Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you like using tanks in coop?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Do you like using tanks in coop?

    I was thinking about making a large(ish) attack mission for coop play. I'm thinking 4 M1A1's (so 8-12 players to crew) plus another 32 players (2 squads of 14 plus 4 man command unit).

    However, I'm not really sure if anyone would want to crew the M1's as I see a few problems

    1) Enemy AI seem to have an unfair advantage in spotting you first.

    2) Working as an affective team in a tank takes practice and more so as a tank platoon and contributing to 1 above.

    3) Other than the gunner, commander and driver don't have as much to do in terms of shooting things

    4) If the tank becomes immobile, can leave tank crews stranded with a long walk.

    I'm sure there are other negative factors but at the same time, I think if you can get a decent tank crew that work together (so commander is delegating targets to the gunner, the driver is communicating with the driver for hull down, the gunner is responsible for being accurate with the main gun and the driver is making sure he keeps the front of the tank toward the enemy, etc)

    So if tanks were to be included, does anyone think they'd want to crew it?

    I like the idea of a large scale battle wher the tanks are engaging enemy tansk whilst the troops are taking on enemy troops.
    26
    Yes, i like the idea of taking on enemy armour
    57.69%
    15
    Not bothered
    15.38%
    4
    Not really as it's not fun or too many negatives
    26.92%
    7
    Jex.


  • #2
    Re: Do you like using tanks in coop?

    I'd like to see more tank action on the server, no Coop for the reason you stated about the AI.Although I would like to see more tank TvT.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Do you like using tanks in coop?

      Not fun for me, just that.
      sigpic

      PR BF2 Alias: NewOrder_JoyDivision

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Do you like using tanks in coop?

        As long as the Arma magic radar is in action it's not that fun in TvT either. It would probably require a separate addon to disable the radar, but then we'd have a winner.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Do you like using tanks in coop?

          I for one don't care for playing any role outside of infantry. That isn't to say that other people don't like tanking. The only reason a tank crew might have problems working together is if they don't know how to use teamwork. Driving won't get you a high score but neither does being a transport pilot or plt commander yet people still fill those roles (high score isn't everything). It would be cool to see tanks in coop missions though as fire support vehicles. Maybe 4 would be over doing it if the enemy has no tanks, but you can balance things how you want. Just because there are tanks, doesn't mean the enemy has to have a ton themselves or any. I think it would be a great idea to see more support vehicles used. Most of the time, commanders opt to not use the resources that are alloted to them for whatever reason but it would be nice to see that change.
          |TG-Irr|LCpl. Soto
          TGULT-Roel Yento

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Do you like using tanks in coop?

            Originally posted by Fincuan View Post
            As long as the Arma magic radar is in action it's not that fun in TvT either. It would probably require a separate addon to disable the radar, but then we'd have a winner.
            Yeah the radar is a killer for me. Even disabled it isn't going to affect the AI tanks I'm thinking of putting in but I want to get away from the players grabbing loads of AT by giving some heavy armour support so the team need to rely on their own tanks to help them out.
            Jex.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Do you like using tanks in coop?

              Originally posted by LCpl. Soto View Post
              I for one don't care for playing any role outside of infantry. That isn't to say that other people don't like tanking. The only reason a tank crew might have problems working together is if they don't know how to use teamwork. Driving won't get you a high score but neither does being a transport pilot or plt commander yet people still fill those roles (high score isn't everything). It would be cool to see tanks in coop missions though as fire support vehicles. Maybe 4 would be over doing it if the enemy has no tanks, but you can balance things how you want. Just because there are tanks, doesn't mean the enemy has to have a ton themselves or any. I think it would be a great idea to see more support vehicles used. Most of the time, commanders opt to not use the resources that are alloted to them for whatever reason but it would be nice to see that change.
              I was thinking of putting in enemy tanks which is why I want to include tanks for the players. 4 tanks make a platoon afaik from playing M1 tank platoon all those years ago lol. However with no thermal imaging, laser sights and the magic radar, perhaps it's not really feasible which is a pity. Anyone know if Arma II has a more realistic vehicle interface?

              I suppose I could include the tanks as AI - off doing there own thing?
              Jex.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Do you like using tanks in coop?

                Originally posted by jex View Post
                I was thinking of putting in enemy tanks which is why I want to include tanks for the players. 4 tanks make a platoon afaik from playing M1 tank platoon all those years ago lol. However with no thermal imaging, laser sights and the magic radar, perhaps it's not really feasible which is a pity. Anyone know if Arma II has a more realistic vehicle interface?

