Return of the Sniper....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Return of the Sniper....

A very interesting article on how the modern sniper is making a comeback as a key weapon in Afghanistan....

Very Interesting! Good reading if you have a coffee break!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...n-1727300.html

BD1
    BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Re: Return of the Sniper....

Interesting.... We should use true sniper teams more.
    |TG|Ghost02
    TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

Thanks for the link. Was a good read.

Find it kind'a interesting though that they mention the two most famous Russian snipers from WW2 in the article (plus the obvious-to-mention Hathcock), but they failed to mention Simo Häyhä who arguably is the greatest sniper of the last century.

Comment

I need to learn how to do this in arma
        |TG|Ghost02
        TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

What I would appreciate more in Arma is that they use their skill sets to relay intel back to the CO. Their trigger rate will fall 2nd in my list.

A good find & read BD, cheers.

TGU Instructor · TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean · Former ARMA Admin · Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Totally agree with you LowSpeed. A sniper's ability to observe and relay information is most often a hundred times more worth than the impact of his bullets.

Comment

A useful sniper would definitely have to be trained though. And would always need a partner.

Comment

Originally posted by blibblob View Post
                A useful sniper would definitely have to be trained though. And would always need a partner.
                Thats what they say the difference is between a sniper and a marksmen, a sniper can shoot and stay hidden after two shots and still move around undetected. Actual snipers also hardly ever get to engage unless high value target mainly just used for past enemy line recon (though insurgent game makes it so snipers have very different mission).

I've seen a crazy video of an insurgent sniper though taking down 6 guys within 12 seconds.. I'll try and find it if I can. I think a sniper would instill more fear in someone than a JDAM. JDAM you know it cost them a lot of money to drop and another one probably wont be coming down again for awhile, a sniper though is pretty much the ultimate direct enemy (cheap, hidden, efficient).
                "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
                'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

I would suggest to some to read a book called "The Gamble" A minor example/mention of the use of sniper teams are in there.
                  It is also a great read.

TGU Instructor · TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean · Former ARMA Admin · Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Originally posted by LowSpeedHighDrag View Post
                    What I would appreciate more in Arma is that they use their skill sets to relay intel back to the CO. Their trigger rate will fall 2nd in my list.

A good find & read BD, cheers.
                    I prefer the intel sniper, myself. They were always my favorite people when I commanded in battle field 2

Comment

I did a good job of recreating sniper activity yesterday in tvt sam hoys convoy map, Although I had no spotter I took position near a fallen tree about 900-1000m from the convoy route.

When the convoy was attacked by rockets I shot 3 blufor that had run from there humvee's and had taken refuge in a nearby churchground, 3 one shot one kills.

Afterwards I crawled back into the forest and retreated further north towards the convoy objective.

A sniper does not need a spotter if you are effectively "Camping" an area, The main use for a spotter is to spot targets in a wider area (if you dont know where the enemy is) also the ability to see muzzle flashes/smoke of enemy snipers in a wider area and ofc to provide protection to the sniper when relocating.

I would not say a Spotter was essential for most engagements in arma however.

NB I would also like to add that the SVD is a marksman weapon (700m effective range) not a sniper weapon that most insurgents employ it as. Russian snipers use there own bolt action rifle the http://rusguns.net/?SNIPER_RIFLES/SV-98_sniper_rifle
                      Last edited by Inq; 07-27-2009, 12:23 PM.

Comment

I have a friend who is Marine Recon and he has remarkable stories about snipers in Afpack.

Raddik

Comment

If I was a sniper, I would be better off throwing rocks. I have never shot further than about 125 yards.
                          Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton.

Comment

Originally posted by GeneralCarver View Post
                            If I was a sniper, I would be better off throwing rocks. I have never shot further than about 125 yards.
                            Rangecards make all the diffrence. I can make 1500 yard shots with the m107.
                            |TG|Ghost02
                            TG Pathfinder

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost02 View Post
                              Rangecards make all the diffrence. I can make 1500 yard shots with the m107.
                              Ahhh yes...but can you do it when it counts.....!?! I had this the other day as an example....

me: "So you have the target?
                              person: "yes"
                              me: "The AGS 30....in your sights yes?"
                              person: "yes"
                              me: "I want one shot to the head, is that ok?"
                              person: "copy one shot to the head ..yes..."
                              me: "Ok....fire.."
                              person: "copy....."
                              me: "FIRE"
                              person: "copy..( Shoots - bang.....miss.....bang....miss...bang....hit)"
                              me: "so what happened to the single shot to the head?"
                              person: ...."er..." silence.......

Nuff said.... ;)

When your SL calls for a single shot to the head of an enemy target.....MAKE SURE you can hit the target with a single shot to the head... others in the squad may be counting on this...if not......DONT take a sniper rifle.....in ArmA2 at TG!

;)
                              BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse