Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding north using watch

Hi

I quickly tried this, seemed to work, Used my own player shadow and aligned hour needle to it. Then half between hour needle and 12 is either north/south line. Sun is in south at 12 noon. no more compass needed ;)

Re: Finding north using watch

While a watch could indeed work as a compass in a tough spot, it won't ever replace them. why? Because a compass is much more precise then a watch ever will be and because in some country that use daylight savig, your hour change depending on the time of the year, hence you direction will be off by a few dozen degrees. I guess if you had a mission where you were lost and only had your watch, it could come in handy, but... that's actually a good idea. Nice find btw, makes you wonder why they put so much effort in having a proper rotation of the sun and moon, but didn't bother to put in Comms that weren't as convoluted as an epiliptic child.

Comment

One of the best missions if OFP was the mission where you had to find your way out of a forest, at night and without compass. You had to use stars for navigation. That was something I've yet to see in Arma :)

Comment

Now that sounds like a great idea for a mission. Something along the lines of that one rescue pilot mission, but more people.

Comment

OFP had less stars as far as I recall as compared to ArmA.
          Finding the Northstar and the bigdipper might be abit of a problem. (Arma is on the northern hemisphere)

Fincuan,

That was my favourite missions in OFP. I always wanted to make an MP version but finding the stars were a nigtmare. Maybe I'll try again, with a double dose of java.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

I've had to try the celestial nav on the Afghan map before. Whilst not terribly accurate, it does work enough to keep you heading in more or less the right direction. I'll have to mess about with the watch bit next time I'm in game.

-BoD
            BarnacleofDoom

One shot - One miss!

Comment

There is something very, very wrong with us. : )

Comment

Yep this is also how to compensate for daylight savings or North or South Hemisphere:

Determine if you are in the northern or southern hemisphere.
                In the northern hemisphere:
                1 - Hold the watch horizontal.
                2 - Point the hour hand in the direction of the sun.
                3 - Bisect the angle between the hour hand and the twelve o'clock mark to get the north-south line (substitute 1 o'clock mark during daylight savings time). North will be the direction further from the sun.

In the southern hemisphere:
                1 - Hold the watch horizontal.
                2 - Point twelve o'clock in the direction of the sun.
                3 - Bisect the angle between the hour hand and the twelve o'clock mark to get the north-south line.
                North will be the direction closer to the sun, south the other way.

It's an old technique most useful if you end up in a disaster situation with no supplies and in the middle of the crap somewhere! Sam thing as looking for moss on tree's as this normally grows on the North facing side of a tree...
                BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

mispost.
                  Last edited by Zedic; 12-04-2009, 11:46 PM. Reason: Mispost

Pro Patria

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse