Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zedic's radio procedure guide.

Ladies and Gentleman,

My name is Zedic and I was just browsing these forums and discovered the debriefing thread. I read that someone requested that we need to improve our communication over TS, In-Game, and Mumble for those that use it. Therefore, I will post my own adaptation of real Military Radio Procedure that I have developed over years for use in games such as this. So far in my time this has been the most effective use of communication I have come across and have had many tournaments and armys (online) I was in command of adopt, utilize, and most importantly win because of effective communication. So....lets get it started.

RADIO PROCEDURE

Table of Contents

1. The Basics of Communication
    a. Introduction
    b. ABCs of Communications
    c. Information Filtering

2. Components of All Radio Transmissions
    a. Callsigns
    b. Initiating Traffic
    c. Message
    d. Ending Traffic

3. Types of Frequencies and Proper Utilization (TS/I-G)
    a. In-Game Communications
    b. Teamspeak

4. Reports and Returns
    a. RADIO CHECK
    b. MESSAGE

c. SITREP (Situation Report)
    d. LOCSTAT (Location Status/Report)
    e. CONTACT REPORT
    f. REQUEST FOR SUPPLIES
    g. REQUEST FOR TRANSPORT (APC/Helicopter)
    h. REQUEST FOR REINFORCEMENT/SUPPORT
    i. REQUEST FOR CLOSE AIR SUPPORT (Helicopter)
    j. REQUEST FOR CLOSE AIR SUPPORT (Fixed Wing)
    k. REQUEST FOR DIRECT FIRE (Tanks/APCs)
    l. REQUEST FOR IN-DIRECT FIRE/FIREMISSION (Squad leader to Forward Observer or Artillery)
    m. REQUEST FOR IN-DIRECT FIRE/FIREMISSION (Forward Observer to Artillery)

5. Common Callsigns To Be Used for PR (Subject to Change on COs Order)
    a. Disclaimer
    b. List of Callsigns

6. Prowords

7. In Closing

The Basics of Communication

a. Introduction

This Tutorial is designed to give you a basic understanding of Military Radio Procedure without getting too indepth. It is meant as a tool to be used and enhance your playing experience, as well optimize the Communication amongst your Team or Group. I have customized this particular version so that it is more useful in ARMA2 and I hope you learn the valuable information therein. Take notes on specific 'Reports and Returns' (perhaps even write it on a 'post it' and stick it on the side of your monitor for quick reference....yes I've done that once....), and the only way to get better at anything within this guide is, of course, to "PRACTICE!" Thanks for reading.

b. ABCs of Communications

Now were actually into the real information. The following are the ABC's of Communication.

ACCURACY: It pays to be sure of what your saying. Don't be the fool stuck correcting himself 20 + times just to get a single message out. Always double check your grids. TAKE THE TIME TO THINK OF WHAT TO SAY, DON'T JUST SAY IT! DON'T BE THAT GUY!

BREVITY: No one likes a Chatty Cathy, keep your Traffic brief and to the point. Avoid long winded answers or requests. Again, as stated before, TAKE THE TIME TO THINK OF WHAT TO SAY! CUT THE CRAP OUT, AND GET THE BARE MINIMUM NEEDED FOR THE RECEIVING CALLSIGN TO GET THE MESSAGE!

CLARITY: Now this one is difficult because of Teamspeak, computers, people from all over the world etc. HOWEVER, as best as you can, be clear on what your trying to say. Put the coffee down, take the smoke out, if your dipping spit before you talk, and if English is not your first language then slow down what your saying and speak up.

c. Information Filtering

This point should be straight and forward. Do not send irrelevant information. If you notice a "FRIENDLY SQUAD" on the Objective, DO NOT call it in. Everyone should know its there. Of course tell your squad mates, however do not send that to the 'Commanding Officer'. Be very careful of what you send. The more YOU talk, the less people can hear, and then people get killed cause you wanted to mention how Daddy killed the cat for new Violin strings.

Turn on the filter in your brain. IF, you do not have one here is the solution....DON'T SQUAD LEAD OR COMMAND. Thank you.

Components of All Radio Transmissions
    The following is the rough breakdown of a Transmission so you can understand what goes where and why.

a. Callsigns

Every type of unit, every type of squad, and every type of Command Element has a different Callsign. Just from the Callsign name itself you can usually tell what type of Unit that is, whether its a Mechanized Infantry Squad, or perhaps an Attack Helicopter Squad. They are very important to know so you have an idea of 'whose who in the zoo'. Specific Callsigns types are discussed later in this tutorial, just at this point understand that everyone on the Radio should have a Callsign.

b. Initiating Traffic

When sending Traffic the FIRST thing you should always say is the RECEIVING CALLSIGN. It allows everyone to know whom your trying to contact and thus allowing you two to send Traffic. The SECOND thing you should say is YOUR CALLSIGN.
    (e.g. "INDIA 1, THIS IS INDIA 2.")

