carry a useful first-aid kit that goes under the acronym IFAK. As such, things like bandages and items that keep you from dying should be available to all soldiers. The advanced stuff that a regular line joe wouldn't possess could be restricted (somehow) to medics.

Not sure how you'd code that, though.

Comment

I Agree to this kind of idea limiting use of morphine and epinephrine for non-medics as in my opinion intensifies the priority of protecting the wounded in action instead of getting him back up in top shape within seconds. I'd like to see this kind of thing tested out to see if it works out if not lets hope there are some other ways.

As long as there is man there will be wars-Albert Einstein

No man,No problem-Josef Stalin

Comment

I think this makes sense. I mean seriously, who carries morphine and epinephrine in their IFAK? Limiting these things to a medic will make the medics actually serve a purpose. It would be awesome to see the transports doing CASEVAC.
            ------------------------------------------
            sigpic
            The views and opinions expressed by this forum member do not necessarily represent the U.S. Army, 3ID or even himself, really. Sock of the Yarn!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Angryson View Post
              I think this makes sense. I mean seriously, who carries morphine and epinephrine in their IFAK? Limiting these things to a medic will make the medics actually serve a purpose. It would be awesome to see the transports doing CASEVAC.
              This is ignoring the points made above. The default loadout for ACE has infantry carrying bandages, to represent things like IFAKs. They don't have morphine or epi. Only medics do. Thus, the issue being described sounds a lot like a mission design problem, vs a core ACE problem. Remove medical crates/lessen cargo of medical vehicles/etc and it seems that it would no longer be a problem.

Comment

I had brought this up in another context two months ago, no reaction back then though:
                Originally posted by bert View Post
                Also it seems to me that non-medic soldiers have the exact same abilities to vet like the medics (often rendering a dedicated medic obsolete). Maybe there should be some distinction in the abilities like the severity of wounds that can only be healed by medics (but I guess this is the wrong thread/forum for this ;-)).
                I still think this might be a way to go, to leave the normal soldiers with the equipment they have right now (bandages, epi, morphine) and additionally add either more severe types of wounds that will need a medic treatment or maybe if one has been wounded, he will have to heal at a medic at some point otherwise he will keep a shaking hand or some other disadvantage.

The whole point being again to give a reason why to have dedicated medics in the first place. I know there are some wounds that have to be healed *at* a medic, but diversifying the medic system (without making it more complicated) or removing some abilities from normal soldiers seems a good idea to support the importance of the medic role. Other than that, the current ACE system is a huge leap compared to vanilla Arma and enhances the gameplay a lot already.

Comment

Originally posted by Dslyecxi View Post
                  This is ignoring the points made above. The default loadout for ACE has infantry carrying bandages, to represent things like IFAKs. They don't have morphine or epi. Only medics do. Thus, the issue being described sounds a lot like a mission design problem, vs a core ACE problem. Remove medical crates/lessen cargo of medical vehicles/etc and it seems that it would no longer be a problem.
                  My bad. I must be off my meds...
                  ------------------------------------------
                  sigpic
                  The views and opinions expressed by this forum member do not necessarily represent the U.S. Army, 3ID or even himself, really. Sock of the Yarn!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dslyecxi View Post
                    Part of it is unlimited medical equipment, however the 101st Airborne US troops are each given 2 Morphine and 2 Bandages, along with an M9 and 4 mags, so, they can effectively self-treat unless they have no pulse. It can be kind of a pain to remove all the kit and readd it through script, so a lot of mission makers don't do it ...

Personally, I think that there isn't too much of an issue with the medical supplies, as you simply only make them available to the medics (do not place ACE weapon crates, add any weapons you want individually to an empty crate, or give it to the players on spawn) and make sure you empty out all medical vehicles/tents. If you do that, medics are necessary, not simply a convenient thing as they are now.

Comment

Originally posted by beita View Post
                      Part of it is unlimited medical equipment, however the 101st Airborne US troops are each given 2 Morphine and 2 Bandages, along with an M9 and 4 mags, so, they can effectively self-treat unless they have no pulse. It can be kind of a pain to remove all the kit and readd it through script, so a lot of mission makers don't do it ...

Personally, I think that there isn't too much of an issue with the medical supplies, as you simply only make them available to the medics (do not place ACE weapon crates, add any weapons you want individually to an empty crate, or give it to the players on spawn) and make sure you empty out all medical vehicles/tents. If you do that, medics are necessary, not simply a convenient thing as they are now.
                      Yes, that is definitely a much easier way to do that without even having to use scripts. I would like to make my missions so that bandages are available to everyone (in crates), morphines are available to only medics (in their rucksacks), and epinephrines are only availble by medical chinooks (in their gear load) and can only be used within their vicinity. I understand that these could be universally implemented in the next ACE patch, however, I kind of feel like that since Arma2 and OFP2 are coming out soon anyways... why not enjoy this medical structure now. Plus, its such a simple implementation, requiring only the use of a trigger [condition: chinook1 distance player > 10] [activation: player removeMagazines "ACE_Epinephrine"], that it is easily fixable if the next ACE patch did come out with such a medical system.

Comment

If you require a medical Chinook to come around and bring epinephrine it is probably a lost cause.

Comment

I don't think limiting medical supplies to whatever you spawn with is a good solution; it's important for medics to be able to resupply. When I'm a medic I like to have a backpack with extra supplies in it so I don't run out in the field.

P.S.
                          As such I agree with the idea that this is best handled by the ACE developers & not left for mission makers to kludge about with. Any mechanic which facilitates a tense medevac scenario, such as treatments which can only be performed at a medical tent by a medic, is sorely needed.

Comment

I agree that having epinephrine only available on a Chinook will only result in dead wounded players ... the chance of a Chinook being able to set down within a reasonable distance of a wounded player within 2-3 minutes is slim to none ..

Keeping the "complex" medical supplies on medics only solves that problem. Also, Medics do not use medical supplies, that is a feature not a bug. At least until the medical system has been fleshed out more (what I've read).

Comment

Originally posted by ironpants View Post
                              I don't think limiting medical supplies to whatever you spawn with is a good solution; it's important for medics to be able to resupply. When I'm a medic I like to have a backpack with extra supplies in it so I don't run out in the field.

P.S.
                              As such I agree with the idea that this is best handled by the ACE developers & not left for mission makers to kludge about with. Any mechanic which facilitates a tense medevac scenario, such as treatments which can only be performed at a medical tent by a medic, is sorely needed.
                              I custom assign all weapons and rucksacks to every soldier in my missions anyways. Although I too like the idea of medics being able to resupply when they want, I could easily place plenty of medical supplies in the medic's rucksack which I'm sure will last them throughout the mission.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X