Real artillery addon. You cant party without Arty

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real artillery addon. You cant party without Arty

I just want bring peoples attention to this great artillery mod. It works great with ACE, and its a blast to watch incoming rounds and correct them. It would have been great to have this amongst the Tactical Gamer addons, its only 300kb.

Just like in real life, the artillery operators adjusts the angle of the cannon, according to the location where rounds are requested. Forward Observers, or anyone else, can then instruct, and if necessary give corrections.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=2121

And here is some short feedback from when we played with it yesterday:

http://www.arma-rpg.com/acemod-games...48658#msg48658

Playername Sparks444 in BF2

Re: Real artillery addon. You cant party without Arty

The only problem I see with this addon, is the fact that you need a human gunner for each piece of artillery.
    sigpic

PR BF2 Alias: NewOrder_JoyDivision

Comment

Well, I cant imagine Warfare style artillery(click point on map) to be much fun anyway
      Last edited by sparks50; 03-18-2009, 01:59 PM.

Comment

No, but you could give grid reference and adjust fire from there. I only say this, because I personally wouldn't like to be artillery gunner for a whole mission, and it would be hard to get volunteers for each artillery piece.

EDIT: But if we were able to have only one gunner for all pieces, the probability to have all pieces at our disposal would be far greater.
        Last edited by Jorge.PT; 03-18-2009, 02:18 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

That is nice. I'll take a look at adding that soon.

I'll probably never get around to it, thanks to Arma 2 being released soon, but I'd love to do a mortar addon.

Comment

I'm was an artillery gunner for a few months in my clan. It's fun, most def, but artillery is quite a bit overkill for a game that focuses between the squad and company level.

Comment

Originally posted by Apocal View Post
              I'm was an artillery gunner for a few months in my clan. It's fun, most def, but artillery is quite a bit overkill for a game that focuses between the squad and company level.
              I agree that howitzers and such are overkill, they are just too devastating, but a Platoon or Company mortar squad is exactly what ArmA needs IMO. There is something to say about the demoralizing effect of being shelled. It is an utterly random event and quite the horrific way to die, in ArmA terms. That is the great part about artillery, it is pretty damn random, so if you stay in the same spot in some cover, there is a very good chance you won't die. BUT if you start running around, there is a very good chance you WILL die. It is an EXCELLENT form of suppression and even a light shelling can keep troops holed up for a very long time.

I think that most of the attacks that we run through (conventional warfare ones at least) would benefit immensely from having fire missions throughout. An attack without artillery is like a day without sunshine :P

We have been making due without it, but if it is added, it will make attacks something other than a suicidal move. The fire missions don't necessarily have to be player controlled, but that would be preferable as it introduces human error and can be quite fun as the spotter/shooter team. A quick scenario I just thought up; BLUFOR is defending against a REDFOR attack. They have just 1 Rifle Section vs. the REDFOR enemy Platoon. The REDFOR get a pre-planned fire mission that bombs the BLUFOR position, the BLUFOR get a group of say 4 105mm howitzers that are human controlled to bomb the crap out the REDFOR with. The key to the success of REDFOR is to push FAST so the artillery can't zero in on you, the key for the BLUFOR is to pin the REDFOR so you can blow the living crap out of them with 105mm HE rounds.

It would make for a very interesting mission IMO, something I would like to play on both sides.

Comment

hmmm.. i want to try this one out..
                If you show your head then your dead....

Comment

Well, there is a Mortar on its way to ACE.

Screenshot from tonights artillery(laser marker not needed, I just used it for optics):

And yes, pvp with artillery/mortar would be very interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge.PT View Post
                    I only say this, because I personally wouldn't like to be artillery gunner for a whole mission, and it would be hard to get volunteers for each artillery piece.
                    Back when I played with call911 on his server, there was a group of players who always lifted d30 up to a high mountaintop and used them as artillery. Every time I logged in, there were people coordinating fire missions. On the TG servers and forums (BI forums too) I've seen a lot of interest in man portable, player operated artillery. I'm not especially interested in being arty gunner myself, but I think enough people are - and, as others have mentioned it's a pretty glaring omission from a combined arms infantry simulation which goes so far as to include supersonic jets.

Comment

Its different to be a gunner in direct fire, and in indirect fire.

We already had mortars in at least one mission here at TG and I don't remember anyone staying more then 1 min manning them... only time will tell if people really are available to do this. But if we only needed one artillery gunner to control all the pieces, I'm sure there will be a volunteer always, and that's what I'm trying to defend from the beginning of the thread.

EDIT: Now days the target acquisition for the artillery pieces is in GPS and the Firing data is calculated by computers, so the gunners only really need to pull the string.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge.PT View Post
                        Its different to be a gunner in direct fire, and in indirect fire.

We already had mortars in at least one mission here at TG and I don't remember anyone staying more then 1 min manning them... only time will tell if people really are available to do this. But if we only needed one artillery gunner to control all the pieces, I'm sure there will be a volunteer always, and that's what I'm trying to defend from the beginning of the thread.
                        Because the mortars in that mission sucked and you had no feedback regarding where you were even aiming. Jones' real artillery fixes that.

EDIT: Now days the target acquisition for the artillery pieces is in GPS and the Firing data is calculated by computers, so the gunners only really need to pull the string.
                        Gunners have been mostly focused on the operating the gun vice target acquisition since indirect fire became popular in World War One. Mortars are a bit different, I was fam'ing on M224 (60mm mortar) a few days ago, and they (mortar section leader) were still using paper charge/elevation tables, pencils and maps.

At any rate, even having players manually compute firing data wouldn't be terribly out-of-context, considering the number of (fun) gameplay elements that aren't necessarily realistic.

Comment

Originally posted by Apocal View Post
                          Gunners have been mostly focused on the operating the gun vice target acquisition since indirect fire became popular in World War One. Mortars are a bit different, I was fam'ing on M224 (60mm mortar) a few days ago, and they (mortar section leader) were still using paper charge/elevation tables, pencils and maps.

At any rate, even having players manually compute firing data wouldn't be terribly out-of-context, considering the number of (fun) gameplay elements that aren't necessarily realistic.
                          Apocal I just wrote about the mortars because of that experience, this addon is about "Real Artillery" not mortars, where you are km's away from the target area. And again, my main point from the very beginning is that 1 men should be enough to man all the pieces of artillery that you have available, the others should just replicate what the human gunner is doing. This comes from the fact that very few people would volunteer to man the guns.
                          sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...