If the Receiver hears you, their own acknowledgment is very simple. All they have to say is one of two things. Either the RECEIVING CALLSIGN can say their own Callsign only (e.g. "INDIA 1."), or they can say the proword "SEND" after they've already said their Callsign. (e.g. "INDIA 1, SEND")

This is the most CRUCIAL instance in any Traffic. If the Receiver doesn't know your talking to them they could just quickly be killed by that enemy you attempted to warn them of.

c. Message

The meat and potatoes of any transmission. Once you establish contact with the Callsign you wish to speak to, there are a few things you must remember while keeping in mind the ABCs throughout. The FIRST thing to remember is that BEFORE EACH TRANSMISSION, ENSURE YOU SAY YOUR CALLSIGN!

The SECOND thing to remember is to ensure you say "OVER" at the end of each transmission. In some cases if the end of your sentence is understood then it may not be required, however, saying it is better than not.

(e.g. "WATCHDOG 2, DID YOU GET THAT BACONATOR FROM BURGER KING YET, OVER."
    "WATCHDOG 1, ROGER, OVER."
    "WATCHDOG 2, OK.....WHERES MINE, OVER."
    "WATCHDOG 1, THE DOG ATE IT."
    "WATCHDOG 2, ROGER, YOUR DEAD.")

d. Ending Traffic

The SENDING CALLSIGN is responsible for ending the Transmission. There is only one exception and that is if the Receiver was a higher 'Rank/Position/Command' then that of the Sender. This is very simple, all you must do is at the end of your last message in which you expect no reply from once the Traffic is basically finished, insead of "OVER", just say "OUT". HOWEVER, DO NOT SAY OVER AND OUT! Its just not proper Radio Procedure and is...well.... Dumb.

(e.g."WATCHDOG 1, NEGATIVE, OVER."
    "WATCHDOG 2, YOU WILL BE, OUT.")

Types of Frequencies and Proper Utilization (TS/I-G)

a. In-Game Communications ***NOTE*** THE FOLLOWING WILL BE MORE APPLICABLE ONCE THE IN-GAME VOIP BEGINS TO WORK PROPERLY***

Squad Level Communication is just that. It is the lowest form of communication in game and does not require Callsigns for individuals, just use names of persons within the squad. Although the only point I am going to make with respect Squad Level chat is if the Squad Leader is talking, SHUT UP!

Squad Leader to Commander Communication should be the most commonly used type of any. This is considered the "Lower Means" for all intensive purposes. Speaking directly to the Commander is how 75% of all your communication as a Squad Leader should be. The remaining 25% is there for times when you must use TeamSpeak or the other in-Game channels to coordinate with other Squads and Assets. The following is a list of Reports and Returns that should be sent through the Lower Means to the Commander.
    i. MESSAGE (unless it is to another Squad Leader)
    ii. SITREP
    iii. LOCSTAT
    iv. CONTACT REPORT
    v. REQUEST FOR SUPPLIES
    vi. REQUEST FOR TRANSPORT (APC/Helicopter (Initial Request just to get things going, remaining coordination done directly to Pilots via TEAMSPEAK))
    vii. REQUEST FOR REINFORCEMENT/SUPPORT
    viii. REQUEST FOR CLOSE AIR SUPPORT (Initial Request just to get things going, remaining coordination done directly to Pilots via TEAMSPEAK)

b. Teamspeak

Teamspeak is the primary Support and Asset Coordination means. This is refered to as "HIGHER MEANS" because on it you can get a hold of all the Squad Leaders and the Air Assets. Keeping in mind that everyone can hear your Traffic, the ABCs of Communication have never been more important, so keep your Communications approapriate.

The following "REPORTS AND RETURNS" are recommended for Teamspeak use, however a preliminary message to the Commander (unless you are under fire) is advised prior to sending it.
    i. REQUEST FOR TRANSPORT (APC/Helicopter)
    ii. REQUEST FOR REINFORCEMENT/SUPPORT
    iii. REQUEST FOR CLOSE AIR SUPPORT (Helicopter)
    iv. REQUEST FOR CLOSE AIR SUPPORT (Fixed Wing)
    v. REQUEST FOR DIRECT FIRE (Tanks/APCs)

vi. REQUEST FOR IN-DIRECT FIRE (Artillery)

Reports and Returns
    The Real Information

a. RADIO CHECK

USED FOR CONFIRMING RADIO STATUS. CAN BE USED FOR INDIVIDUAL CALLSIGNS OR COLLECTIVE.

INDIVIDUAL:

"WARRIOR 1, THIS IS WARRIOR 2, RADIO CHECK, OVER?"
    "WARRIOR 2, LOUD AND CLEAR, OVER."
    "WARRIOR 1, LOUD AND CLEAR, OUT."

COLLECTIVE:

"ALL CALLSIGNS, THIS IS NINER, RADIO CHECK, OVER?"
    **NOTE** On an all CALLSIGNS you can just say your callsign HOWEVER you report in the Alphabetical order, or based on the order of march, or based on how the Commander sets it.
    "WARRIOR 1."
    "WARRIOR 2."
    "WARRIOR 3."
    "TANGO 1."
    "TANGO 2."
    "DUST-OFF FLIGHT."
    "VADER FLIGHT."
    "SHOWTIME 1."
    "DARKSTAR 4."
    "ALL CALLSIGNS, NINER, LOUD AND CLEAR, OUT.

b. MESSAGE

USED FOR SENDING LONG MESSAGES. PROWORD "MESSAGE" IS SAID PRIOR TO BEING SENT.

