Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Afghanistan- Role Playing Scenarios

Greetings fellow gamers,

My name is John and I live near Ft. Bragg, NC where I work as a cultural role player, Opposing force agressor, and at times I help out with Robin Sage (SF Operators final evolution durring he Q course here in "Pine Land"). I am currently working on a mission that I think will be enjoyable if done correctly and played out correctly with players on here who are looking for something new. I am sure there are plenty of missions on here where you SF team must go in, and destroy a target, kill bad guys, ect...well thats all fine and dandy but that is not the Primary mission of a SF Team or ODA (Operational Detachment Alpha). The mission of an ODA is to work with the locals to assist them in training, experience, and to collaborate with local military officals on missions. Their mission is to work with, train, and go out on limited missions with the locals to help them locate, close with and destroy the enemy, gain intel, capture prisoners, and basic Civil Affairs type missions of helping the local people rise above their opressors, hence their motto "Liberate the Oppressed"

The mission(s) I am working on will require everyone to play roles, from ODA members, to Local Soldiers being trained by the ODAs, Village cheifs, Opposing Forces, and most imporant the Civillians. Depending on how the leader of the ODA works with the people will determine if people are friendly to the ODA, hostile to the ODA, or just distant from the "Foreigners". The mission of the detachment commander will be to gain the respect of the "freedom fighters" and to aide them on various missions that the ODA will have to complete, such as seek and destroy, gather intel, give out MREs...ect.

There will be different roles for each mission I make, and people will be given a script to use over the text or voice control...so the ODA commander is actually speaking to a real human, who has the ability to make his own decisions. It will basically be run like a military excerise, only in a setting of a real world situation. It will require gamers to be open to the idea of not running and gunning, but actually doing the mission real green berets do everyday.

So far, I have not started the mission editing process, for fear that I Will not get the response I hope for in working on the mission...IE finding people who will play out the role. I think this type of mission would be great for the sunday games, and it will give players a uniqe opportunity to do something different!

The Roles for the ODA will be limited to 6 Slots, the rest will be freedom fighters, civillians, opfor, and maybe some slots for pilots should the mission require air suppot. There will be NO AI, sans maybe a few civillians to add to the confusion...and people will be given "roles" they must stick to.

Example of what a role might be:

(civillian role)Al Sayed- 21 years old, born in Pakistan durring the Soviet-Afghan war. Came to afghanistan (were your parents are from) to join the Norhern Alliance. You are unsure how you feel about the presence of Americans in your country, and you have not joined the Northern Alliance yet. You have the ability to go between the lines and work with whomever you like. You can offer to help the Americans by showing them where weapons are hidden or were the Taliban cheif is, or aid the Taliban by walking the Americans and their Afghan Cohorts into a deadly ambush.

(Something to keep in mind, every man in afghanistan is armed, with a minium of an AK-47, which means the ODA and Northern Alliance will have the same difficult mission of their real world counter-parts in figuring out exactly who the bad guys are...mess up and call an Air Strike on a bunch of Civillians...they might turn into Taliban. Also there may be tribal disputes where both sides are wrong and both sides want justice...and the ODA will have to make a judgement call.)

This will of course require an open mind, a little play acting, a lot of role playing, and patience. Missions could take extended peroids of time to play depnding on the scenario.

The hardest roles will be that of the ODA, they have to tell who is bad, who is lying, who is telling the truth, who is friendly, where IEDs might be, all while leading a band of Afghan fighters to their fates.

What I need:

Mission Makers (to help me out)
    Role Players
    Dedicated Players
    Help and Support
    Agressors
    Team Speak Server

Those who wish to be ODA will have to pass a screening by way of a test and the 1st 6 who pass will be placed on probation as the ODA and will be required to work together on a few missions to get cohesive. This is not going to be a simple mission...this will be quite complex and very involved.

Agressors will fight like the Taliban and will only do what is scripted for them to do...is is imporant they do what they are told via myself.

I will be playing the role of the Village Elder/Cheif and I will hop from various channels on team speak.

I have most of the logstics worked out, like how people will communicate with each other...and ect. It will take some time to iron out, some wargaming, and testing so please be patient. I hope I get the support I feel like I will on this undertaking.

So I now open the floor for everyone to cuss and discuss my proposal and tell m what you guys think. I woud like to seek formal help from the Tactical Gamer team on this idea because it will need quite a bit of support and effort on a lot of peoples parts.

Re: Afghanistan- Role Playing Scenarios

Having recently watched the film Full Battle Rattle which documents a similar scripted military training operation I must say that I am intrigued.
    However, I will impart some of my past experiences in hopes of emphasizing some of what I think might but won't necessarily happen.
    -Human nature, in general I have been disappointed with the inability to achieve quasi-'role-playing' on the ARMA servers. In general if someone is given a helicopter it has generally proven unlikely enough coordination can be achieved to accurately put supporting fire on the enemy. Instead the air asset is much more likely to charge headstrong into the objective and try to destroy individual targets autonomous of commanders. To me this is indicative of a fundamental problem underlying such a concept, there is no guarantee people will act realistically or even within the confines of their role. Obviously, if this were held in an event-like scenario members could be kicked if they failed to fulfill their scripted roles. However, such a punishment would probably be after the fact, after the game had been unduly disrupted.
    -Stooges, in my experience, although tempting for a mission maker, missions to simply tell a side to do a specific thing (merely acting as enhanced AI) while the other side out maneuvers them is extremely tiresome for that team. In regular play there is always the opportunity to switch sides. So you fulfill your specific if not tedious objectives only to ensure that when you are on the opposing and more interesting side the other side will take their roles as seriously as you took yours. But, in the situation you explained the blufor would be fixed to the same six players, thus voiding the 'contract'. Moreover, missions that tell one side to ambush at a specific point (instead of destroy the enemy force or components thereof generally) remove much of the planning and strategy and instead turn into a 'gamey' exploitation of the definition of 'ambush', 'specific point',ect.

Indeed it is a paradox to have an open-ended mission which implies free choice for the leadership and subunits in strategy and a realistic mission whereby players abide by military doctrine which severely limits the number of tactics to those that might be realistically invoked.

That said, it is an interesting idea if enough people take their responsibilities seriously and I'd could help as a mission maker if needed.

Comment

I agree Sam, and I forsee the problems, the good thing about this concept is the ammount of time, planing, and training it will take to actually acheive the whole spectrum it might help "weed out" non-belivers.

Since roles will be asigned before hand, and people will have time to work with the teams, be it agressors, ODA, Civillians...ect it might prevent the bull**** from happening. Plus I was didnt know you could switch sides ingame, thus people could play multiple roles, IE a Villager who is begging for food and water can move over to being an agressor when he is done with his "mission". Am I understanding that correcty? Forgive me but I was a mission maker in OFP and I just recently got ArmA so I am sure there is plenty I dont know about...

I think it is possible, but it will only work if people are willing to let it happen. At the end of he day, there will be no clear winner or loser as far as that goes...there will be those who are dead and those who are still alive...the war keeps going.

Comment

Since roles will be asigned before hand, and people will have time to work with the teams, be it agressors, ODA, Civillians...ect it might prevent the bull**** from happening. Plus I was didnt know you could switch sides ingame, thus people could play multiple roles, IE a Villager who is begging for food and water can move over to being an agressor when he is done with his "mission". Am I understanding that correcty? Forgive me but I was a mission maker in OFP and I just recently got ArmA so I am sure there is plenty I dont know about...
        It could be done I think. With a team status script. But, again anyway I can imagine doing it, it would be rife for exploitation.

I think you're right though, the key is dedicated and educated individuals,of which there are plenty around here. So, such a mission would be possible although it might stretch the tactical in TG to a point I rarely see it (which would be good, but perhaps difficult!).

Comment

Well I am dedicated to the idea, and im working out some stuff right now and wargaming it out...of course I will try and make the 1st misson as simple as possible. I was messing with the LoBo Afghanistan/Taliban addons and they are perfect for the scenarios, but thats the only extra addos i am using outside of what the TG server has.

I really do want to make this happen, and I see it being very much a reality if people get on board. Thanks for your support though...it only takes 1 person to get things started...and we have 2.

Comment

Well, I really love your idea here Abshire, and I would love to take part and help you anyway I can. Im not much of a mission maker but I am an avid RPer and dedicated ArmA player. I would be willing to assist you with that anytime you need it. =)

Cheers
            "Learn to obey before you command"
            - Solon of Athens
            "Ah! The generals! They are numerous but not good for much!"
            - Aristophanes

Comment

I think this is an interesting idea. What kind of time commitment are you thinking about Abshire?
              Seeken

Comment

Well it would take a couple of weeks I would imagine to get the people ready for their prospectve roles, and the 1st actual mission would be basically a "test" of this theory I have...so its hard for me to put a time limit on it...my guess would be a few hours...2-3 depending on how things work.

I mean realistically...if the ODA takes massive casulties they should call for a 9 line medevac and get the hell out of there because hey are compromised....so it all just depends. Since the scenario would be linear it can be played a few times with differnt results.

Comment

GUYS.. WE CAN DO IT! As I was reading his initial post, I was thinking and I know we could put together some simple scenarios... Without much time or planning needed.. In fact I feel 100% that we could structure the briefing, map, player hints etc. to really make some cool scenarios. with a touch of random in it! We got enough players.

LETS DO IT.

We don't have to be too complex. WE can start simple and get our feet wet. This could REALLY be fun. I can see it.

I'm head of the MISSION DEVELOPMENT TEAM here now. (in case you didn't know, seriously). I am now accepting offers to players and involvement in developing our first, simple, role playing scenario.
                  Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton.

Comment

This idea sounds similar to the golden eagle mission (i think it is called that) but it seems a lot more in-depth and more structured than golden eagle, I would love to see this idea fabricate into a nice Sunday event. I reckon it is possible and you can use some respawn scripts for the players who have just done a mission and swap to aggressors but you would need to limit lives as well so once you done begging for food like in your example, simply disconnect, swap role to opfor and select new role.
                    Gregos also known as Sir Jones

"War can only be abolished through war, and in order to get rid of the gun it is necessary to take up the gun." - Mao Zedong

Comment

I offer my somewhat limited mission making abailities

Fate whispers to the warrior "You will not survive the storm."
                      The warrior whispers back, "I AM the storm."

Comment

This is an incredible idea. I'd love to participate in one of the roleplaying slots.

Comment

Originally posted by Gillespie View Post
                          This is an incredible idea. I'd love to participate in one of the roleplaying slots.
                          Dido
                          |TG-73rd|Socomseal
                          |TG-73rd Member| Former TG Irregular ArmA Platoon Leader| Former TG ArmA Admin XO| TG Pathfinder - Spartan 1 |TGU ArmA Instructor |Former TG-18th Member| |Former TG-1st Member|

"Its easy to argue about issues from afar. But until you have experienced the issue first hand, you have not seen all the facts."

Carver you will be cut off for a long time before reinforcements can reach you "I am the reinforcements the main force is only coming to bring me body bags and to clean up the mess Im about to make" - General Carver

Comment

Hey I'd be happy to do this kind of thing in ArmA. As a Garry's Mod Roleplayer I can sure switch roleplaying as a civilian in afghanistan under control by the Americans just like a civilian in City 17 under control by Combines ;). It'd be a new experience for me especially. Give me a history book and I'll get to work on it!

As long as there is man there will be wars-Albert Einstein

No man,No problem-Josef Stalin

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Hoy View Post
                              -Human nature, in general I have been disappointed with the inability to achieve quasi-'role-playing' on the ARMA servers. In general if someone is given a helicopter it has generally proven unlikely enough coordination can be achieved to accurately put supporting fire on the enemy. Instead the air asset is much more likely to charge headstrong into the objective and try to destroy individual targets autonomous of commanders. To me this is indicative of a fundamental problem underlying such a concept, there is no guarantee people will act realistically or even within the confines of their role. Obviously, if this were held in an event-like scenario members could be kicked if they failed to fulfill their scripted roles. However, such a punishment would probably be after the fact, after the game had been unduly disrupted.
                              I allways use specialty roles when I am commander, be it armoured vehicles, air support, or snipers. I also don't have problems with players not listening. Most people will listen if given instructions and the reason why so many issues come up because of these roles is because the commander doesn't know how to instruct the support roles. If you end up with someone filling one of these roles and they mess the mission up, well either the commander didn't instruct them on their ROE or they just don't listen and would of messed things up as infantry too by not listening.

In general, if you have played with the person before, and you know they are team players, then you won't have any issues with air support or the like. If it is someone you don't know and never played with before.... Well they could be dangerouse with an AH-64 or an AT-4, you don't know. So for Sunday events I don't think players would be an issue. You probably won't be doing these roleplaying scenarios during public play with random people so again, this shouldn't be an issue. Only time's I have had or seen an issue with pilots or snipers not listening is during pubbing with people I haven't ever played with.
                              |TG-Irr|LCpl. Soto
                              TGULT-Roel Yento

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...