                I suppose I could include the tanks as AI - off doing there own thing?
                If you put in enemy tanks and the enemy tanks have an unfair advantage of auto targetting you before you can notice them, then I'd suggest not giving the enemy an equal number of tanks to balance it out. Having AI friendly tanks would be a bad idea in my opinion. Depending on the mission, i'm sure you could figure out a logical way to have tank vs tank combat without having it obsurdly difficult.
                |TG-Irr|LCpl. Soto
                TGULT-Roel Yento

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Do you like using tanks in coop?

                  Do I like using a tank in CoOp? Sure.
                  Just dont make it to easy to overtake the game from ground troops.
                  We should create a version of blackhawk down where the objective is to rescue a disabled M1A2 and her crew from the main highway of avghani.
                  Have 1-3 survivors in the tank. Surrounded by destroyed strykers and HMMWV.
                  Mission requires 5-35 Infantry escorting an engineer (same as engineer class in Domination) to the tank using Bradley's.
                  This is how I see it.
                  1. Friendlies start at camp Sykes.
                  2. Friendlies fights thier way to the roundabout to the South edge of the city (make it near impossible to go around city limits)
                  3. Friendlies meet up with tank and repair (5 minute repair time)
                  4. Tank comes under fire from advancing elements from the hillside to the East while getting orders to engage enemy convoy heading into the city from Highway to the South. (Tank cannot use main cannon while friendlies are near)
                  5. All hell brakes loose with news of a queen of hearts in a nearby building that must be eliminated.
                  6.After objectives are complete, Friendlies return with M1A2 to camp Sykes.
                  I would also add a local approval percentage like used in the "UN in Bagango" Mission.
                  And yes, I am aware of a mission kinda like it on Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. But that's where the beauty is.. Arma can make that mission SO much better.
                  ___________________________________
                  Proud Member of the TG PATHFINDERS

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Do you like using tanks in coop?

                    Dont mind, it is kind of fun if you got a good driver/gunner to chat it up with but the driver (and to a lesser extent gunner) view absolutely sucks. In no way is it realistic or beneficial to fun gameplay.
                    "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
                    'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

                    "I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Do you like using tanks in coop?

                      I usually variate between the commander and driver seat when Im not the gunner.

                      Playername Sparks444 in BF2

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Do you like using tanks in coop?

                        OK I think I've got enough opinions so thanks everyone. Even though the votes seem to indicate more people would like tanks, I think that since we have no real comments supporting that view and the fact that the negative far outweighs the positive, I see no reason to include tanks for Blufor.

                        In fact with the magic radar, is there any possible way to conduct vehicle on vehicle attacks? Even if I use Humvee's with TOW's it won't help much will it as the magic radar will still pick you up. I need to do some testing I think but this sucks as it makes using vehicles too risky when in fact they're meant to give you an advantage.
                        Jex.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Do you like using tanks in coop?

                          thought about making a mission where players had to escort an AI tank colum through an enemy infested city..the tanks would have a radio trigger at each waypoint that would move them to the next waypoint and the players would have to defend the tanks by clearing the way ahead of enemy infantry and the players could fall back to the tanks for fire support if needed

                          but decided the AI is just too stupid and would end up killing players with the new ace mod



                          Fate whispers to the warrior "You will not survive the storm."
                          The warrior whispers back, "I AM the storm."

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Do you like using tanks in coop?

                            Originally posted by jex View Post
                            OK I think I've got enough opinions so thanks everyone. Even though the votes seem to indicate more people would like tanks, I think that since we have no real comments supporting that view and the fact that the negative far outweighs the positive, I see no reason to include tanks for Blufor.

                            In fact with the magic radar, is there any possible way to conduct vehicle on vehicle attacks? Even if I use Humvee's with TOW's it won't help much will it as the magic radar will still pick you up. I need to do some testing I think but this sucks as it makes using vehicles too risky when in fact they're meant to give you an advantage.
                            Well I kept trying to explain that it would be nice to have tank support as Bluefor. The only negative is if you want the AI that has a magic radar to have tanks or have lots of them. Like I said, if the enemy AI has a bunch of tanks, then the mission will have an issue, but tanks can be used for more than just killing other tanks. Why not give the enemy some other vehicles the tanks could shoot at? Tanks can also be used to support infantry by shelling the heck out of a heavily defended objective. If your only goal is for tank vs tank combat that is evenly matched or bluefor is outnumbered, then I guess your plan to include them would have too many negatives. As I tried to stress though, tanks on bluefor could still be an assett if you don't strictly go by those guidlines.
                            |TG-Irr|LCpl. Soto
                            TGULT-Roel Yento

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Do you like using tanks in coop?

                              I thought you said, "Do you like using tanks on cops?"

                              [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AcVSEY2DP0[/media]
                              Become a supporting member!
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!
                              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

                              Comment

                              Connect

                              Collapse

                              TeamSpeak 3 Server

                              Collapse

                              Advertisement

                              Collapse

                              Twitter Feed

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X