"WARRIOR 1, THIS IS COWBOY 2, MESSAGE, OVER?"
    "WARRIOR 1, SEND."
    "COWBOY 2, BLOGGINS NEEDS TO GO, HIS COOKIES ARE BURNING IN THE OVEN, OVER"
    "WARRIOR 1, ROGER, LOSER...."
    "COWBOY 2, OUT."

c. SITREP (Situation Report)

SITUATION REPORTS SHOULD BE SENT EVERY 10-20 MINUTES. THE FOLLOWING IS THE FORMAT

PARA A: INITIATE TRAFFIC WITH RECEIVING CALLSIGN
    PARA B: SEND GRID OF SQUAD LOCATION AND DISPLACEMENT (e.g. spread out 50m east to west, or holding on building etc.)
    PARA C: CURRENT SITUATION AT GRID (We are moving through, we are holding here, we are defending this position, we are staging for attack, we are receiving no enemy in area and are secure etc)
    PARA D: OWN ACTIONS (What do you plan on doing)
    PARA E: ADMINISTRATIVE POINTS (Do you need anything? Ammo? Medical? Supplies? Reinforcements? Etc?)

A SITREP WILL LOOK LIKE THIS:

"COMMAND THIS IS SQ 3, SITREP, OVER."
    "COMMAND SEND."
    "SQ 3, GRID B6 K8, CENTERED ON GRID AND SPREAD NORTH-WEST TO SOUTH-EAST 40 METERS, BREAK."
    "SQ 3, WE ARE OBSERVING A POSSIBLE ENEMY WEAPONS CACHE AND ENEMY INFANTRY IN AREA OF GRID C6 K9, BREAK."
    "SQ 3, WILL ADVISE IF COME UNDER CONTACT BUT MY INTENT IS TO HOLD FIRM, BREAK."
    "SQ 3, REQUEST HELICOPTER RECON OF POSSIBLE ENEMY CACHE ON FORE-MENTIONED GRID, HOW COPY?"
    "COMMAND, SOLID COPY ON ALL, REFERENCE REQUEST, WAIT, OUT."

d. LOCSTAT (Location Status/Report)

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT IN THE MORE DIFFICULT GAME MODES. WITHOUT KNOWING HOW TO DO A LOCSTAT, COMMAND MAY BE UNABLE TO PROPERLY COORDINATE ASSETS

PARA B: SEND GRID OF POSITION AND DISPLACEMENT
    PARA C: SEND GRID OF INTENDED DESTINATION

A LOCSTAT WILL LOOK LIKE THIS:

"COMMAND, WARRIOR 2, LOCTSTAT, OVER."
    "COMMAND, SEND."
    "WARRIOR 2, MY LOC (Location), GRID 0898 1155, MOVING WEST TO GRID 0884 1161, OVER?"
    "COMMAND, ROGER."
    "WARRIOR 2, ROGER, OUT."

e. CONTACT REPORT

**NOTE** WITH A CONTACT REPORT YOU NEED TO GATHER YOUR INFORMATION QUICKLY SO YOU CAN SEND IT ASAP. THE INITIAL MESSAGE SENT TO COMMANDER IS A "CONTACT, WAIT, OUT" WHILE YOU SORT YOURSELF OUT.

PARA B: SEND GRID OF ENEMY POSITION AND TARGET DESCRIPTION, SEND SUBSEQUENT GRIDS AND DESCRIPTIONS AS REQUIRED
    PARA C: YOUR ACTIONS/INTENT.
    PARA D: REQUIRED SUPPORT

A CONTACT REPORT WILL LOOK LIKE THIS:

"COMMAND, SQ 1, CONTACT, WAIT, OUT."
    "COMMAND, SEND."
    *Squad 1 gathers information and is ready to send*
    "WARRIOR 1, CONTACT, GRID 0986 1456, 1 TIMES ENEMY SQUAD ON POSITION, BREAK,"
    "WARRIOR 1, GRID 0983 1443, 1 TIMES ENEMY TANK AND APC, BREAK."
    "WARRIOR 1, TARGETS ARE STATIONARY AND FIRING ON OUR POSITION, BREAK."
    "WARRIOR 1, MY SQUAD IS HOLDING FIRM AND ENGAGING THE ENEMY INFANTRY WHILE MOVING OUT OF VIEW OF THE ARMOUR, BREAK."
    "WARRIOR 1, REQUEST CLOSE AIR SUPPORT ON ENEMY ARMOUR AT FORE-MENTIONED GRID, WILL LAZE ON CALL, OVER?"
    "COMMAND, SOLID COPY ON ALL, VADER 3'2 IS ON STATION AND BEING DISPATCHED TO YOU NOW, ETA 45 SECONDS, LAZE NOW, OVER."

