No announcement yet.

Anyone found a way to employ the CSWs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone found a way to employ the CSWs?

Because, considering the weight and ammo issues, I haven't.

:(

While testing, it's cool, I get a M2HB or MK19 and I can basically sight it in and knock people off from close to km out, consistently. In-game, it's rarely that awesome, one map of beta's excepted, because I just can't figure out how to get it positioned in such a way to be both protected and relevant to the fight.

Anyone got any tips?

Anyone else wishing for a crew-served M240 or PKM as well?

Re: Anyone found a way to employ the CSWs?

Just a suggestion, but crew served weapons would be used to support advanving troops that are attacking a fortified enemy position or the defense of an area.. Because the legs aren't adjustable it makes it harder to get cover with these guns but they are quite capable of raining death on enemies at range. So long as the assistant gunner is helping to direct your shots with optics, you will see they add a new element to gameplay. I like using crew served weapons when given the chance, but that's me. Not sure how everyone else feels.
    |TG-Irr|LCpl. Soto
    TGULT-Roel Yento

Comment

Originally posted by LCpl. Soto View Post
      Just a suggestion, but crew served weapons would be used to support advanving troops that are attacking a fortified enemy position or the defense of an area.
      Yeah, I can't imagine any other roles. The problem I run into is that a basic unit of fire is something like two or three hundred rounds. That goes real quick if you're talking about long range (500m+), five round ranging bursts and ten or twenty round killing bursts.

A secondary problem is finding terrain suitable, at least on Sahrani. Not many good, long fields of fire there.

Because the legs aren't adjustable it makes it harder to get cover with these guns but they are quite capable of raining death on enemies at range. So long as the assistant gunner is helping to direct your shots with optics, you will see they add a new element to gameplay.
      I have no problem with the actual operating the weapon. My favorite ArmA moment was, ironically, on the server that has Tactical in it's name, but runs Domination ACE 24/7. Me and two other pubbers (whose names I can't recall :() took turns on a M2HB, moving in a UAZ we liberated and loaded with ammo. We setup in Arcadia right before a counterattack came and wound up stripping the infantry from the counterattack inside of five minutes. **** was so cash.

I like using crew served weapons when given the chance, but that's me. Not sure how everyone else feels.
      I like using them too, but since a lot of people don't know how to use them and most mission developers leave ACE weapon boxes around...

Comment

It'd probably be best to use them with a full crew, with the assistant gunner handling reloads while the ammo bearer shuttles cans of .50 cal back and forth to you as needed.

To be honest, of course, nobody man-ports an M2 anymore in modern-day warfare.

Comment

Assistant Gunner would be handeling reloads but he also helps direct fire. Crew served weapons are meant to be crew served, not 1 or 2 guys doing all the work. As for no one man porting it anywhere, it's mostly used as a mounted gun on vehicles or used as a moveable gun emplacement for defense. People still train with the weapon as a crew served weapon and it can be setup in an area that a vehicle couldn't go or where a vehicle would stick out to much. I think crew served weapons are worth keeping around, but due to their weight and how much the ammo weighs they probably would be best for defense missions because you can set them up however you want. My idea for using them for assaults isn't that good since if you took hmmwvs to the pre assault area, might as well use the guns on them. 240G's and AT weapons suffice for heavy weapons on the assault.
          |TG-Irr|LCpl. Soto
          TGULT-Roel Yento

Comment

I agree the M2HB is simply too heavy to use in anything but an EXTREMELY planned assault. The ammo is simply too heavy to carry around, even the rifleman in the platoon can't carry it, as it weighs too damn much. Only really applicable if you are motorized, then, it is hard to get the vehicles close enough without compromising the position ...

Either way, the M2HB is kind of just a place holder in my missions until the 60mm mortar comes along. THAT is CSW that is quite useful.

However, I think that people should start considering the M240 and heavier Anti-Tank weapons (Carl Gustav, SMAW, etc.) as crew served weapons. You really aren't as effective on your own. When you have an assistant gunner, you not only can shoot more, your A-gunner can correct your fire, so you actually hit things, or give you another distance estimation so you have a better chance of hitting things.

Comment

Originally posted by Gillespie View Post
              It'd probably be best to use them with a full crew, with the assistant gunner handling reloads while the ammo bearer shuttles cans of .50 cal back and forth to you as needed.

To be honest, of course, nobody man-ports an M2 anymore in modern-day warfare.
              Yeah, but it's what ACE gave us. The alternative, MK19... I don't think it's even considered man-portable. No way to pull the barrel from the receiver either, God that sucks so bad. Then the ammo... just moving it from the truck to the gun pit was misery.

Originally posted by LCpl. Soto View Post
              Assistant Gunner would be handeling reloads but he also helps direct fire. Crew served weapons are meant to be crew served, not 1 or 2 guys doing all the work. As for no one man porting it anywhere, it's mostly used as a mounted gun on vehicles or used as a moveable gun emplacement for defense. People still train with the weapon as a crew served weapon and it can be setup in an area that a vehicle couldn't go or where a vehicle would stick out to much. I think crew served weapons are worth keeping around, but due to their weight and how much the ammo weighs they probably would be best for defense missions because you can set them up however you want. My idea for using them for assaults isn't that good since if you took hmmwvs to the pre assault area, might as well use the guns on them. 240G's and AT weapons suffice for heavy weapons on the assault.
              Yeah, that's the problem I run into. If you're bringing vehicles, might as well just use the guns on them, unless you have a very pressing need to put the 50 in a building.

Originally posted by beita View Post
              Either way, the M2HB is kind of just a place holder in my missions until the 60mm mortar comes along. THAT is CSW that is quite useful.
              That's going to be sweet. Also, I really like your missions. Always fun and it's nice knowing that half the server won't be running around with sniper rifles.

However, I think that people should start considering the M240 and heavier Anti-Tank weapons (Carl Gustav, SMAW, etc.) as crew served weapons. You really aren't as effective on your own. When you have an assistant gunner, you not only can shoot more, your A-gunner can correct your fire, so you actually hit things, or give you another distance estimation so you have a better chance of hitting things.
              In real life, I'd agree but in ACE I can still haul 600 rounds of 7.62 and keep up with the assault. If anything, ACE makes it worse because I can pack stuff into an ALICE which just begs for me to haul 1K rounds around.

Comment

Originally posted by Apocal View Post
                Yeah, but it's what ACE gave us. The alternative, MK19... I don't think it's even considered man-portable. No way to pull the barrel from the receiver either, God that sucks so bad. Then the ammo... just moving it from the truck to the gun pit was misery.
                Technically, it - the Mk19 - is man-portable (M2 with barrel is 10 lbs. heavier or something). I imagine that back when the M2 WAS lugged around, they left the barrel on. I wouldn't want to screw around with headspace and timing in combat.

Comment

Originally posted by Gillespie View Post
                  Technically, it - the Mk19 - is man-portable (M2 with barrel is 10 lbs. heavier or something).
                  The 40mm, man, the 40mm!

I imagine that back when the M2 WAS lugged around, they left the barrel on. I wouldn't want to screw around with headspace and timing in combat.
                  Neither would I.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X