And subsequent messages will follow, but then this becomes a CAS request. The CONTACT REPORT is over.

f. REQUEST FOR SUPPLIES

PARA B: SEND GRID OF SUPPLY DROP REQUESTED AND COLOUR OF SMOKE TO MARK POSITION.
    PARA C: LZ (Landing Zone) STATUS (See PROWORDS) AND APPROACH VECTOR (Bearing from which you want the helicopter to come in from)

A SUPPLY REQUEST WILL LOOK LIKE THIS:

"EIGHTBALL, THIS IS SHADOW 4, REQUESTING SUPPLY DROP, OVER?
    *Squad Leader marks rough position on Map with the icons if able*
    "EIGHTBALL, ROGER, SEND."
    "SHADOW 4, GRID 1178 9654, WILL MARK WITH PURPLE SMOKE, BREAK."
    "SHADOW 4, LZ GREEN, APPROACH FROM SOUTH-EAST, HOW COPY?"
    "EIGHTBALL, SOLID COPY ON ALL, SUPPLIES INBOUND, ETA 2 MINUTES."
    "SHADOW 4, 2 MINUTES, ACK, OUT."

g. REQUEST FOR TRANSPORT (APC/Helicopter)

PARA B: SEND GRID OF PICK UP POSITION AND TYPE OF MARKING (On the Squad Leader, West side of Building, on smoke, etc. Just inform them where to land if necessary)
    PARA C: LZ (Landing Zone) STATUS (See PROWORDS) AND APPROACH VECTOR (Bearing from which you want the helicopter to come in from)
    PARA D: HELO IS ON APPROACH AND MARKING LZ WITH SMOKE/FLARE

A REQUEST FOR TRANSPORT [HELICOPTER/APC] LOOKS LIKE THIS:

"COMMAND, KILO 1'1, REQUEST FOR [HELO EXTRACTION/APC PICK-UP], OVER?"
    "COMMAND, ROGER, SEND."
    "KILO 1'1, GRID 125 656, NORTH SIDE OF HILL IN THE VALLEY, BREAK."
    "KILO 1'1, [LZ GREEN, APPROACH FROM WEST/PICK UP POINT SECURE], OVER."
    "COMMAND, ROGER, [HELO INBOUND, CALLSIGN DUST-OFF 1, 50 SECONDS/APC EN ROUTE, ETA 3 MINUTES], OUT."
    "KILO 1'1, ROGER, OUT"
    "KILO 1'1, THIS IS DUST-OFF 1, INBOUND, 1KM, POP SMOKE, OVER?"
    "KILO 1'1, ROGER, PURPLE SMOKE, OVER?"
    "DUST-OFF 1, ROGER, PURPLE SMOKE, OUT."

h. REQUEST FOR REINFORCEMENT/SUPPORT

PARA B: SEND YOUR GRID, AND WHERE YOU NEED SAID REINFORCEMENTS/RENDEVOUS GRID
    PARA C: WHAT THE TASK OF THE REINFORCEMENTS IS
    PARA D: FURTHER COORDINATING INSTRUCTIONS (e.g. Ensure they bring a specific kit, supplies, an extra medic, etc)

A REQUEST FOR REINFORCEMENTS/SUPPORT LOOKS LIKE THIS:

"HITMAN 1, THIS IS ASSASSIN 1, REQUEST FOR INFANTRY SUPPORT OVER?"
    "HITMAN 1, SEND."
    "ASSASSIN 1, MY LOC, GRID 5456 3415, SEND SUPPORT TO MY LOC, BREAK."
    "ASSASSIN 1, HAVE THEM HOLD ON THAT GRID IN AMBUSH FOR ENEMY ARMOUR AND INFANTRY, BREAK."
    "ASSASSIN 1, ENSURE THEY BRING A JAVELIN AND GPMG, HOW COPY?"
    "HITMAN 1, SOLD COPY, REINFORCEMENTS ACQUIRING KIT AND WILL BE EN ROUTE, ETA 6 MINUTES, OUT."

i. REQUEST FOR CLOSE AIR SUPPORT (Helicopter)

PARA B: SEND TARGET GRID, TYPE OF TARGET, AND REQUESTED MUNITIONS FOR TARGET
    PARA C: IF DANGER CLOSE MISSION, SEND GRID OF YOUR LOCATION, MARK YOUR POSITION WITH COLOURED SMOKE
    PARA D: SEND ATTACK VECTOR (Bearing from which you want the helicopter to approach the target) AND CONFIRM IF ENEMY ANTI-AIR VEHICLES ARE IN THE AREA
    PARA E: LAZING THE TARGET ON THE PILOTS COMMAND AND SQUAD LEADER CLEARING HIM HOT.

A REQUEST FOR CLOSE AIR SUPPORT (Helicopter) LOOKS LIKE THIS:

"VADER FLIGHT, THIS IS EMERALD 2, REQUESTING CLOSE AIR SUPPORT, OVER?"
    "EMERALD 2, GO FOR VADER FLIGHT."
    "EMERALD 2, TARGET GRID 0204 1385, 1 TIMES ENEMY ARMOUR, REQUEST HELLFIRE ON TARGET, HOW COPY?"
    "VADER, COPY ALL, TARGET, ENEMY ARMOUR, GRID 0204 1385, OVER."
    "EMERALD 2, ROGER, ATTACK VECTOR SOUTH-EAST TO TARGET, NO ENEMY AAV SITED, OVER?"
    "VADER, ROGER, SOUTH-EAST, IN-BOUND NOW, ETA 1 MINUTE."
    "EMERALD 2, ROGER." *1 Minute passes and they are in area*
    "EMERALD 2, THIS IS VADER, LAZE NOW."
    "EMERALD 2, LAZING NOW *wait for the laze to stick the reply with...* SPOT ON! CLEARED HOT!"
    "VADER, CLEARED HOT."

*After that confirm if target was destroyed and conduct a Battle Damage Assessment (BDA).*

j. REQUEST FOR CLOSE AIR SUPPORT (Fixed Wing)

PARA B: SEND TARGET GRID, TYPE OF TARGET, AND REQUESTED MUNITIONS FOR TARGET
    PARA C: IF DANGER CLOSE MISSION SEND GRID OF YOUR LOCATION, MARK YOUR POSITION WITH COLOURED SMOKE
    PARA D: SEND ATTACK VECTOR (Bearing from which you want the helicopter to approach the target) AND CONFIRM IF ENEMY ANTI-AIR VEHICLES ARE IN THE AREA
    PARA E: LAZING TARGET ON THE PILOTS COMMAND AND SQUAD LEADER CLEARING HIM HOT.

A REQUEST FOR CLOSE AIR SUPPORT (Fixed Wing) LOOKS LIKE THIS:

"DARK STAR (Bomber), THIS IS SHADOW, REQUESTING CLOSE AIR SUPPORT, OVER?"
    "SHADOW, GO FOR DARK STAR."
    "SHADOW, ROGER, TARGET GRID 0308 5464, 1 TIMES ENEMY AAV, REQUEST BOMB, OVER?"
    "DARK STAR, I CONFIRM, GRID 0308 5464, ENEMY AAV, BOMB ARMED, OVER."
    "SHADOW, ROGER, ATTACK VECTOR NORTH-WEST, RECOMMEND DIVE ON TARGET."
    "DARK STAR, WILCO, ETA 30 SECONDS, LAZE NOW."
    "SHADOW, LAZING NOW, *wait for the laze to stick and reply with* SPOT ON, CLEARED HOT!"
    "DARK STAR, CLEARED HOT."
    "BOMBS AWAY."
    "SHADOW, GOOD HIT, TARGET DESTROYED."
    "DARK STAR, TARGET DESTROYED, OUT."

k. REQUEST FOR DIRECT FIRE (Tanks/APCs)

PARA B: SEND GRID OF TARGET, TYPE OF TARGET, AND REQUESTED MUNITIONS FOR TARGET
    PARA C: SEND REFERENCE POINT FOR FIRE (Bearing, building, prominent feature, etc)
    PARA D: CONFIRM SHOTS ON TARGET, IF NOT ADJUST FIRE

A REQUEST FOR DIRECT FIRE LOOKS LIKE THIS:

"TANGO 1'2, THIS IS 4, REQUEST DIRECT FIRE, OVER."
    "TANGO 1'2, SEND."
    "4, GRID 1454 6332, ENEMY INFANTRY, REQUEST [HEAT/HEI-T], OVER?"
    "TANGO 1'2, GRID 1454 6332, ENEMY INFANTRY, ROGER."
    "4, ROGER, LEFT-HAND EDGE OF TREE LINE, SUPPRESS AREA, OVER?"
    "TANGO 1'2, ROGER FIRING NOW."
    "4, ADJUST FIRE SLIGHTLY LEFT."
    "TANGO 1'2, SLIGHTLY LEFT, ROGER."
    "4, ON TARGET."
    "TANGO 1'2, ROGER."
    "4, CHECK FIRE, GOOD SHOOTING, OUT."

l. REQUEST FOR IN-DIRECT FIRE/FIREMISSION (Squad leader to Forward Observer or Artillery)

PARA B: SEND GRID OF TARGET, TYPE OF TARGET AND DISPLACEMENT, AND TYPE OF MISSION (SCREEN, SUPPRESSION, SATURATION)
    PARA C: CONFIRM SHOT
    PARA D: CONFIRM SPLASH, FOLLOWED BY CORRECTIONS AS REQUIRED.

A REQUEST FOR IN-DIRECT FIRE/FIREMISSION LOOKS LIKE THIS:

"STEEL RAIN, THIS IS INDIA 1, REQUEST FIREMISSION, OVER."
    "STEEL RAIN, SEND."
    "INDIA 1, TEN FIGURE GRID 15478 85284, ENEMY INFANTRY SPREAD 50 METERS, REQUEST SUPPRESSION, OVER?"
    "STEEL RAIN, GRID 15478 85284, ENEMY INFANTRY, SUPRESSION, OVER"
    "INDIA 1, ROGER, OVER."
    "STEEL RAIN, 10 ROUNDS, NO DELAY, DISPERSED 75, OVER."
    "INDIA 1, ROGER, OVER."
    "STEEL RAIN, ROGER, OUT."
    "STEEL RAIN, SHOT."
    "INDIA 1, SHOT, OUT"
    "STEEL RAIN, SPLASH."
    "INDIA 1, SPLASH, OUT."

*IF ADJUSTMENT REQUIRED, SEND NEW GRID OR ADJUSTMENT AND PROWORD REPEAT*

"STEEL RAIN, THIS IS INDIA 1, OVER"
    "STEEL RAIN, SEND."
    "INDIA 1, ADJUST FIRE TO TEN FIGURE GRID 15378 85284/ADJUST FIRE 100 WEST, REPEAT, OVER?"
    "STEEL RAIN, GRID 15378 85284/100 WEST, OUT."
    "STEEL RAIN, SHOT."
    "INDIA 1, SHOT, OUT."
    "STEEL RAIN, SPLASH."
    "INDIA 1, SPLASH, OUT."

m. REQUEST FOR IN-DIRECT FIRE/FIREMISSION (Forward Observer to Artillery)

PARA B: SEND GRID OF TARGET, TYPE OF TARGET
    PARA C: SEND TYPE OF MISSION (Timed/Immediate), NUMBER OF ROUNDS/DURATION OF FIRE, TYPE OF ROUNDS, INTERVAL OF FIRE (Delay), AND DISPERSION
    PARA D: CONFIRM SHOT
    PARA E: CONFIRM SPLASH, FOLLOWED BY CORRECTIONS AS REQUIRED.

**NOTE** THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN TIMED AND IMMEDIATE IS WHETHER ITS SUPPRESSION OF TARGET FOR TIME IN SECONDS, OR NUMBER OF ROUNDS. IF YOU WANT AN IMMEDIATE MISSION, JUST GO AHEAD AND SAY AMOUNT OF ROUNDS REQUESTED.

**NOTE**INTERVAL OF FIRE IS TIME BETWEEN EACH ROUND FIRED SO AS TO INCREASE THE LONGEVITY OF A FIREMISSION, BUT NOT THE AMOUNT OF ROUNDS ON TARGET.

A REQUEST FOR IN-DIRECT FIRE LOOKS LIKE THIS:

"STEEL RAIN, THIS IS SLAYER, REQUEST FIREMISSION, OVER."
    "STEEL RAIN, SEND."
    "SLAYER, TEN FIGURE GRID 15478 85284, ENEMY ENCAMPMENT, OVER?"
    "STEEL RAIN, GRID 15478 85284, ENEMY ENCAMPMENT, OVER"
    "SLAYER, ROGER, 12 ROUNDS, HE, NO DELAY, DISPERSED 100, OVER?"
    "STEEL RAIN, 12 ROUNDS, HE, NO DELAY, DISPERSED 100, OVER."
    "SLAYER, OUT."
    "SHOT."
    "SLAYER, SHOT, OUT"
    "SPLASH."
    "SLAYER, SPLASH, OUT."

*IF ADJUSTMENT REQUIRED, SEND NEW GRID OR ADJUSTMENT AND PROWORD REPEAT*

"STEEL RAIN, THIS IS SLAYER, OVER"
    "STEEL RAIN, SEND."
    "SLAYER, ADJUST FIRE [TO TEN FIGURE GRID 15378 85284/ADJUST FIRE 100 WEST], REPEAT, OVER?"
    "STEEL RAIN, [GRID 15378 85284/100 WEST], OUT."
    "SHOT."
    "SLAYER, SHOT, OUT."
    "SPLASH."
    "SLAYER, SPLASH, OUT."

Common Callsigns To Be Used (Subject to Change on COs Order)

a. Disclaimer

The following Callsigns are mostly gathered from movies or other media and are in no way definite Military Callsigns as that would be a breach of operational Security.

b. List of Callsigns

The following Callsigns can have numbers after the name to denote different Squads, e.g. the actual Squad number at the end, but the name just tells the type of Squad. However with vehicles, such as tanks, it is advised to give them two numbers. e.g. With three tanks there Callsigns should be something like "WARPIG 1'1; WARPIG 1'2; WARPIG 1'3, alternatively you can use Letters too; WARPIG 1'ALPHA; WARPIG 1'BRAVO; WARPIG 1'CHARLIE.

INFANTRY - WARRIOR; FOXHOUND; INDIA
    HEAVY WEAPONS SQUAD - HUNTER; TAKEDOWN; LIMA
    MAIN BATTLE TANKS - WARPIG; IRON KNIGHT; TANGO
    ANTI-AIR VEHICLES - VULCAN; STARGAZER; X-RAY
    ARMOURED PERSONNEL CARRIERS - WARHORSE; STRYKER; ZULU
    LIGHT VEHICLES (HMMWV/FAST ATTACK VEHICLES) - MISFIT; BLITZ; VICTOR
    SUPPLY TRUCKS - RHINO; TRUCK; UNIFORM
    TRANSPORT HELICOPTERS - DUST-OFF; SHAKEDOWN; HOTEL
    ATTACK HELICOPTERS - GUNFIGHTER; VADER; WHISKEY
    RECON HELICOPTERS (UH-1Y ETC)- HAWKEYE; AZREAL; OSCAR
    FIXED WING FIGHTER - MAVERICK(Anything from Top Gun); JOKER; YANKEE; SHOWTIME
    FIXED WING BOMBER - DARK STAR; SMOKEY; NOVEMBER
    SNIPERS/RECON - SHADOW; VIPER; SIERRA; ROMEO
    SPECIAL FORCES - EAGLE; RENEGADE; KILO; JULIET
    LOGISTICS - EIGHTBALL; CHECKMATE; BLUEBELL; OSCAR
    COMMANDER - COMMAND; NINER; ZERO; CHAOS; BOSSMAN; CHIEF; GODFATHER

Prowords

General Terms

SAY AGAIN - Say your last transmission as I did not understand it
    ROGER - I understand
    WILCO - Will Comply
    HOW COPY - Did you receive last traffic
    SOLID COPY - I got it, I understand
    GOOD COPY - Same as above
    ACK - Acknowledged
    BREAK - Used to divide up points, use when changing topics, or when your running out of time using the "In-Game" chat.
    SEND - Send your transmission
    MORE TO FOLLOW - More information coming
    I CONTINUE - I am continuing last message
    CONTACT - I am engaged by effective enemy fire
    WAIT - Wait.....
    OVER - My message is complete
    OUT - This transmission is complete
    REPEAT - Repeat last Firemission or Close Air Support Mission
    LOC (Said like the word "LOCK") - Location
    CHECK FIRE - Cease firing
    RV - Rendezvous Location
    ORV - Objective Rendezvous Location, the position to move to the Objective from.
    FIGURES - Numbers to Follow
    OSCAR MIKE - On the Move
    LUP - Lying Up Point

Aircraft Terms

RTB - Returning to Base
    BINGO - Mission fuel spent
    WINCHESTER - Mission ammo spent
    SPOT ON - Target is Lazed
    CLEARED HOT - Aircraft cleared to engage target
    LZ - Landing Zone
    LZ GREEN - Landing Zone Clear and Secure
    LZ YELLOW - Landing Zone is receiving sporadic enemy, move in with caution
    LZ RED - Landing Zone area is in Contact and engaged
    LZ HOT - Helo will not touch down, Enemy in immediate area of Landing Zone

Will edit as I think of things...

In Closing

Thanks for reading, I hope you learned something but this stuff only works if you practice. If you do not know the "Phonetic Alphabet", search for it in Google. I'd also like to recommend that if you want to hear this type of Radio Procedure watch the mini-series "Generation Kill", some great examples to follow.

Lastly, if you have any questions, or think I need to make some corrections, please inform me and I will do my best to answer/solve the issue.

Zedic
    Last edited by browna3; 09-03-2009, 12:32 PM. Reason: updated by request from poster

Pro Patria

Re: Zedic's radio procedure guide.

I fully support sticky'ing this thread.

In addition, I am making a training mission that includes this information as part of it.
    ---Bellicosity---

Comment

I think you are trying to get a little too complicated. Players are going to have to walk around with a radio procedure booklet for this stuff.

There is a hard enough time keeping formations and getting people to read a map let alone use NATO radio protocol to the T ..

Starting with simple stuff first would be good though, not sure if jumping into the deep end would help ...

Comment

This is great, but last mission people couldn't tell where they were cause they cant read a map..., but once people finally start learning more basic things, i.e. navigation then this is something we should encourage people to learn and use.

Comment

Originally posted by tralicrifleman View Post
          This is great, but last mission people couldn't tell where they were cause they cant read a map..., but once people finally start learning more basic things, i.e. navigation then this is something we should encourage people to learn and use.
          First off great post Zedic, certainly something to strive for

@Tralic
          I agree you shouldn't be relying on the in game marks or a GPS to navigate, orienteering and dead reckoning are serious skills that are fairly simple to get a basic grasp and these skills are really applicable to the real world as well. I suggest setting up a few basic missions on your own and work on getting around with a map and compass on expert mode.

Right now I'm giving a Map to PL, SL, and FTL soon I think I'm going to bump my quota down to PL and SL.

(Also working on a mission about a lost squad/decimated platoon set at midnight with no moon where you have to use celestial navigation to work your way back to friendly lines (you don't have a map or NVG's :))

Comment

Hey, thanks for taking the effort to hammer that guide out, but it's way too complicated for the average guy jumping into the game. There's plenty to learn before getting into blabbering away in proper comms discipline. Seriously, once VON gets fixed, all these problems with radio chatter will go away.

Comment

Some of the people playing here don't even understand "top numbers first, side numbers second", but we're talking eight digit grid refs on the fly?

Come on man, gotta crawl before you can run.

Comment

Well they'll never learn how to run if you don't push em. Sure people will screw up as you go but people pick it up pretty quick. If a few people are doing it right and everyone in a leading role position encourages others to attempt proper communication we'll start seeing the above as SOP.

Just emphasize it and it will become normal.
                ---Bellicosity---

Comment

First of all I applaud you if you actually typed all that out.

Secondly, no. Well, mostly no. The only thing that one could really use from this is the last part - squad names could be helpful for quick organization... and the 'translation' of radio terms that I and a few others use.

But really, that's both extremely complicated and entirely unnecessary to the point of convolution. In fact, 'complicated' isn't even what I feel. 'Utterly uncessary' perhaps.

Firstly, Teamspeak simply doesn't support the depth of communication that you're requiring there. Take the artillery request, it'd take me like 10 minutes to spit all that out. We've only got so many channels and so many keybinds here. We also don't have enough people to have a 400 man army where we have a whole team dedicated to artillery or something.

While the military is one thing, the rule of the day is "KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID". By adhering to that guideline, first of all, I can guarantee you that nobody will 'get it' for quite a while, meaning there will be misunderstandings, request for clarification, making everything take longer than it already is (by way of your guide). Secondly, it's just ridiculously beyond what a video game needs.
                  Last edited by Uranium - 235; 08-02-2009, 11:53 PM.

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to post this Zedic.
                    I'm sure the people that aren't used to or aware of such protocol & procedures will find them useful.

While I agree with most posts above, we can at least push towards some mature commo rules.
                    "...my dog ate my sock and the fumes of my sweat/pus soaked sock induced a spasm..."
                    While funny, during games sometimes its just not in the right time.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Originally posted by LowSpeedHighDrag View Post
                      Thanks for taking the time to post this Zedic.
                      I'm sure the people that aren't used to or aware of such protocol & procedures will find them useful.

While I agree with most posts above, we can at least push towards some mature commo rules.
                      "...my dog ate my sock and the fumes of my sweat/pus soaked sock induced a spasm..."
                      While funny, during games sometimes its just not in the right time.
                      That has more to do with simple 'radio discipline' than what is proposed here, where "Delta" squad in-game will be the snipers, but we're going to call them "Viper" because it sounds cool.

BREVITY: No one likes a Chatty Cathy, keep your Traffic brief and to the point. Avoid long winded answers or requests. Again, as stated before, TAKE THE TIME TO THINK OF WHAT TO SAY! CUT THE CRAP OUT, AND GET THE BARE MINIMUM NEEDED FOR THE RECEIVING CALLSIGN TO GET THE MESSAGE!
                      Taken from the original post, and yet the entire guide is about how to turn any situation into a 45-line ordeal I'd need... well, a guide to follow.
                      Last edited by Uranium - 235; 08-03-2009, 12:58 AM.

Comment

Nice post Zedic hopefully we can put it into practice in the near future.

Comment

I must admit, I was initially a naysayer and a skeptic, but now that I've seen it in action, yeah, this is doable. Maybe not all the niggling details, but people got the jist of things down within five minutes.

On a related note, I had a wall of text written on the differences between this and radio procedures as I know them but I realize that the differences were because A) mounted, on roads, you tend to less precision and more speed because things are moving faster and B) SOPs were in place so a lot of the transmissions basically consisted of "audibles"; modifications to previous plans.

For example, I can get away with a contact report consisting of "Costco, Applesauce. Troops, out."

They (Costco) know that I (Applesauce) should be at XXX YYY at this time, I am in contact with troops without any crew-served weapons and (since I didn't state any intentions) I'm going to be following the SOP of blowing through them. We don't have that sort of thing here at TG. THAT is unnecessary.

Originally posted by Uranium - 235 View Post
                          Firstly, Teamspeak simply doesn't support the depth of communication that you're requiring there. Take the artillery request, it'd take me like 10 minutes to spit all that out.
                          It's a learned skill, like flying. And we politely ask people who are terrible pilots to not fly. And it's two portions that you say that actually matter (grid ref and number of rounds), everything else is greater control over effects or you're repeating back informative transmissions. You could never acknowledge a shot/splash call and nothing bad would ever happen because of it.

We've only got so many channels and so many keybinds here. We also don't have enough people to have a 400 man army where we have a whole team dedicated to artillery or something.
                          With something like 30 people, we had four different ground elements (Warrior 1-3 and 9), three helos (S*something 1-3) and an artillery battery (Steel Rain). Comms weren't perfect, but they were workable, which is more than I can say for the majority of TG missions with that many elements. With VON working and a little bit of scripting comms could have been a lot better.

Comment

Originally posted by Apocal View Post
                            Some of the people playing here don't even understand "top numbers first, side numbers second",
                            Simplest rule for giving grid co-ords.....

"Along the corridor and up the stairs!"

So...go across the map then up the map to find the grid point of reference.

It's the phrase I learned many moons ago....

Nice guide Zedic...will take a while but pieces of this will start appearing more and more at TG as time goes on...
                            BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

Ive noticed that if people even do half this, like requesting permission to talk, saying who their talking to and who's talking, and ending their statements with 'over' or 'out' it really unclutters TS.

We had a mission earlier today where it was just beautiful how smooth comms went with the spirit of this guide implemented
                              ---Bellicosity---

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X